VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

21 - 40 of 87 Posts

·
Planters (fasciitis) peanuts. Dang dogg
19,843 Posts
Selling this:
in the valley by hushypushy, on Flickr

It was my gift to myself when I turned 30. Told myself that if I ever needed money, I'd sell it. Well three years later, I wanted to change my career. I was burned out, miserable, and it was impacting my relationship. So I did the crazy thing, and I quit without another job lined up. I needed time to decompress from what was an 18 month long death march of misery. I don't like touching savings or investments, so the logical choice was that the car needed to go.

Sold car. Made money back. Then I got a job 10 days later. Relationship was toasted and while we did our best to fix it, I put a nail in it 6 months later.

Good news was that while I lost an E9, proceeds from that car funded a lot of great adventures for the next few years, and I finally got back what I was missing for years, which was my own personal happiness. I just wish knowing now that I would have gotten the job that I did right after I sold it, that I had just hung onto it and dipped into savings.

Oh well. Life has a way of going on.

·
Registered
9,417 Posts
1974 Alfa Romeo GTV purchased in 1998 for $3000, good condition driver from San Diego (Cali blue plate car). Sold in 2001 to pay for a wedding, doubled my money which I thought was great. Now $6000 won't even get you a rusted out shell and a VIN.
Ouch. But I have seen rusted out shells in that price range, and good mostly solid shells with everything there in the $10k range. There's a rusty driver for sale on AlfaBB for $14k that's been sitting- you could probably get it for $12k.

·
Registered
25 Posts
About 10 years ago I passed on buying a clean, unmodified 92 integra GSR for $3500. Not really sure what they go for today, but I still think about that car and have the sads.

·
Registered
7,588 Posts
Probably--no, definitely--my biggest car regret was selling my 1969 Charger. I bought it as a solid rolling shell for $600, but at a time when I lived in an apartment and had no place to actually work on it... so after sitting on it for a year and a half, I sold it for the same price. Now I would kill to buy that exact same condition car for $5000.

Also high on my regrets list was when I passed on buying my general sales manager's Delorean. He bought it when we took it in on trade (!) and kept it for ~5 years while doing little maintenance here and there. It was a 5-speed with under 100k miles in great running condition, but he almost never drove it--it just sat in his garage, so he decided to unload it. I asked him what he wanted for it, and he told me $12,000. I knew this was well under its market value, and I was ready to jump on it... but I decided not to. He placed an online ad, and in less than 60 minutes someone was at his house with a trailer and cash in hand. I'm sure that dude is still laughing today.

There have been other smaller regrets over the years, but none compare to these two.

·
Registered
45,006 Posts
My biggest automotive selling regret is my '58 VW single cab pickup or my '60 Kombi. Neither brings anything close to Deluxe Microbus money, but both are worth 10X what they were when I sold them in the '90s and with what's happened to them I highly doubt I'll ever have another. Le sigh. :(

On the other end of the deal I, on two separate occasions, missed out on a buildable 912. I lost one because I couldn't get in touch with the owner who was supposed to be back into the parts place where I worked. This was about 1984, long before cell phones, or even pagers. It was also when they were worth nothing. It was an early '65 3 gauge car (folks knowledgeable in early 911s will understand that) and the guy wanted just $500 for it, and it ran and drove. He didn't come back into town for several weeks, so what did he do in the meantime? he cut the fenders and quarters out, put big mud tires on it and beat it up in the woods. I wanted to throttle the guy. :mad:

The second was a solid, nice '69 912, but with no engine. I could afford it, but knew I'd have to put a VW engine in it for the time being (with the intention of getting a proper engine later). It belonged to a friend of mine and he had a buyer in Canada who was backing out of the deal. I told him I'd take it, but he (rightly) said he'd have to get in touch with the other guy. He later called me and said something like "I hate to disappoint you, but when he realized he would lose out he paid me to ship it." I said "I would've been disappointed in you if you had backed out of the deal". He was a stand-up guy. Rest in peace, Ken. :(

·
Registered
2,952 Posts
84 GTI...black with red pinstripe, recaros, it was in really good shape ! It had a crank sunroof, pullout alpine radio...no rust, less than 100k on the odo - super clean car! Bought in about late 2000 - early 2001 - sold it right after 9/11
I think i bought it for about $ 1500 bucks back then...such a steal

I had 4 cars at the time and no place to put them all.

I had a 96 gti , 01 tacoma, 90 and 91 dsm - all while living in my friends moms basement lol

Sold the GTI for $ 200 bucks to my cousin...that is right

two
hundred
bucks!!!!

I think i saw one sell on bringatrailer for like 25k lol...fml

·
Registered
2,824 Posts
I got rid of an S2 in 2007 for maybe $20K. What are they selling for in 2021? Maybe $20K. Sigh.

·
Registered
982, F22, E88, etc.
5,803 Posts
On the other end of the deal I, on two separate occasions, missed out on a buildable 912.
Only on one occasion did I miss out, but that's my biggest regret too. 2009 I was road biking past a farm and there was a white 912 parked in front with a sign that said "FS, broken 3rd gear, $2500." That was a deal even then but I was a broke grad student. I woulda-coulda-shoulda scraped the cash together and fixed it in my parents garage. I don't even care how much it would be worth now, I'd just like the car.

·
Registered
26,309 Posts
Selling my '87 325is because I didn't have a covered off-street spot to store it. It had undergone a full costmetic and mechanical restoration, from a full motor/drivetrain/suspension rebuild to glass-out respray. I sold it in 2005 for $5750, which was all the money for an E30 then. It'd be a $15k car today, if I could find one that nice.

·
Registered
26,309 Posts
Oh, and:

In 2001, I purchased a one owner Mk1 GLI (white/blue) from the owner of The Rabbit Hutch in OR. They were closing the business and liquidating everything, including a number of cars they owned. It had been purchased new in 1985 as a leftover, and nicely modded through the years. No accidents/paintwork, brand new ported head, suspension, unobtainium Oscam wheels and Zender front spoiler. I drove it home, and a 17y/o driver hit it the same day, totaling it.

I didn't have a place to stash it/work on it, so I let the insurance company take it. Makes me nauseous still just thinking about it.

·
Registered
2019 GLI Autobahn 6MT
824 Posts
I sold my fairly pristine Imola Yellow B5 S4 for $2,800 about 4-5 years ago. The interior was perfect, and the exterior was like 80-90% perfect, but I just could not keep spending money to find and fix all the boost leaks and other issues that came with a 17 year old, 120,000 mile car. I really wish I had the means and space to have kept it.

The worst part is, the guy I sold it to essentially flipped it to a guy who turned it into this:

·
Registered
2013 Audi A3 2.0Tq 2013 Audi TT-S
1,516 Posts
Yeah don't have any regrets like this either, at least not yet, but yeah can feel OP's pain. But I mean hey it's only a car anyway, sure it might be worth more now and sure you could have done it differently but hey at least you still have your wife, possibly kids (?), etc. :) (Now if you got divorced or were widowed or something, I'm just gonna quietly make my way out the back, lol.)

My regret is different than most, instead of regretting selling, I regret holding for so long. '90 Camaro I've had since '99, should've sold it in 2008 before I moved abroad - I've kept it way too long as I've long outgrown it and it's long become just a burden to maintain and insure and cruise nights feel like an obligation, not an enjoyment. Nice car, just ready to move on. Have it up for sale now. Crappy pic quality from pulling the pic back down from CL.

View attachment 81175
Wow that looks like a really nice example actually. Surely it's worth more now than it was in 2008, no?

·
Registered
2017 GLI
117 Posts
Selling this:
in the valley by hushypushy, on Flickr

It was my gift to myself when I turned 30. Told myself that if I ever needed money, I'd sell it. Well three years later, I wanted to change my career. I was burned out, miserable, and it was impacting my relationship. So I did the crazy thing, and I quit without another job lined up. I needed time to decompress from what was an 18 month long death march of misery. I don't like touching savings or investments, so the logical choice was that the car needed to go.

Sold car. Made money back. Then I got a job 10 days later. Relationship was toasted and while we did our best to fix it, I put a nail in it 6 months later.

Good news was that while I lost an E9, proceeds from that car funded a lot of great adventures for the next few years, and I finally got back what I was missing for years, which was my own personal happiness. I just wish knowing now that I would have gotten the job that I did right after I sold it, that I had just hung onto it and dipped into savings.

Oh well. Life has a way of going on.
Wow what a beaut’. Ive never seen that car, reminds me of a classic aston

·
Registered
4,367 Posts
I sold my fairly pristine Imola Yellow B5 S4 for $2,800 about 4-5 years ago. The interior was perfect, and the exterior was like 80-90% perfect, but I just could not keep spending money to find and fix all the boost leaks and other issues that came with a 17 year old, 120,000 mile car. I really wish I had the means and space to have kept it.

The worst part is, the guy I sold it to essentially flipped it to a guy who turned it into this:
such a downgrade(n) while B5 S4s in oem form werent that great handlers I always have loved how they look with the stock Avus wheels (y)

·
Registered
659 Posts
In high School I went and looked at a 79 factory all steel wide body 911 w/ whale tail for 10K and didn't buy it , instead bought a VW Corrado. Kicking myself ever since but I'm sure I would have killed myself in the first 6 months of owning that Porsche .... but it would have been worth it!

·
Planters (fasciitis) peanuts. Dang dogg
19,843 Posts
Wow what a beaut’. Ive never seen that car, reminds me of a classic aston
It is IMO the second prettiest BMW ever made. I miss it. Another TCL'er hushypushy took some glamor shots of it back when I owned it. 1970

21 - 40 of 87 Posts