VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
  • Mwerks and Fourtitude have rejoined VWVortex. For more info, see this thread.

1 - 20 of 196 Posts

·
Registered
14,983 Posts
Only half way through episode 3, but I have been looking forward to this for a long time. It's supremely well done and incredibly enticing. I have no idea where the season will end, but right now every single thing about it is top notch.

This show, Mr Robot, and Halt and Catch Fire are my top shows of whatever season you would consider this.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
I've watched two episodes and I've really enjoyed it. I was born in the 80s so the nostalgia is already there. The first episode had me hooked. I mean, the first time we see the boys they're playing D&D. How can you say no to that? I love the horror element of it. I'm totally intrigued by 011. I also like the fact, that most of the characters are not really big name actors, aside from Winona Ryder and Matthew Modine. I like seeing fresh faces more and more these days. I dunno what else I can say about it, except that I really want to go home and continue watching it. :thumbup:

·
Registered
8,335 Posts
Thanks for posting guys, I had my eye on this as something to watch with my 13 yr old son.. now I am convinced:thumbup:

·
Registered
21,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Agreed, as a child of the 80's this hits me right in the nostalgia feels. More importantly almost everything is extremely well done. Geeky, well written, well-acted, and the set designs are pretty solid. I haven't enjoyed something this much in a long time. The best way I can put it is...a better "Super 8" type endeavor which is longer and more convincing/intriguing. Also, huge kudos to the kids in the cast...normally kids can't act for crap and really bring a film/series down - but these kids deliver. Just phenomenal stuff.

·
Registered
14,983 Posts
Any nudity in it? My wife asked if there was. It doesn't seem like there would be, but wanted to see if you guys encountered any,

·
Registered
6,742 Posts
I'm liking the series so far. Some hearty laughs from the dialog. Love the 80's horror movie posters throughout. Great choices with the young actors. They are doing a great job.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
So I finished the series last night. I was kind of conflicted on how it ended. I guess SPOILERS ahead. Not sure what the proper etiquette is on these types of things so I'll try to keep it vague. On the one hand I was glad to see a hint of a certain character still being alive. The story seemed to have been wrapped up but it was also left open ended. On that flip side of that, I was kind of thinking it would be better if it wasn't left open ended and the next season be a completely new story with new characters. Kind of in the way American Horror Story was done.

All in all I have to say I really enjoyed this show. I loved all the D&D references and 80s horror elements strewn about. I thought the kids acting was so good. Especially Millie Bobby Brown, who played Eleven. All the emotions conveyed on that little girl's face was amazing. She was really fantastic and her character was bad ass. I got a real "Jean Grey" vibe from her early on in the show and it was great when Dustin's character referred to the X-Men when he was talking about her. Anyway, great show. I rated it 5 stars on Netflix.

·
Registered
21,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
My take on the ending was...playing it safe? Ie. "not sure we'll get another season" kind of thing. Some minor cliff-hangers but if it ended here and now we'd all be pretty okay with it. Just the feeling I got.

·
Registered
17,327 Posts
I enjoyed it for the 80's nostalgia. It was a bit slow at times, but the acting especially by the kids was good. It reminded me a bit of Super 8, but I think I liked Super 8 more. As for a season 2, I would rather they do a whole new story and timeline. Kinda like they did with True Detective.

·
Premium Member
Vermonter ~ '20 Si Sedan – '94 Miata – '16 RAV4
35,836 Posts
My take on the ending was...playing it safe? Ie. "not sure we'll get another season" kind of thing. Some minor cliff-hangers but if it ended here and now we'd all be pretty okay with it. Just the feeling I got.
I felt the same way.

I enjoyed it for the 80's nostalgia. It was a bit slow at times, but the acting especially by the kids was good. It reminded me a bit of Super 8, but I think I liked Super 8 more. As for a season 2, I would rather they do a whole new story and timeline. Kinda like they did with True Detective.
This series blended so many great 80's elements. The wife and I don't watch "horror" movies but we really liked this.

·
Registered
2,639 Posts
I loved, loved, loved everything about this show. The 80's aesthetic, the music, the cinematography, the children actors, everything was top notch.

For people who want more of this style, watch It Follows. Great flick. :thumbup:

·
Registered
21,613 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I loved, loved, loved everything about this show. The 80's aesthetic, the music, the cinematography, the children actors, everything was top notch.

For people who want more of this style, watch It Follows. Great flick. :thumbup:
Shall do. :thumbup:

·
Banned
36,395 Posts
Just watched the first episode.

WOW!!!!! :eek::eek::eek:

Edit: I can't help but see a lot of "Freaks and Geeks" in the show, and would not be surprised if a homage was paid, i.e. Mike's family name is Wheeler (vs. Wier in F&G).

Music (except Peter Gabriel's cover of "Heroes") is very authentic too. :thumbup::thumbup:

This definitely takes my pick as "show of the year". :thumbup:

1 - 20 of 196 Posts