VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
37 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Trying to install my stereo and having trouble finding the negative wire for it what colour would it be or would could it be first time doing this

·
Registered
1988 Scirocco 16v (Wilda); '02 Passat 1.8T wagon (The Brick); '09 Jetta Sportwagon (wifemobile);
4,473 Posts
Brown = earth = ground. ;)

Past that.... year, model?

·
Registered
2 Posts
Positive wire is red and and the black colored wire is negative (ground).

In every speaker wire there is an indicator telling you which one is positive or negative. Indicator can be color. However it doesn't matter as long as the same wire is connected to the same colored terminal at each end.

The insulation is transparent in some high end speakers, even that you can see the bare wires. In such case, simply consider the copper wire as positive polarity (will go in red terminal) and silver wire as negative (will go in lack terminal).

In some cases indication can me marked with line, stripe or text. Here the marked wire will be positive and unmarked will be negative.

And font get confused about wire too much. The wire is not positive or negative but either input or output are. which ever side you use (i.e. painted stripe side) should match black to black, red to red. copper with red and silver with black. Marked with red and unmarked with black.

Doesn't matter which one you use as positive as long as you use the same one on each end.

Points You Must Know About Wire And Its Color.

• Yellow the 12V battery wire is and the accessory wire is red. Orange wire (with white strip) is for variable voltage for dimming and illumination
  • The right-front speakers and left-front speakers wires are gray and white respectively. Similarly, Right-rear speaker and left-rear speaker are purple and green.
  • Ground wires are black, blue wires are for antenna and blue (with a white stripe) are for amplifier.

·
Registered
1988 Scirocco 16v (Wilda); '02 Passat 1.8T wagon (The Brick); '09 Jetta Sportwagon (wifemobile);
4,473 Posts
How about a picture or two, so we can see what you're looking at?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts