VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
  • Mwerks and Fourtitude have rejoined VWVortex. For more info, see this thread.

61 - 80 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
44,361 Posts
I can absolutely see your point on that. That's how I feel about Dream Theater. As a drummer I can certainly appreciate Mike Portnoy's talent but I can't listen to any of their stuff for longer than 10 minutes. Saw them in concert and I was bored 3 songs in. To me it was a big wankfest.

But I love Rush because I think they were a bit different. Sure, they could go off on crazy 15-minute instrumentals but then they could put together a great rock song like "Freewill". There was enough there to satisfy the music nerds and the people who didn't know the difference between a guitar and a bass and just liked rock music.
That's where I am with them and I agree about Dream Theater as a comparison. I have musician friends who really get them/love them, but I can't. I just can't. I'm the same way with Thelonious Monk. I've always said that I'm not good enough at math to really "get" Monk. :) His music is incredibly complicated and intricate, but I can't listen to him for any length of time.

Rush? I get it. Even things like YYZ are very "listenable" to me.

·
Premium Member
12,574 Posts
That's where I am with them and I agree about Dream Theater as a comparison. I have musician friends who really get them/love them, but I can't. I just can't. I'm the same way with Thelonious Monk. I've always said that I'm not good enough at math to really "get" Monk. :) His music is incredibly complicated and intricate, but I can't listen to him for any length of time.

Rush? I get it. Even things like YYZ are very "listenable" to me.
x3 on Dream Theatre. But I respect the hell out of them and acknowledge their skill.

·
Registered
38,736 Posts
I can absolutely see your point on that. That's how I feel about Dream Theater. As a drummer I can certainly appreciate Mike Portnoy's talent but I can't listen to any of their stuff for longer than 10 minutes. Saw them in concert and I was bored 3 songs in. To me it was a big wankfest.

But I love Rush because I think they were a bit different. Sure, they could go off on crazy 15-minute instrumentals but then they could put together a great rock song like "Freewill". There was enough there to satisfy the music nerds and the people who didn't know the difference between a guitar and a bass and just liked rock music.
I take that back. I just listed to them for aboot a half an hour, and I do like all four of their songs.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I always need a few Rush songs in my playlist for a road trip. Air drumming on my steering wheel to their music always seems to wake me up if I'm starting to feel sleepy. I saw Rush live once, and everyone from my group, including me, were blown away by Neil's performance. Such a tragic life he has had, with the deaths of his wife and daughter, and then getting cancer himself :( RIP, Neil.

·
Registered
357 Posts
Had Roll the Bones, Counterparts, and Test for Echo in middle school/high school that really got me into the band.

My brother had older albums and found myself listening to them a lot.
Rush Chronicles was in my car for about 2 years.
I still judge concerts on what i saw at the Test for Echo tour and have never seen a drum solo like Peart's. It was 2 drum sets on a turntable that would spin around. And as it kept going the thing would keep spinning and he just kept playing.

My brother was a drummer as well and taught me the basics. But one thing i always pick up on is what the drums are doing in the song. Many times i get bored of a song when the fill is a few beats on a snare drum at the same count.

But even the synthesized 80's progressive stuff that i don't care for, the drums are a show of their own.

Love the band. Really wish i could have seen them again.

·
Feels Like the First Time
6,870 Posts
I posted elsewhere in a now locked thread but when Red Barchetta comes on the radio in your car (or Spotify/Pandora/Sirius/Whatever), to please the automotive gods, you must drive at the very limit of your skill, the vehicle, and the conditions. They shall smile upon you, all the way to jail.

·
Registered
7,209 Posts
I posted elsewhere in a now locked thread but when Red Barchetta comes on the radio in your car (or Spotify/Pandora/Sirius/Whatever), to please the automotive gods, you must drive at the very limit of your skill, the vehicle, and the conditions. They shall smile upon you, all the way to jail.
Agree, though I prefer the fireside at my uncle’s house to jail.

·
Registered
44,361 Posts
Lifelong drummer here and yeah, there are a ton of them. Neil was the biggest musical influence in my life, and he invented a style of rock / prog drumming that millions have imitated. But there is a huge list of drummers that are on or beyond his level. There is no GOAT, there are simply a group of guys operating at a very high level that Neil was obviously a part of. I love Rush (up to Moving Pictures), and have probably played more of their music than anyone else's. Friday was the first time I have ever cried over a "celebrity" death. If you want to hear other great drummers, start with:

Gavin Harrison
Marco Minneman
Matt Garstka
Larnell Lewis
Thomas Pridgen
Steve Smith
Terry Bozzio
Mike Portnoy
Lang Zhao
Todd Sucherman

And the Legendary:
Jeff Porcaro
Bernard Purdie
You're obviously better versed than I, but I don't think I'd call a list even twice that long "a ton". :beer:

I don't think one can compare jazz giants like Buddy Rich, Gene Krupa, Max Roach etc to the rock giants like Peart, Bonham, Moon etc. They're just way too different. I do think Neil Peart's influence on rock drummers was similar to that as Buddy Rich's influence on jazz and especially big band drummers.

And, as a drummer myself, I have to say (with all respect and admiration to Peart), Neil Peart never was a great jazz drummer. I think it was after the "Burning for Buddy" sessions he realized he still had areas where he could improve and started studying with Freddy Gruber. That is admirable in itself.
That's one of the things that impressed me the most. Well after their glory days there he was, taking lessons and even relearning to play in the classic style of holding the sticks. That must've been tough at 50+ years old.

I don't disagree that jazz drummers and rock drummers are apples/oranges. It'd be like comparing Flea to Stanley Clarke. :beer:

·
Registered
353 Posts
I can't watch that now, but I've opened it in a different tab to consume later.

Thanks for posting! :) :thumbup:
You're very welcome! Check out Stewart Copeland's youtube channel for a bunch of cool jams.

Here is another one with Neil Peart. Some other world class drummers in the room as well including Danny Carey and Thomas Lang who is actually seen playing a saxophone.

61 - 80 of 89 Posts