VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well I'm finally going to have my little project driving in a few weeks. Here is what will be done up to that point...
Ported manifold and a weber 32/36 w/ K&N and cold air intake.
Adapters on the hubs to run my 9Lbs. Racing Hart 15" wheels.
Cut coils up front with Koni Reds (No aftermarket springs so far)
Blocked leafs 3" in rear.
And hopefully a reworked exhaust since it's a single DP with 1" piping.
Remove fan and add an electric unit.

Wondering what all I can do with my 1200cc 3K engine? It's rebuilt and drove ok before but had a leaky fuel pump and a bad stock carb. The car weighs about 1600 lbs. stock and has 70 hp. It is RWD and I am just building a retro Toy for fun and some possible auto-xing. It also has 4 wheel drums and they need to be rebuilt. Besides what I have into it, what else can I do? I only want to put about $500 more into it (including a cheap drivers racing style seat, and a wood rim wheel) and then I may find some TRD flares and get it repainted (White now...staying white with a black hood) Here is a pic of a similar Toyota Sprinter...leave as much feedback as possible because there isn't much help for this model let alone the 3K OHV engine..

·
Registered
1,561 Posts
$500 eh? i suggest you swap in a full m3 drivetrain with dual turbos...
id check the junkyard for a carb or find a rebuild kit (probably $50). and maybe buy a new fuel pump because fuel is sort of important. as far as seats go check the mkiv for sale forum and find some 20th ae seats for sale.

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: (Chapel)

Oh well I meant I've already got the above items, and the $500 is to finish stuff like a seat, steering wheel, brake work, swaybar, stress bars...
Yea..I just touched base with a guy who loves to convert discs onto any car..so lookin at 4 wheel disc swap with a big master cylinder. In return I will be doing odd jobs for the guy...so I'll stop on a dime soon

I have a good hookup on engine work, so it looks like I may have a cam regrind with a very worked head. And the brake guy can build me a header as well..yay!
So do I get a thumbs up on this project
http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
172 Posts
Re: Needs some advice on my 70 Toyota Corolla project... (JusAnothaRabbitRacer)

That reminds me, when my dad had a '78 corolla coupe. For some reason I remember that thing being quick

·
Registered
2,397 Posts
Re: Needs some advice on my 70 Toyota Corolla project... (JusAnothaRabbitRacer)

that's a cool project http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Re: (Slonie)

Your ghetto budget premise is EXACTLY what I'm doing with my 510's!!! I just picked up a not-perfectly-straight-but-not-bad 1970 2 door this last weekend in trade for a non-functional 4wd nitro RC car.
After some quick prep work and a decent rattle can job it will be the parts hanger for the stuff on the beat orange 4door I'm driving occasionally right now. When I rescued the first car off the side of I5 it already had a lowered suspension, Grant GT wheel, HUGE aftermarket front bar, alum. eccentric bushings in the front control arms, and an L20B/5spd (spun bearing) wearing a header and weber 32/36. I'm picking up some sweet 2 piece 15 by 7's this weekend to make use of the Kuhmo 711's i got for Xmas.
So....budget so far is:
1970 4door orange beater 510 - $150

Strong used L20B w/ HEI -------- $200
(gawd i luv cheap parts!)
195/50r15 Kuhmo 711's -------- $203.18 (gawd I luv tirerack!)
used Corbeau GT9 -------------- $200 (a necessity!)
used Xmembers/ctrl arms to replace ones I broke - $45 (DOH!)
Misc. ------------------------------$50 (fasters, gaskets, etc..)
2 piece wheels on saturday -----$150

it's coming along!!
I'll post pics when I get off my ass...

*EDIT* heres the one off I5....

Lets be the BUNGCHOW OLDSKOOL DRRIFTO KRU W00T!
hahahaha

Modified by rcr_x at 12:22 AM 2-13-2004

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Re: (PineappleMonkey)

I love this old skool Japanese car stuff....just the seating position alone makes me want to drive my Sprinter more than my Rabbit...and the Rabbit is already built to "my" dream specs
This weekend I should have the mani finished to where I can start making it run again, and posibly the suspension on it. Then I'll need to wait about 2 weeks for my wheel adapters..then it'll be on the road and ready for my full brake upgrade and misc. $$$ add-ons. I really should be putting the money towards my 944 clutch...but it's not going anywhere

·
Registered
265 Posts
would it be possible to swap a newer Honda EFI motor in? Maybe a SOHC motor that someone swapped out of their civic for a DOHC?

·
Registered
1,706 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Re: (Chapel)

Go ahead and post it. I did have an awesome plan though...
Mitsu 4g63, megasquirt, Mightymax tranny, beefed up rear end.
Would put about 300 reliable HP out I'd assume and cost under $2000 to build. But I'm sorta poor and afraid to die

·
Registered
19,201 Posts
Re: (rcr_x)

Quote, originally posted by rcr_x »
Y..............
After some quick prep work and a decent rattle can job .............

Interesting. How does a rattle can paint job look ?? How do you get it even ?

·
Registered
1,257 Posts
Re: (Merc-MarkO)

Quote, originally posted by Merc-MarkO »

Interesting. How does a rattle can paint job look ?? How do you get it even ?

lots of practice and a steady hand. You can get some REALLY high quality spray paint these days. Duplicolor in a can anyone?? http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

1 - 20 of 20 Posts