VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
213 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well... here's the situation. As we all know, winter's coming and I'm debating a few issues involving winter tires. First, I've always had some for no matter what car I drove so that's not the thing. The thing is that I'm wondering if I should get some 15" steelies (yes... you know what kind!
) and put some winter rubber on there or.... should I buy some teardrops and mount my 14" rubber (from previous car) on there?? Would 14" clear my disc brakes is what I'm wondering? Also, how much did you pay for your winter tires in a 205/50/15 size? I'm thinking it's gonna be an expensive tire compared to a 14"?! Anyways... any advice or opinion would be cool. Here's a picture of what's coming off.

[Modified by Vdubfan, 12:28 PM 9-26-2002]

·
Registered
23,371 Posts
Re: Need tires/rims advice... (Vdubfan)

No Im pretty sure you wont be able to fit the 14" tear drops on there. If you have the 10.1" rotors you wont be able to fit anything smaller than 15" wheels. So just get the ever so rare Corrado Steelies

·
Registered
2,682 Posts
Re: Need tires/rims advice... (danny_16v)

I have 195/55/15 Michelin Arctic Alpins. They work great, no clearance issues on the stock BBS's, but the car's a little more sluggish with the increased overall diameter and the softer "feel" of the AA's. I feel a little, well, wasteful having the BBS's on in winter and the borbets (15" type E's) in summer, should be the other way around, but can't justify the $100 it would cost to change 'em around.
I'd say stick with 15" if you can afford it, but you may want to test-fit some VW 14"ers - they fit my old '91 16VGTI jus' fine (I had the "bottlecap" alloys for winter - still have 'em as spares a matter of fact).

·
Registered
125 Posts
Re: Need tires/rims advice... (Vdubfan)

14" will fit over 10.1" brakes. I use to run snow flakes with Blizzaks in the winter on my 91 gli before she started getting put up for the winter. If you plan to get 15" winter tires you might want a 195/50/15 or something narrower than a 205. A narrow tire is better in snow and ice.
Good luck,
Jesse

1 - 5 of 5 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.