VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

· Banned
25,636 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
while removing the coolant neck, two of the three bolts broke off at the head. was able to remove one with some lube and vise grips, the other, not so lucky.
drilled it, and tryed to use an easy-out. easy-out broke off in bolt. tryed to weld to bolt, wont due to easy out being in there

any ideas? could just get another 1.6 head, i already got one lined up. but if anybody has a suggestion, please let me know, this is a good head and id rather not have to replace it. thanks!!

· Registered
193 Posts
Re: Need some help-bolt stuck in head(1.6) (VWralley)

I had a similar experience with exhaust manifold studs breaking off in my 1.8 head. Tried pretty much everything you mentioned (except welding) and ended up taking into a machine shop and they fixed it.

· Registered
893 Posts
Re: Need some help-bolt stuck in head(1.6) (VWralley)

Hey, craftsman / sears makes a really cool set of stud extractors. They look kind of like a socket but fit over the stud / bolt. Just tap it on and twist it off. Plus no broken easy off's. Soak it with some gunk or liquid wrench and give it a try. B

· Registered
19,087 Posts
Re: (gonebored)

kinda hard with an easy out stuck in there, and i assume it's broke off pretty much flush with the head, or no? if you have room to work with i say try them craftsman things as well. however from the description of not being able to weld because of the easy out, you sound pretty much FUBAR.
can you drill the whole thing out and stick a helicoil in?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.