VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

· Registered
567 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I picked up an Arkay Turbo, exhaust manifold and downpipe. I have a stock 84 GTI and I'm considering hanging the Turbo on it. I've done some reading and found sources for hoses, oil lines, oil pan and used intercoolers. I've never turboed a car before and have some questions
1) will the stock CIS system work?
2) Do I need the "microfueler" and if so where do I get one or how do I make one?
3) Is moderate boost, say 6psi a safe level with the above setup?
Any help, website referrals, books to read is appreciated.

· Banned
9,194 Posts
Re: Need turbo information.....Arkay (Al)

Quote, originally posted by Al »
I picked up an Arkay Turbo, exhaust manifold and downpipe. I have a stock 84 GTI and I'm considering hanging the Turbo on it. I've done some reading and found sources for hoses, oil lines, oil pan and used intercoolers. I've never turboed a car before and have some questions
2) Do I need the "microfueler" and if so where do I get one or how do I make one?

I think the stock system is good up to about 5psi. If you want to stay with CIS you can run the Volvo 24o turbo cis for up to 9psi (or so) unmodded. It plugs right up in place of what you have..very easy. There is a set up FS in the the a1 classifieds right now. Im running it also. A microfueler like the one arkay sold and callaway had is hard to find nowadays. You could also switch to CIS-E, read here: http://home.comcast.net/~vwmik...e.htm
Or switch to digifant 1 from a corrado g60.

· Registered
301 Posts

CIS-E is the bee's knees. I love it now that I understand how to tune it. I am now committed to CIS-E for any power output I might desire.
That write-up is good. I have also wondered about buidling a little circuit with a boost pressure switch to bring in enrichment, but haven't looked into where I might find such a switch. Help would be helpful. What would be best for me would be essentially a MAP that worked as a variable resistor. Maybe thats how a MAP works anyway. I haven't looked into it, and, as far as I know, I am in uncharted territory.

· Registered
3,054 Posts
Re: Need turbo information.....Arkay (deathhare)

I'd say for bang for the buck, Swap to a Volvo240T FD and an Audi boost sensitive WUR. I have the FD FS right now. Click on my auctions in my sig. I;ve been running the setup for over a year on my car without issue. I also have a couple Intercoolers for sale... This CIS system can support 8-10 PSI...

· Registered
334 Posts
Re: Need turbo information.....Arkay (AdidasCU)

yes thiat system seems great for a low buget app. i would stick with 5psi system. also i would investe some money into some kind of lsd http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

· Registered
16,951 Posts

Quote, originally posted by Al »

ANSWER: stock CIS will work up to 7-9 PSI.
ANSWER: mircofueler would be hard to find nowadays, but there are pig-back systems that run extra injectors.
ANSWER: I personal am a fan for the 8-10 PSI range but yes that is a safe level.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.