VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
4,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and I are looking for an SUV and need your suggestions. We were looking at the Mazda Tribute and LR Freelander (those are the two we liked so far) What do you guys think?
Let us know.. thanks

·
Registered
248 Posts
Re: Need to get an SUV ($25K-30K range). Any suggestions. (dichiee)

I love the Freelander and I think I will be getting one soon. If you are thinking about having kids, it may not be the best SUV however. If you are not worried about a trendy label like LR, I'd suggest a Ford Escape..... my best friend has one and I love it, but its a Ford, and I don't like the looks of it. GOOD LUCK!!
If for the freelander, I'd suggest getting the SE version almost fully loaded (ooh, Monte Carlo Blue, so nice). If you are a disco (discovery) wannabe--- SDs start at $33,000 and I'm sure you could land a great deal on a new one with teh 2003 Discos coming out in July or earlier. SD is as nice as the SE, just has "duragrain" instead of leather which is basically the same. Whatever you choose, you will be getting a good car...

·
Registered
980 Posts
Re: Need to get an SUV (JettaBoy04)

FreeLander looks pretty good, and it's supposed to be fairly competent off-road. I've never been inside one, so I can't really vouch for it. I do know that they're offering pretty great lease rates on them, so they must not be selling all that well. The advertisement I saw was for $299 a month with less than $1500 out the door.
The XTerra SC is also a good choice in that range, as is the Jeep Liberty.

·
Registered
2,081 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]Need to get an SUV ($25K-30K range). Any suggestions.[HR][/HR]​
SUV? May I suggest a shot with a 9mm right between the eyes? End the misery quickly

No, in all seriousness, I really like the Tribute. Anyone that I know who's driven it loves the feel, and it has a very un-trucklike ride. The Freelander looks great as well, but I'd give that a year or two to prove that it's reliabile.
-Mike

·
Registered
22,172 Posts

Wait for the Honda Element later this year. It's based off the Civic like the CRV. Craaaaazy cool interior versatility!
I also like the Saturn VUE, but it's interior is gruesome pathetic. Pretty sad coming from a GM employee. Shame, because the exterior is quite attractive compared to the innocuous Tribute/Escape (which are great Cute-utes by the way).
If the FL is anything like the Disco... I'd pass. People make fun of GM's low rent interior. Gimme a break! Until BMW got a hold of their premiere ride, it was a great offroader begging for proper interior design.

·
Registered
8,261 Posts
Re: Need to get an SUV (uncleho)

i don't know if it is in your range once equipped, but i like the trailblazer. i drove one awhile back and i love the inline six. it is much nicer than any s-10 blazer i've owned.
anyway it's just my opinion, so don't flame me for recommending a GM product.

·
Registered
4,249 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: Need to get an SUV (matoo3)

thanks for the suggestion guys... I like the X-terra SC .. its actually my first choice but I wanted to stay with the Euro looks. I liked the Tribute because of the roomy back seats compared to the FL and the price w/ navigation is a best buy but it doesn't have the electronic manual mode of the FL... I wanted to do some shifting and auto for the wife at the same time hehe. The Trailblazer is the one I really like but she doesn't want the looks of it but maybe I can convince her. For Hoda's... no matter how great they are I WON'T GET ONE.. hehe no flames but I wanted to be different from friends, relatives, neighbors, pets, etc etc. hehe and no Toyota please we don't like the looks too
I like the looks of the VUE also but... i don't know and
ok so we got
Land Rover Freelander
Mazda Tribute
Nissan X-Terra
Chevy Trailblazer

·
Registered
17,056 Posts

I think it depends on what you need an SUV for.
Do you plan to tow with it? If so, how much weight and how far?
Do you need lots of interior room?
Do you plan to off-road with it? (not dirt roads, Off Road)
In general, all GM, Ford, and Jeep/Chrysler products are complete garbage. Go Japanese if you don't require the towing capacity of a V8 and you can live with less interior space. If you don't get all the gee-whiz options, you can find a 4Runner or Pathfinder in that price range. Both are much more reliable than any Ford, GM, or Jeep product. The baby Utes from Honda (CR-V) and Toyota (RAV-4) also have great reliability reputations if you can get by with a much smaller car.
I drive a stinkin' Ford Exploder since I need the towing capacity. With a 100,000 mile Ford extended warranty to deal with the perpetual breakage issues, it fits my needs. Trust me, you don't want to own one that's out of warranty. You can buy the warranties online at a steep discount online. I got mine from some dealer in Iowa at http://www.fordwarrantycentral.com

·
Registered
237 Posts
Re: Need to get an SUV (dichiee)

I will vote for the Nissan Pathfinder. It has handsome looks and a gem of an engine under its hood. It rides really well being unibody instead of body over frame like most other SUV's.
Pathfinder is the winner of Edmund's most wanted midsize SUV for 2002, for what it's worth.

·
Registered
525 Posts

Get a slightly used Discovery. They depreciate real fast and come with nice warranties. It will kick the crap out of an Xterra. Nice paintjobs too.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Re: Need to get an SUV (TabulaRasa)

quote:[HR][/HR]Chevy Trailblazer.
Can't go wrong with an inline-6.[HR][/HR]​
That engine is great. I can't believe GM was able to produce it. 275 hp, not only does it have OHC, it has DOHC, and 4 valves per cylinder.. Well done. However, I dislike the Plastiacish body styling of that car.. so unless they put in an S-10 based Blazer (or a extended cab, 4x4 version of the S-10 or 1500 truck) or a 2-door, lightened Tahoe, my choice would be either Jeep Cherokee (they're very capable off road, despite their Ken & Barby image), or a used Land Rover disco.

·
Registered
1,813 Posts
Re: Need to get an SUV (strlen)

Too bad you don't like Toyota, cause you could easily get an extended cab (can seat enough people), 4x4, fully loaded V6 Tahoma with a TRD package for way under 30k (that's what I'd buy if I needed some off road capacity, and a towing capability). If you just need something to go in the snow on skiing trip without snow chains, I'd opt for the A4 quattro avant or WRX wagon.

·
Banned
7,292 Posts
Re: Need to get an SUV (strlen)

quote:[HR][/HR]I dislike the Plastiacish body styling of that car..[HR][/HR]​
Doesn't matter when it's covered in mud.

[Modified by TabulaRasa, 11:44 PM 4-8-2002]

·
Premium Member
'21 Tacoma TRD-Offroad – '94 Miata – '16 RAV4
38,374 Posts

Used Discovery or a used Grand Cherokee with the bulletprrof I-6. That would be my choice if I wanted to keep it cheap and practical.
If new, I definately recommend the Trailblazer or one of it's brothers (Envoy/Sillouette). My mom has a Trailblazer, and it has been great for her. Amazing engine, but I found the interior a bit... odd. The seats were strangly shaped IMO.

[Modified by Sporin, 8:35 AM 4-9-2002]

·
Registered
'20 Kia Telluride SX, '17 Mazda CX-5, '07 Airstream Safari SE 23'
11,118 Posts
Re: Need to get an SUV (Sporin)

Sporin meant to say that the twin to the Envoy/Trailblazer was the Bravada....

Anywho, I need to mention that $30k would buy one hell of a Passat wagon or used Audi A6 avant....
If I was buying a SUV, I'd wait for the Honda Pilot - an MDX on the cheap. I really enjoy driving the Ford Escape, but reliability has been poor and it is far from a hardcore off-roader. The Element lacks four real doors - the back ones are suicide doors. And as readers of the Daily News know, I'm not a fan of the lack of carpeting in the back for, ummm, extra-curricular activities....
nokona has an excellent point - what are your intended purposes for the vehicle?
Tom

1 - 20 of 41 Posts