VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
  • Mwerks and Fourtitude have rejoined VWVortex. For more info, see this thread.

41 - 60 of 89 Posts
13,842 Posts
Never got into Rush.
Rush is one of those bands you either "get" or think is totally forgettable. As a zit faced teenager I ended up with a bunch of their albums to take on a long family road trip through Quebec. Thought o well I'll just have something to pass the time. But when actually listening in that context, I was just floored. Can't really explain it, but I've been a fan ever since.

The peaked at Moving Pictures. All the other albums have a good song here and there, but after Geddy got into synths and Neil started playing straight 4's, they were over.
I think Power Windows is one of their best albums. Always been a fan of electronic music, so I'm sure that has an influence. I like PW and Grace Under Pressure better than 2112 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

·
Premium Member
12,574 Posts
Sadly Peart retired from drumming entirely a few years ago. He was a perfectionist and his shoulders and elbows didn’t allow him to play at his previous standard, so he quit entirely.

The only rock drummers I can think of that were even close to him are possibly Terry Bozzio or Bun E. Carlos. Jazz? I suppose Buddy Rich and Lenny White. Maybe Max Roach too, though I’m not overly familiar with him. Anyone else?

Peart was the creme de la creme. Rest in peace, Mr. Peart. :(
Not sure if you would qualify it as rock in the traditional sense, but Stuart Copeland is a genius drummer, in the same vein as Peart, but on a different side of the rock spectrum.

Nevertheless, Neil Peart remains my favorite rock musician. Aside from his unparalleled playing, he was also a fantastic lyricist, with tremendous depth in the subject manners he wrote about. The guy was someone who obviously thought about things on a deep level and was able to convey his thoughts in ways that resonated just as equally with me in my teens and now in my 40s.

·
Registered
RS3, JKU
18,404 Posts
Not sure if you would qualify it as rock in the traditional sense, but Stuart Copeland is a genius drummer, in the same vein as Peart, but on a different side of the rock spectrum.

Nevertheless, Neil Peart remains my favorite rock musician. Aside from his unparalleled playing, he was also a fantastic lyricist, with tremendous depth in the subject manners he wrote about. The guy was someone who obviously thought about things on a deep level and was able to convey his thoughts in ways that resonated just as equally with me in my teens and now in my 40s.
I always thought these were great:

There is unrest in the forest
There is trouble with the trees
For the maples want more sunlight
And the oaks ignore their pleas

The trouble with the maples
And they're quite convinced they're right
They say the oaks are just too lofty
And they grab up all the light

But the oaks can't help their feelings
If they like the way they're made
And they wonder why the maples
Can't be happy in their shade?

There is trouble in the forest
And the creatures all have fled
As the maples scream 'oppression!'
And the oaks, just shake their heads

So the maples formed a union
And demanded equal rights
'The oaks are just too greedy
We will make them give us light'

Now there's no more oak oppression
For they passed a noble law
And the trees are all kept equal
By hatchet, axe, and saw

·
Registered
9,126 Posts
Might be my favorite lyrics of theirs... any kid growing up in the suburbs can relate:

"Subdivisions"

Sprawling on the fringes of the city
In geometric order
An insulated border
In between the bright lights
And the far unlit unknown

Growing up it all seems so one-sided
Opinions all provided
The future pre-decided
Detached and subdivided
In the mass production zone

Nowhere is the dreamer
Or the misfit so alone

Subdivisions —
In the high school halls
In the shopping malls
Conform or be cast out
Subdivisions —
In the basement bars
In the backs of cars
Be cool or be cast out
Any escape might help to smooth
The unattractive truth
But the suburbs have no charms to soothe
The restless dreams of youth

Drawn like moths we drift into the city
The timeless old attraction
Cruising for the action
Lit up like a firefly
Just to feel the living night

Some will sell their dreams for small desires
Or lose the race to rats
Get caught in ticking traps
And start to dream of somewhere
To relax their restless flight

Somewhere out of a memory
Of lighted streets on quiet nights…

·
Registered
11,282 Posts
Might be my favorite lyrics of theirs... any kid growing up in the suburbs can relate:
I grew up in a subdivision in the MD burbs of DC. I was 16 when that album came out. I've seen Rush 15+ times. I can relate. :beer:

And as a 54 yr old guy who watched his FIL die of the exact same brutal cancer 3 yrs ago... I feel even more bummed knowing Peart retired from Rush/drumming due to the arthritis, etc in his joints, and have now learned he got the cancer just a year after that. Such a shame - never being able to enjoy a full retirement after accomplishing so much, and considering the tragedy that was his daughter and first wife. While his drumming was masterclass, his lyricism is also to be admired for a guy who just wanted to read constantly due to his hatred and the monotony of touring. Him having grown up on Moon and Bonham also got him into a mindset that partying on the road 24/7 doesn't lead to a long life, so pick other ways to pass the time. Then came the cycling and motorcycling after the 1997 family tragedies.

RIP!

And then, on another personal note my best friend, drummer since age 12 and a massive Rush fan died at age 55 just 6 weeks prior to Peart in NoVa of a massive heart attack. It has not been a good couple of months.

As for the albums, if a newbie wants a taste you go 2112, then Perm Waves, then Moving Pictures. That's the trifecta to get started.

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #49
The peaked at Moving Pictures. All the other albums have a good song here and there, but after Geddy got into synths and Neil started playing straight 4's, they were over.
I really wasn't into they synth phase of the next few albums after Signals. Although, I do like Presto. Roll The Bones was actually the first Rush album I bought, though in retrospect it isn't great (Dreamline is really well done, but the title track is a bit cringey, to me) Counterparts was ok. I think after being around so long, their style had to change, and one can't expect to like everything they put out.

That said, Clockwork Angels was really good, IMO, and a return to the concept album.

·
Registered
2,081 Posts
Discussion Starter #50
Sadly Peart retired from drumming entirely a few years ago. He was a perfectionist and his shoulders and elbows didn’t allow him to play at his previous standard, so he quit entirely.

The only rock drummers I can think of that were even close to him are possibly Terry Bozzio or Bun E. Carlos. Jazz? I suppose Buddy Rich and Lenny White. Maybe Max Roach too, though I’m not overly familiar with him. Anyone else?

Peart was the creme de la creme. Rest in peace, Mr. Peart. :(
I don't think one can compare jazz giants like Buddy Rich, Gene Krupa, Max Roach etc to the rock giants like Peart, Bonham, Moon etc. They're just way too different. I do think Neil Peart's influence on rock drummers was similar to that as Buddy Rich's influence on jazz and especially big band drummers.

And, as a drummer myself, I have to say (with all respect and admiration to Peart), Neil Peart never was a great jazz drummer. I think it was after the "Burning for Buddy" sessions he realized he still had areas where he could improve and started studying with Freddy Gruber. That is admirable in itself.

·
Registered
4,895 Posts
Absolutely. Porcaro / Peart / Copeland were my big 3. Only one left now.

·
Registered
2,758 Posts

"Subdivisions"
I'm going to date myself here, but I remember we had an assembly in high school when I was maybe 15 -- something about teen suicide or depression something -- and the assembly started with this song. I can still picture being in the school gym listening to this. :beer:

·
Registered
29,433 Posts
KCRW's Morning Becomes Eclectic (89.9 FM Santa Monica College Public Radio Station) went 100% off-brand when they played "Tom Sawyer" this morning.

I would wager they have never played a Rush song - ever.

·
Registered
44,361 Posts
KCRW's Morning Becomes Eclectic (89.9 FM Santa Monica College Public Radio Station) went 100% off-brand when they played "Tom Sawyer" this morning.

I would wager they have never played a Rush song - ever.
Kudos to them for doing so, boo on them for having not done so previously. Three man bands are difficult to flesh out and nobody did it better than they. :beer:

·
Registered
38,736 Posts
Rush is one of those bands you either "get" or think is totally forgettable.
I appreciated it, I just didn't like their songs.

That happens a lot with fantastic technical players, I love the playing, but can't listen to it more than a few times. Wow, neat, incredible, how many takes did it take them to get that down? I'm listening more to parts than I am the whole composition. Think of it as that Lamborghini Espada hot rod or a Donk. I can love the craftsmanship, and individual pieces, but as a whole, I'm over it.

Also see: Nitro, trippy jam bands, or Ynything Malmsteen ever did.

·
Registered
9,126 Posts
I appreciated it, I just didn't like their songs.

That happens a lot with fantastic technical players, I love the playing, but can't listen to it more than a few times. Wow, neat, incredible, how many takes did it take them to get that down? I'm listening more to parts than I am the whole composition. Think of it as that Lamborghini Espada hot rod or a Donk. I can love the craftsmanship, and individual pieces, but as a whole, I'm over it.
I can absolutely see your point on that. That's how I feel about Dream Theater. As a drummer I can certainly appreciate Mike Portnoy's talent but I can't listen to any of their stuff for longer than 10 minutes. Saw them in concert and I was bored 3 songs in. To me it was a big wankfest.

But I love Rush because I think they were a bit different. Sure, they could go off on crazy 15-minute instrumentals but then they could put together a great rock song like "Freewill". There was enough there to satisfy the music nerds and the people who didn't know the difference between a guitar and a bass and just liked rock music.

41 - 60 of 89 Posts