VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okey, I got everything hooked up. Have the ignition wire hooked into the fuse box to turn it on, have the light wire hooked into the parking lights to light the thing up, and I have the signal wire hooked into the black O2 sensor wire. Heres where it gets weird. First i'm getting hardly know signal. Its just sitting at rich doesnt move back and forth at idle or anything. Plus when you hit the lights it then jumps 2 led positions toward lean..very weird. the ground is good. Then when i had it hooked up to the parkin lights and I tried to turn the lights off they wouldnt even turn off. I had the switch in the off position and they wouldnt turn off. When i pulled the gauge wire for the light out of the parking light fuse then the parking lights worked fine. This is really confusing the hell outa me. Anybody know what the problem could be here?? I also have an oil pressure gauge hooked up and that is working fine. Its getting a good reading and when i hot the lights its fine. Just the A/F gauge is being stupid. Both the gauges are autometer lunar series and the car is a 93 corrado slc. any help would be appreciated.
thanks
troy

[Modified by 93VdubSLC, 10:02 PM 8-5-2002]

·
Registered
2,172 Posts
Re: NEED some serious help with this air/fuel gauge (SLC PUNK-187)

i know when i hooked mine up,i hooked the power into the fuel pump fuse,the ground into the chassis,a good ground,no other ground wire with it.and since mines a g60 i vampire cliped into the purple signal wire.when i start it up it stays in the stoich area,but when it heats up it jumps around back and forth,like it should.hope this helps http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
4,211 Posts
Re: NEED some serious help with this air/fuel gauge (93VdubSLC)

It sounds like you may have hooked it up to the wrong wire in the O2 harness. If you got the power wire for the O2 heater I think it would cause those problems. Double check that you are spliced into the signal wire. Check it with a meter. The heater wire will be a constant voltage while the signal wire will vary between 0-1 V.

·
Registered
763 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Okey, I still have the gauge hooked up the same way. When the car is turned on it sits at rich, after it warms up like 7 minutes it moves closer to stoich. but it never moves back and forth between rich and lean like it should, then when you give it some gas and let off, it'll jump back and forth one time, then return to the same rich position. still kinda confused, i have it hooked to the black wire. I believe there is 2 whites and a gray wire in there also. Do i have the right wire??

·
Registered
29,608 Posts

does your gas mileage suck?
Thats typical on a g60 motor of a faulted sensor. The air fuel needs to swing lean/rich for the catalyst action to occur. If its not swinging lean rich, you will not catalyst right and probably fail emissions.

·
Registered
4,889 Posts
Re: NEED some serious help with this air/fuel gauge (mrkrad)

the black wire is the right wire, do not connect to the white ones because you are going to fry it. THE GROUND HAS TO BE ATTACHED TO THE ENGINE, believe me you are just playing with a 0-1 volt range from the O2 sensor and any ground to the chassis won't give an accurate reading. if after grounding to the engine still gives you wire readings the you need an O2 sensor.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts