VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

41 - 60 of 87 Posts

·
Registered
9,417 Posts
Buying this:

Instead of this:

Reliability would have been about the same.
Nah. S3 spiders are pretty reliable. Motor itself is quite proven and Bosch L-Jet was bog standard for the era. Only problem is a lot of them have been neglected because they were dirt cheap for a long time.

·
Registered
5,038 Posts
Wow that looks like a really nice example actually. Surely it's worth more now than it was in 2008, no?
Thanks and sure, but let's just say it hasn't climbed like a 911. Hasn't climbed enough to have made it worth keeping for 12 years considering what it has cost in that time in terms of insurance/maintenance/repairs...I also stored it for several years at a facility while I lived abroad too and until I bought my house when I came back home. I've been in my house 6 years now and I think I finally feel I held it long enough post-storage to feel ok letting it go.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Fire sale on a 91 M5 and a 01 SLK due to a divorce. Had to be done. Miss that M5 more than her.

Sent from my SM-G965U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
735 Posts
Too many but here's a few...

Junking my Dad's '93 Cadillac Coupe De Ville (girlfriend wrecked it and I could've/should've fixed it)
Selling any of my 3 Mk2 GTIs (2 red 16V and 1 black 8V)
Thrashing and trashing my first car ('83 Jetta with manual everything)
Not fixing and keeping my second "car" ('77 K5 Blazer and I blew the engine so I sold it to a friend for WAAAAAY too cheap)
Getting rid of 2 of the 3 old retired Crown Vics I've owned (truly great cars, super dependable, comfortable, etc.)

More or less, in that order.

·
Registered
34,579 Posts
One of my biggest regrets was donating a showroom condition AMC Eagle wagon with 50k original miles on it to my "best friend" circa 2001. She was facing relationship trouble (husband in jail), had a tough time keeping a roof over her head, pregnant teenage daughter...I could go on. A couple of months later I found it sitting in the local junkyard. No damage to it whatsoever, she simply said "the engine was pinging". Needless to say I haven't spoken to her since.

Reactions: UncleJB

·
Registered
Current - 17 Passat SEL Past - 02 337, 04 r32, 11 CC, 11 GTI, 16 Passat S
266 Posts
Trading in my beautiful blue r32 back in 2010 for a CC. Nothing wrong with my CC but I wish I kept my r32 for life. I really miss that car. The good old days. I bought my r32 with 30k miles for 20k. So freakin worth it. Funny thing is back then I loved the car but I had no problem trading it in once I got to 95k miles.

·
Registered
4,667 Posts
Selling this:
in the valley by hushypushy, on Flickr

It was my gift to myself when I turned 30. Told myself that if I ever needed money, I'd sell it. Well three years later, I wanted to change my career. I was burned out, miserable, and it was impacting my relationship. So I did the crazy thing, and I quit without another job lined up. I needed time to decompress from what was an 18 month long death march of misery. I don't like touching savings or investments, so the logical choice was that the car needed to go.

Sold car. Made money back. Then I got a job 10 days later. Relationship was toasted and while we did our best to fix it, I put a nail in it 6 months later.

Good news was that while I lost an E9, proceeds from that car funded a lot of great adventures for the next few years, and I finally got back what I was missing for years, which was my own personal happiness. I just wish knowing now that I would have gotten the job that I did right after I sold it, that I had just hung onto it and dipped into savings.

Oh well. Life has a way of going on.
My neighbor has a very similar looking one. Wash that your buyer by any chance?

·
Registered
SR71 C30 T53a/b/b A4
25,792 Posts
No regrets. I mostly sold all of my previous cars to the boneyard anyway.

·
Registered
1,048 Posts
this:

CIMG2186

sold a brand new GTI to Carmax at a loss so I could buy it. I sold it the first time due to being vandalized twice in the span of 2 weeks. Then a couple of years later I bought it back from the same owner and held on to it another couple of years. I then sold it since I had a long commute due to a new job. A couple of months later I went back to my previous job which was much closer and i could have kept my car. I feel like such an idiot sometimes.

I feel like I am on the verge on making another regret. My buddy wants to offload his E90 M3 which I told him I had dibs on ten years ago when he bought it. But I am unsure if I want to get rid of my 2008 gti to buy another old car lol. I feel like I should get a new car to minimize my efforts lol.

·
Planters (fasciitis) peanuts. Dang dogg
19,843 Posts
My neighbor has a very similar looking one. Wash that your buyer by any chance?
I don't know if your neighbor was the buyer as I don't know where you live, but it was in SoCal for about a year, then it came back to NorCal. Last I heard it was in Walnut Creek, but that was three years ago.

·
Registered
3,163 Posts
It was 2009, I was in my late 20s and had just started earning a decent salary. I had $30K-ish to spend, I wanted a used Porsche, and had narrowed it down to two choices:

The one I bought:

The one I almost bought:

I absolutely loved the Cayman and my time with it; they're trading in the 20s now (which is actually quite good).

The RS has tripled in value.

To answer your question, beer helps.

·
Planters (fasciitis) peanuts. Dang dogg
19,843 Posts
Since you don't need any consolation, I'll just add that I have some great seat time in an RS America, and I loved it. 10/10 would borrow again.

·
Registered
4,563 Posts
135i with 30k in DINAN upgrades, all dealer installed. Literally every part in their catalog. It had the LSD, and brembo gt355 brakes... I really regret not at least swapping the brakes to save those.

·
Registered
9,702 Posts
Nah. S3 spiders are pretty reliable. Motor itself is quite proven and Bosch L-Jet was bog standard for the era. Only problem is a lot of them have been neglected because they were dirt cheap for a long time.
Well we know that now but back in 1987, the Alfa would've have been the bad choice based on history.

·
Registered
2019 GLI Autobahn 6MT
824 Posts
such a downgrade(n) while B5 S4s in oem form werent that great handlers I always have loved how they look with the stock Avus wheels (y)
I agree, I was pretty heartbroken when he showed me what he did, although it sounds like he did quite a bit to fix the body and motor issues, so good for him there.

·
Registered
2018 Accord Sport 2.0T 6MT / 1994 Miata
1,829 Posts
Last year I had the opportunity to buy a really clean 2004 Mazdaspeed Miata with 45,000 miles for $8200. Enough said.

·
Registered
303 Posts
When my grandfather was alive, he worked at a shop in Atlanta that had quite a few interesting characters come through. One guy had a hobby of taking old 70's F100's, and finding totaled cars with 302's, and putting them in. He did it so much, he started selling the excess. Had one example that had some surface rust, but nothing that couldn't be sanded. Ran like a dream. Offered it to me for $800(!). I was 18 and broke, and couldn't swing it without missing rent. He even offered it a week later for $500, but again, living on a wire's edge. Every now and again, I wonder what would have happened if I sold my 91 Cherokee and bought it. Way I look at it, the decisions you make in life are circumstantial for the time, so don't spend too long wishing what if.

·
Registered
9,417 Posts
Last year I had the opportunity to buy a really clean 2004 Mazdaspeed Miata with 45,000 miles for $8200. Enough said.
Ha. I sold my clean stock MSM with 60k miles for $5,500 back in 2016. It did have a manufacturer buyback title, but whatever caused the buyback happened in 2005 and never reappeared after.

41 - 60 of 87 Posts