VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys I'm pretty new here as I just picked up a mkv R a few months ago. I've fallen in love with the look of a wheel at a certain spec. And so that brings me here to ask of that spec wheel could fit on our cars. The spec is 18 x 9 et 42. My suspension is completely stock but I might pick up some B14's after the winter. Nonetheless, the car will stay at stock height (or as close to stock as possible with B14's) and will never be slammed/stanced. Could you guys also give a good tire size suggestion? I want to retain some wheel protection with the tires as I live in an area with horrible roads. Given this information, do you think I could make this spec wheel fit without a problem? and what tire size would you pair with it? Thanks for the help!!

·
Registered
2021 HiHy Platinum AWD
20,831 Posts
With the width wheel, you're probably going to need some spacers with your chosen offset.

Reactions: sijmi

·
Registered
89,446 Posts
With the width wheel, you're probably going to need some spacers with your chosen offset.
Negative. They will clear. Throw a spacer on there and his fenders/quarters will be toast.

OP: You are 100% going to need to do the front fender screw mod. 225/40s will be pushing it in terms of rubbing.

The ideal setup would be 18x8.5 ET45.

·
Registered
3,737 Posts
18x9 et 42 is not a bad setup. I don't think you will need spacers to clear the brake caliper. I ran a 3 mm spacer on my 18×9.5 etc 35 to allow the tires to turn in the well, I was also on 215/40 tires.

Tire size would be 225/40

·
Registered
2008 VW R32 - (Rotrex Supercharged)
2,572 Posts
Here is a handy calculator to help with understanding of what changes when you change the specs. Then add the knowledge of the community members as they will know about clearances with different setups like you have been asking. For me, the calculator is a good visualization aid.

And if you do spacers, depending on size, don’t forget to consider proper lug bolt length. And if you are changing wheels, lug bolt profile may also need to change accordingly - cone vs ball seat.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

1 - 10 of 10 Posts