VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey, i have headunit issues.. I was on my way to night classes the other day and my headunit went off then came right back on.. Im like strange.. Then it does it like 3 more times in a row. I was already late for class so i just turned it off and ran in.. When i came back out my headunit wouldnt come on at all. I looked at the wire it seemed fine but i went ahead and rewired everything way better then i had originally done it. Also my fuse Radio fuse is fine. and the little one ont he back of the headunit is fine.. "HELP"

·
Registered
5,398 Posts
Re: Need some help! (VeedubIII)

aftermarket hu, I'd assume?
It SOUNDS like your accessory wire is lose, turning the radio on and off.
Check the wiring harness adapter. Take the prongs out, use a small screw driver and pull the "wings" out more, and put them back into their little "holes".
When I was just using the aftermarket HU and no amps/sub/anything, just stock monsoon and speakers, the wire came looks in the connection part of the wiring harness and it caused my rear drivers speakers to make a ticking noise. It took me forever to diagnose the problem. It was simple as that.
It may not be the cure, but it sounds like a good step in the right direction.

·
Registered
617 Posts

well i see u didnt get any help yet... i dont know if u resolved it yet... but if not.... its most likely a ground problem... possibly a speaker ground..(more liekly if u have aftermarket speakers)... somethings touching metal that shouldnt be... and thats not good... even if it turns on agian ... shut it off and find where its grounding out... or u could end up frying... well thast my guess anyways... ive worked in the car audio work for over 2 years... but i cuold always be wrong! let me know if u get it to work or if u need help!

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Re: Need some help! (thisGIRLdrivesaGTI)

Well for the aftermarket cd player there are two sets of harnesses that connect to the large single harness for the cd player itself.. One harness is for speakers, the other is for power, ground, etc. The speaker ground should have nothing to do with it as it is a seperate harness. The power one is the one giving me issues, but you may be on to something with the ground though.. It just seemed strange to me that it would work fine for over a year then a single wire would go bad..

·
Registered
5,398 Posts

It's entirely possible.
Don't forget that your ground is more important than the power wire. Because we're running in DC power, you can not get electricity to flow with just the power. You also need the ground.

·
Registered
1,171 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Re: Need some help! (pwnt by pat)

Im still trying to figure this little issue which seems to have blown itself out of proportion.. I can occasionally get my test light to light up when i press in the ignition. So i know that there is some kinda of current available from that wire.. what ground am i looking for to make sure its grounded properly.. Is there something bolted to the chassis that ties into this harness.. I figured i'd solve this little issue in a day, ive been frustrated for several days now..UGH!

·
Registered
5,398 Posts

Just sure where all of your ground wires touch the chassie, you sand down to bare metal and that the pannels you're grounded to are actually bolted to the rest of the body in a strong location. The more locations, the better.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts