VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
199 Posts
Re: Need to buy the Spreader tools for the front suspension in MKIv, where??? (VW_GOLF_MK4)

Autotech has them I think they are $10. It works good on the driver side but the pass side still sucks. I dont know why but the pass side really sucks to get out. Its def worth the money though

·
Registered
7,199 Posts
Re: Need to buy the Spreader tools for the front suspension in MKIv, where??? (veedubdave02)

The passenger side is harder because the driveshaft can't lower to the same angle as the drivers side - due to the fact that it is longer.

·
Banned
3,170 Posts
Re: Need to buy the Spreader tools for the front suspension in MKIv, where??? (VW_GOLF_MK4)

yep get it at autotech it works real good. you'll only use it one time but if anyone else needs it you can charge them http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
841 Posts
Re: Need to buy the Spreader tools for the front suspension in MKIv, where??? (SONIC S)

You could just grind down the end of a bolt and save yourself alittle cash.

·
Registered
280 Posts

Use a 3/8" to 1/4" socket adapter, and turn it sideways once you get it in the slot. It will stay there, and hold the clamp open while you remove the strut. Cheap, and you are sure to have one laying around if you have any tools at all. That's what I used, and if I had figured it out when I started installing my suspension, I would have saved about 2 1/2 hours. Hindsight is 20/20.

·
Registered
943 Posts

i installed my own cup kit and i didn't need the spreader tool. All i used was an allen key, If you position the right sized allen key in the crevice, all you have to do is turn it and it works. It does take a little muscle though

·
Registered
4,739 Posts
Re: Need to buy the Spreader tools for the front suspension in MKIv, where??? (Kwan1)

use a chisel, worked many times for me.

·
Registered
3,553 Posts
Re: Need to buy the Spreader tools for the front suspension in MKIv, where??? (nielksj)

quote:[HR][/HR]use a chisel, worked many times for me.[HR][/HR]​
Ditto, chisel worked fine for me. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
1,109 Posts
Re: Need to buy the Spreader tools for the front suspension in MKIv, where??? (nielksj)

chisel worked for me, also a 1/4" ratchet w/short extension works good...

·
Registered
1,713 Posts
Re: Need to buy the Spreader tools for the front suspension in MKIv, where??? (rubenl)

quote:[HR][/HR]chisel worked for me, also a 1/4" ratchet w/short extension works good...
[HR][/HR]​
With these improvised tools, did you still have to hammer to get the strut out? With the real tool, the struts simply fal apart in your hands with zero hammering.

·
Registered
1,260 Posts
Re: Need to buy the Spreader tools for the front suspension in MKIv, where??? (Tuba_Transport)

I tried using a chisel, screwdriver, allen key ... everything.
Nothing worked _nearly_ as well as the spreader tool, when I finally got it. But then again, maybe I'm just a weaknut.....

--noah

·
Premium Member
6,478 Posts
Re: Need to buy the Spreader tools for the front suspension in MKIv, where??? (noahlh)

Go to autozone or any home improvement store and buy a stubby flat head screw driver. the total length is less than 4". Make sure it has a wide enough head. Turn the wheel so you can get at one side, tap it in with a hammer and the strut falls out like butta. I have done this 10 times now on numerous cars. total cost $2.50. Good luck. if ya have any more questions, feel free to ask!

·
Registered
4,156 Posts
Re: Need to buy the Spreader tools for the front suspension in MKIv, where??? (Vr6en)

I used my .25" adapter! hammer it in and twist. Work just fine.
Have fun with the passanger side
!

·
Premium Member
6,478 Posts
Re: Need to buy the Spreader tools for the front suspension in MKIv, where??? (Blacklightning)

If you have access to a impact wrench, the passenger side can be done very easily! all you do is remove the top bolt in the engine bay with the impact, then remove the second bolt with the impact. the stock spring will be completely uncompressed and then you just rotate it down off of the perch and lift the bottom of the strut out and you are done. very simple! no need to loosen tie rod ends, subframe bolts, hub, etc...

·
Registered
1,108 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]use a chisel, worked many times for me.[HR][/HR]​
i did the same...just had one person pullin on the chisel to loosen and the other person twisting and removing the bottom of the coilover from the control arm

1 - 17 of 17 Posts