VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 74 Posts

· Registered
3,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So last night, in a moment of pure stupidity, I ran my car with yakima roof rack and bike into my garage. The rack was ripped from the roof, scoring the roof and leaving several dents. I took it to a reputable body shop and the estimate is over $3000 to fix. Interior headliner must removed, roof pulled back into shape and painting the entire roof and rear quarter panels.
Now I purchased this car two years ago for around $4,000 and it now has 203K miles. I suspect its still worth around $4,000 fixed, but could probably get $2,000 or more in it's current state. The interior is mint black leather, and the exterior(other than the roof) is in really good shape. Mechanically is solid as well... would make a great spec car.
Now I'd love to not fix it, but I can't look at it in this condition everyday.
Here's the question... Do I fix the car and keep it or do I sell it?
To fix it could cost $3,500 and the repairs could take as long as a month. I'll need to find other transportation during that time. Now I absolutely love the car, its easy to fix and repairs are cheap. It's a great drive. It's not always a honeymoon though. It is 20 years old has some annoying rattles and drips a little oil. I've put about a grand into in the past gear for engine/tranny mounts and a new driveshaft. It has over 200k miles and the engine won't go on forever.
My other option is to sell the car, and get something newer. I'd loose less money on the car in this circumstance, figuring I could sell it for around $2,000. Since the car is drivable, I could take my time finding a new car. My problem here is I've been trying to buy a house, and a car payment would not be ideal. My second problem is that I don't know what to get. I was looking at ZHP's about 6 months ago and I really like them, but would also consider an A3 3.2... or maybe something else? feel free to suggest.
Here she is in her former glory...

what do i do?

updated pics of damage

Modified by poopy_pants at 11:52 AM 3-20-2010

· Registered
4,615 Posts
Try to talk to a paintless dent removal guy... Without seeing the pictures, I have no idea how bad it truly is and therefore I'm not sure if a PDR is even an option... but it would be worth consulting with one.
I'd get the roof fixed and then get a big piece of matte black vinyl and put it on top of the car... always think that looks kind of cool on black cars (and it'll save you $).
Anyways, perhaps I should put a flamesuit on, but it's just an idea/suggestion.

· Registered
7,502 Posts
Re: need some advice, ran my e30 w/bike on roof into my garage (poopy_pants)

ouch. IMO get your roof rack back up there forget about the scratches/dents and just drive the car. I sure as heck wouldn't put thousands into cosmetic fixes on a car only worth thousands.
edit: I actually like the post above about black vinyl on top. Cheap and if you did it right, the car would look almost 100%

Modified by Amdek at 9:43 AM 3-20-2010

· Registered
3,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: FV-QR (lowredcabrio)

Quote, originally posted by lowredcabrio »
insurance... isn't that what it's for? You had an accident, use your insurance.

I dont have any deductibles. Plus $3500 would certainly total the car.

· Registered
3,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Re: (22AudiQ)

Quote, originally posted by 22AudiQ »
Try to talk to a paintless dent removal guy... Without seeing the pictures, I have no idea how bad it truly is and therefore I'm not sure if a PDR is even an option... but it would be worth consulting with one.
I'd get the roof fixed and then get a big piece of matte black vinyl and put it on top of the car... always think that looks kind of cool on black cars (and it'll save you $).
Anyways, perhaps I should put a flamesuit on, but it's just an idea/suggestion.

I've considered this option... I could do matte black, glossy... maybe white?

· Registered
3,562 Posts
Re: FV-QR (poopy_pants)

Quote, originally posted by poopy_pants »

I dont have any deductibles. Plus $3500 would certainly total the car.

then total it and buy it back, keep it with salvage title. With that mileage and age it only has a few good years left in it anyways so no need to worry about title condition. Continue to drive it and dump it at the scrapper when done.

· Registered
3,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: FV-QR (bpfoley)

Quote, originally posted by bpfoley »

then total it and buy it back, keep it with salvage title. With that mileage and age it only has a few good years left in it anyways so no need to worry about title condition. Continue to drive it and dump it at the scrapper when done.

well i don't have comprehensive insurance, so it's not really an option.

· Banned
21,206 Posts
FV-QR

Quote, originally posted by bpfoley »

And end up with higher insurance costs for 5 years over cosmetic damage on a car that's car end of life, great idea.

· Registered
80 Scirocco, 87 Scirocco 16v, 86 Quantum Syncro, 91 318is, 84 230CE, 99 Tacoma PreRunner
25,489 Posts

It looks like your sunroof panel took the worst of the damage, so I'd try to pick up another sunroof assembly from a junkyard. Maybe look into having some PDR done on the other dents, and see if some of the scratches won't buff out with a good polishing.

· Registered
3,252 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Re: (22AudiQ)

Quote, originally posted by 22AudiQ »
Yep, talk to a paintless dent removal guy.
I'm no expert, but I'm 65% sure a good one could knock those out.

paintless may help a few of the dents, but the sunroof is scored and needs to be repainted and there is other scoring not pictured.

· Registered
3,446 Posts

I was in same situation, trying to by a house, and my transmission went out in my 20 year old Jetta GLI.
Trust me on this: if the car is drivable, drive it until you get the house. Even if it's a year later, drive the car. Having a car payment can ding you on what you qualify for in terms of house payment.
I ended up paying $1200 or so to fix my tranny and keep me in the house hunting game. Got the house 6 months later, and then I got my new car.
Your net worth will thank me later.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.