VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys...i am about to install an elctronic boost gauge. I don't have a volt/amp meter and wondering if anyone could help.
i need the following wires to splice into:
-negative
-12 v power
-parking light source
-ignition
Please provide color and place these wires could be found on a MkIV GTI.
Thanks

·
Registered
432 Posts
Re: Needing some help installing (BOY-RCR)

i wouldn't go pokin' around in the dash w/o a meter. Test lights and rumors about what color the wire is will get you in trouble--really expensive trouble. Meters are cheap compared to the damage not using one will cause.

·
Registered
204 Posts

You can get a cheap meter at radio shack, but they aren't very accurate - which is fine for most of your automotive needs.
Good luck!

·
Registered
402 Posts

If you pull out the panels under the steering column you can access some of these wires.
Ground - Brown at underdash ground point...you'll see a bunch of brown wires going to one point.
12v - will be in the ignition harness, it is red
Ignition - also in the ignition harness, it is black
Parking Lights - If you pull the head light switch out, you can use either gray with a red stripe or gray with a black stripe.
Do yourself a favor though and get a test light and/or volt meter to test these wires. It'll just assure you that what your tapping into is correct.
12V - will always stay positive or read 12v to 14v no matter what position the key is in.
IGN - will show positive read voltage only in the run and crank position.
Ground - will show ground or 0 volts always.
Parking lights - Positive or will read voltage when you turn the lights on.
Good Luck.
PS - If you can't find the ignition harness, I'd suggest taking it to get professionally installed.

·
Registered
1,440 Posts
Re: Needing some help installing (Romnkar)

Quote, originally posted by Romnkar »
PS - If you can't find the ignition harness, I'd suggest taking it to get professionally installed.
DITTO---and the wiring you posted is correct and verified
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

1 - 7 of 7 Posts