VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey ...
Could anyone advise me of the best way to run a cable from the top of my dashboard (all the way down where the dash meets the windshield) down to my ash tray?
I just purchased the new clarion plug and play receiver (SIRPNP)
http://www.clarion.com/usa/pro...IRPNP
The receiver alone is small enough to fit in the ash tray area once the small tray is removed. The problem however is that you have to have the clarion docking station to go along with the receiver. The receiver has a proprietary 15 pin connector on the bottom of it and the connector for the antenna. Inside the dock is a large circuit board that that handles the conversion of the digital signal back to analog and also has the connectors for the audio out and the power in.
So, i've taken the dock apart and broken the connector out of the plastic shell. I've cut the interface cable in half and spliced a two, 4 foot pieces of cat 5 cable in between to extend the cable. I've tested my little extension and it works perfectly.
I am going to mount the circuit board in the glove box and find a way to go from the glove box to the back of the radio with the audio line. I'll run my power from the passenger side fuse box. All that is left is how to get from the top of the dash to the ash tray with the antenna cable AND how to get from the glove box to the ash tray area with my 15 pin cable.
Any ideas? I promise lots of pictures and explanation of the install so future pursuits of the perfect install may be accomplished.
THANKS!
Brad

·
Registered
397 Posts
Re: Need to run a wire from dash board to ash tray (inphosys)

Check the back of the glove box where the cooling/heating inlet comes in. You may be able to snake the wire out of the glove box there. From that point it is easy to pass it up to behind the radio.
Are you planning to place your antenna inside your car on the dash? I would drive around with it in that position to make certain you get good reception with the car facing all directions. I have mine on the roof and even then had to move it away from the roof rack to avoid interference.
Anyway.... try this link: http://www.orttauq.com/touareg.htm
It is instructions on how to install the Euro Dash Cover. You might be able to use it to remove the holder on the top of the dash to route the wires through there. (Seems like more work than a roof top antenna mount).
Good Luck.

Modified by styx at 4:55 AM 5-19-2004

·
Registered
97 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: Need to run a wire from dash board to ash tray (styx)

What path did you take to get the wire up to your roof? I'm not worried about an ubstructed view on the roof because the rails are coming off!
Thanks,
Brad

·
Registered
397 Posts
Re: Need to run a wire from dash board to ash tray (inphosys)

Start at the rear above the hatch. I positioned it about 3-4" forward of the rear hatch....behind the roof rack. I pulled off the roof molding across the top back of the roof liner (the pegs stayed in the roof but pulled out easily with pliers and slid back into the inside of the molding). I could then lift up the black rubber gasket (watch out for the black glue when you pass the wire through). Slide a short segment of wire up into the rubber gasket so it will seat properly and reinstall the moulding. You can then tuck the wire along the rubber all the way to the rear floor. I removed the silver metal molding across the bottom of the trunk (use a towel to pull up the inside edge - from inside where the spare is - it is sharp and you don't want to cut yourself). Lift the edge of the side plastic panel and slide the wire around onto the floor of the trunk. I ran the wire on the drivers side. There is one bolt holding the side moulding to the floor.... I loosened it and took up as much slack in the wire as possible - there is only enough to make it to the front of the car if you don't waste any. Then I tucked the wire along the side of the tunk along the edge where the side panel meets the floor all the way to the front of the car (under the floor/door sills) using a screwdriver to lift any moulding slightly that I needed to slide the wire under. Then up under the dash and into my unit. If you are connecting into the glove box use the passenger side.
I have a roady... not certain how long my antenna wire was but it just made it with 5-6" to spare (I am mounted on the dash next to the key). It actually did not take very long to do (10-15 minutes) and was fairly easy.

Modified by styx at 5:43 AM 5-19-2004

1 - 4 of 4 Posts