VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
edit: The car is a 92 Corrado VR6, should have mentioned this a while back.
I would like to do a thorough replacement of the vacuum lines around my engine compartment. What do I need to buy, what size, are there better alternative materials?
Anyone who has done this before, please let me know any lessons learned.
Thanks

[Modified by SLC_Demon, 9:40 AM 1-29-2003]

·
Forum Elder
14,571 Posts
Re: Need to replace vacuum lines..... Guidance request (vdubin90)

Damn dude, harsh...
Stick with the OEM stuff. I can get it pretty cheap from one of the local VW shops in the area. If you want to get trick, Samco sells vacuum hose as well. Although silicone doesn't stand up to abrasion as well.
~edit: Oh yeah, it's 4mm ID.

[Modified by SLC4EVER, 8:26 PM 1-27-2003]

·
Registered
11,621 Posts
Re: Need to replace vacuum lines..... Guidance request (SLC4EVER)

Here this should help ya. When I replaced mine I got it from volkswagen, pretty expensive though 12.97 per meter

Vacuum Hose Lengths
3.5 mm = 34" (brake booster line)+39.5" (1 meter ECU line) +13" (FPR) +55"(charcoal mainifold)+30" (air box to brake booster line) = 14.3 feet
9 mm = 40" (throttle body to charcoal) = 3 feet 4 inches (duh)
5 mm = 23" (brake booster to charcoal) +28" (fuel tank breather line to charcoal) = 4 feet 3 inches.

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: Need to replace vacuum lines..... Guidance request (mack73)

Thanks for all the information, I printed it and will keep it real handy.
I was actually considering some of the Samco stuff, maybe for a few of the lines. I just replaced all my coolant hoses with some blue Samcos recently. Blue was the only color in stock where I had my car, and I'm impatient. Were can I get the Samco vacuum lines, anyone know the $'s?
Thanks again for all the info, especially the search. Wouldnt have been able to find anymore vague information.

·
Registered
3,670 Posts
Re: Need to replace vacuum lines..... Guidance request (mack73)

quote:[HR][/HR]Here this should help ya. When I replaced mine I got it from volkswagen, pretty expensive though 12.97 per meter

Vacuum Hose Lengths
3.5 mm = 34" (brake booster line)+39.5" (1 meter ECU line) +13" (FPR) +55"(charcoal mainifold)+30" (air box to brake booster line) = 14.3 feet
5 mm = 23" (brake booster to charcoal) +28" (fuel tank breather line to charcoal) = 4 feet 3 inches.
[HR][/HR]​
Did you buy the cloth covered stuff or was it the stadard rubber tubing.. Also can you buy the stuff cut to length or just diy. I promiss just one more.. Did you use the oem clamps to terminate the ends or zip ties or what else. Thanks in advance ... This is a question that should probably go into the archives....
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
16,589 Posts
Re: Need to replace vacuum lines..... Guidance request (oldman)

quote:[HR][/HR]Here this should help ya. When I replaced mine I got it from volkswagen, pretty expensive though 12.97 per meter

Vacuum Hose Lengths

Did you buy the cloth covered stuff or was it the stadard rubber tubing.. Also can you buy the stuff cut to length or just diy. I promiss just one more.. Did you use the oem clamps to terminate the ends or zip ties or what else. Thanks in advance ... This is a question that should probably go into the archives....
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif [HR][/HR]​
looks framilar: http://forums.vwvortex.com/zerothread?id=385767
If you have a G60 you mighty want to read that link as those are my legnths and My FPR was not stock also I did not have an air box.
I DIY the vacume lengths and use the factory style line. at the ends I did something different. I bought a lot of heat shrink and put an inch on the neds and then heated it up while it was off the nipple. Then while it was hot I placed it on the nipple. Once it cooled this formed a VERY tight end that was often difficult to pull off. and I have never had a problem with boost leaks while doing this and I run more boost than most. some pics:

here is what I did more recently when I deleted a bunch of lines Sorry but I do not have the lengths for this setup
stole this from my reply this morning in the G60 forum)
When I deleted the Charcoal canister from my plumbing
1st removed the 3.5mm vacume line on the back of the TB that isn't for the ECU and used a rubber plug there with a wire tie on it.

2nd I removed the 5mm vacume line under the inlet to the TB and used a rubber plug with a wire tie on it.

3rd I removed the large 9mm vacume line that normally joins with the brake vacume assist line (hard black line) I replaced the rubber piece that T off to the intake manifold with a rubber 90 that I found at napa for $3-$4

4th the air box line was always plugged but I removed it a few years back and put a rubber cap on it where it connects at the Brake check valve. One of the nipples here broke off so I put a small self tapping screw here and then placed JB weld over the top of it.
This work helped get rid of this vacume line mess:

But I still have my charcoal canister to help get rid of the gas fume smells that some people mentioned they had after deleting it. Now I only have the Grey smaller line feeding the canister and then it is vented to the air filter that sist right above the outlet for the charcoal canister:

Now I only have these vacume lines:
1st to the ECU
2nd the the FPR
3rd to the brakes and then it Ts off to the Firewall to supply the MFA, heater controls, and Vacume reservoir and there are check valves to keep boost leaks away from the heater controls and reservoir
I've done this to Crez's car and we have had no problems with this setup. Now alls we have to do is get rid of all the stock plumbing on Crez's car and then he'll have no more boost leak excuses. Then his will be that his motor has 180K blah blah blah

Sorry I think this topic was originally for the VR6 but the G60 guys took off with it. But I think my heat shrink might be good for you VR6 guys

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Re: Need to replace vacuum lines..... Guidance request (G60ING)

That's an awesome pictoral of the work. Looks very clean. If only I could see that kinda writeup for VR6. Dont know if the lengths would be the same, some i'm sure a different. I've gathered that the main one that is very length specific is to the ECU.
Great work!!!!

·
Registered
16,589 Posts
Re: Need to replace vacuum lines..... Guidance request (SLC_Demon)

thanks but don't use any of the above vacume lengths for a VR6. What I originally did was buy a lot of lines in the size that I needed an installed them 1 by one but didn't measure them. then I went back through when I did some work and wrote everything down. Maybe you should use this method and do a write up http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
531 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re: Need to replace vacuum lines..... Guidance request (G60ING)

Yeah, that sounds like what i'm gonna do. I need to get the batteries charged on my digital camera so I can take some pictures of the lines and my dirty motor. I'm gonna see if I can get my hands on some Samco lines for some of them and factory for others.
I need to put an eyeball on them before I start, so i'll wait until I can sneak into my parents garage while they are not home. Its too cold out

1 - 12 of 12 Posts