VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I decided Im gonna go down the shaving road for my gti. I just ordered a new badgeless grill and Im gonna fill the notch myself and since Im doing work on my bumper Im gonna shave the rubstrip. The only problem is that I dont know what I should use to fill. Obviusly body filler is a body idea cause it will crack. Does anyone know what the best product to use is? And if you have used it yourself, how easy is it to work with? Thanks

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
For the bumper, cut a little piece out of another bumper place in the notch and bondo around it smooth ext, for fenders and stuff you need to weld a piece in sand smooth ext lots of work, to shave rubstrips you need to cut the rubstrip down put it in and bondo around it sand ext to get the flat effect.

·
Registered
15,993 Posts
For the bumper, cut a little piece out of another bumper place in the notch and bondo around it smooth ext, for fenders and stuff you need to weld a piece in sand smooth ext lots of work, to shave rubstrips you need to cut the rubstrip down put it in and bondo around it sand ext to get the flat effect.
no

you plastic weld in your filler pieces

then you throw your bondo out and purchase fusor

if you dont have experience with body work it may be more cost effective to have it done by a pro

doing it yourself and it cracking out and then getting it repaired will cost you more in the long run

·
Registered
1,735 Posts
sorry for saying bondo never dont body work and thought i remember people saying that, my apologize

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
what I do is cut out a filler piece from a spare bumper and abs weld those pieces in. you can purchase a plastic welder at harbor freight for around 60 bucks. I personally dont like the plastic welder even though it is fast because it blows a lot of material around I personally like to use a soldering iron and just take my time.

Once piece is soldered into place fusor is not necessary as it is a bonding agent and not a finishing material. You would use fusor in place of abs welding. Im not a big fan of fuzor as it can bubble and cause you to have to redo your work.

Once you have welded pieces into place you can either use the poly glaze from ever coat or metal glaze they both work the same. This is your finishing work to get the piece smooth and shaped the way you want it.

here are some progress pics...lip was done using fuzor rub strip was plastic welded

·
Registered
7,801 Posts
for anything metal, weld , grind and glaze over.

For bumpers and other plastic you can use fusor or 3M 8115.
Cut out a filler piece for whatever your doing, fill with choice of filler, glaze over with polyflex.

I've worked with both fusor and 8115 and both are great. 8115 has a longer work time if you need it.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts