VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
  • Mwerks and Fourtitude have rejoined VWVortex. For more info, see this thread.

21 - 40 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
29,422 Posts
I still have a YYZ luggage tag with my Moving Pictures CD. :(

·
Registered
2,758 Posts
Rush was a huge part of my (musical) life for 15-20 years and are still my favorite band. It makes me feel old knowing one of my idols has passed. :(

·
Premium Member
555 Posts
Sucks to lose a Canadian treasure like him. :(

·
Registered
1,237 Posts
I fired up Beyond The Lighted Stage last night.

The new guy!

He and Rush were my coming of age music as a drummer. This is so sad to hear.

·
Feels Like the First Time
6,870 Posts
:(:(:(

Perhaps the best drummer we have ever seen
Not perhaps. Was. Without question.

I regret never having the opportunity to see Rush. In Neil's honor, Ms Joker and I listened to a couple albums last night. Her favorite band, and one of the first concerts she ever saw. Moving Pictures, 2112, and A Farewell to Kings with a decent amount of bourbon was in order.

When I was a young, MkIV driving, car stereo selling punk, my alarm code for the store I managed was 2112.

:(

·
Registered
8,182 Posts
GOAT! No question.

Dude made a drum set a legitimate lead instrument. Watched this again yesterday and had a good cry. Not just for neil but thinking about loved ones lost. His work on the ride cymbal in this song is just killer.

It was always a total mind melt when I was a kid and Modern Drummer magazine would have their photo essays of the new kits Neil would get for every new tour. There was literally no one cooler in my mind. And I'm not even a Rush super fan. I love them but they're not one of my obsessions.

·
Premium Member
6,149 Posts
All good things must come to an end unfortunately. My dad is a musician, even though I was born in 1990 I've always been aware of the greats like Peart because my dad would tell me all about these great musicians. Yesterday was my Dad's birthday and today we're taking the boat to lunch, looks like some Rush is in order for the playlist.

·
Registered
34,387 Posts
he will be missed... one of my idols and on my bucket list of bands to see it they were ever to tour again!
I'm glad I got to see them on their R40 tour.

·
Registered
44,361 Posts
Sadly Peart retired from drumming entirely a few years ago. He was a perfectionist and his shoulders and elbows didn’t allow him to play at his previous standard, so he quit entirely.

The only rock drummers I can think of that were even close to him are possibly Terry Bozzio or Bun E. Carlos. Jazz? I suppose Buddy Rich and Lenny White. Maybe Max Roach too, though I’m not overly familiar with him. Anyone else?

Peart was the creme de la creme. Rest in peace, Mr. Peart. :(

·
Registered
8,450 Posts
Oh well, crap.
He was very talented.

Rush was (and it is) one of my favorite bands.
X2 :thumbup:

Sorry to hear he passed. :(

I play Tom Sawyer & Limelight nearly everyday in whatever car I'm driving...but playing it in the Corrado makes me feel like I've gone back in time.

·
Registered
7,209 Posts
I still have a YYZ luggage tag with my Moving Pictures CD. :(
My Passat’s plate is 893 YYZ, total coincidence but I’m never getting rid of it! I knew the band was done but knowing that he’s truly gone is a hard thing to wrap my head around. We should all hope to be as passionate and kind.

·
Registered
1,242 Posts
My high schools drumline worshiped RUSH and I never got it until like 10 years ago when I watched the documentary and I was like wow every person in the band was excellent at what they do.
I never liked Rush, but Neil, Alex and Geddy are three of the most talented musicians ever to walk the earth.

·
Registered
38,732 Posts
Never got into Rush.

I learned to play some of their stuff when I was a kid because it was popular/some of the songs were decent/riffs were easy, but I never got into them. I recognize that Neil was amazing, but the band was always blah to me.

Shame they couldn't find a singer.

RIP Mr Peart.

·
Registered
SR71 C30 T53a/b/b A4
25,299 Posts
Never got into Rush.
If you have a chance, listen to the guitar on the very first Rush album. There is some serious Iommi influence there.

After Moving Pictures, I think they were meh...

·
Registered
4,895 Posts
The only rock drummers I can think of that were even close to him are possibly Terry Bozzio or Bun E. Carlos. Jazz? I suppose Buddy Rich and Lenny White. Maybe Max Roach too, though I’m not overly familiar with him. Anyone else?
Lifelong drummer here and yeah, there are a ton of them. Neil was the biggest musical influence in my life, and he invented a style of rock / prog drumming that millions have imitated. But there is a huge list of drummers that are on or beyond his level. There is no GOAT, there are simply a group of guys operating at a very high level that Neil was obviously a part of. I love Rush (up to Moving Pictures), and have probably played more of their music than anyone else's. Friday was the first time I have ever cried over a "celebrity" death. If you want to hear other great drummers, start with:

Gavin Harrison
Marco Minneman
Matt Garstka
Larnell Lewis
Thomas Pridgen
Steve Smith
Terry Bozzio
Mike Portnoy
Lang Zhao
Todd Sucherman

And the Legendary:
Jeff Porcaro
Bernard Purdie

·
Registered
4,895 Posts
After Moving Pictures, I think they were meh...
The peaked at Moving Pictures. All the other albums have a good song here and there, but after Geddy got into synths and Neil started playing straight 4's, they were over.

21 - 40 of 89 Posts