VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
  • Mwerks and Fourtitude have rejoined VWVortex. For more info, see this thread.

4041 - 4060 of 5758 Posts

·
Chili Bigot
A muscle car (mine), a bugout vic (hers), and a beater (the boy's)
20,033 Posts
I honestly wish I could have seen it in a movie theater. I appreciate Netflix getting it to me for free, but I can never really concentrate at home.

I used to go out to tons of independent movies that dealt with topics, that I would find extremely boring on the couch, but was engrossed in at a theater.

I had the dog snoring, my phone buzzing, and my mind wandering.

Even with a huge TV, empty house, dimmed lights, and surround sound I can never seem to focus on high concepts at home.
LOL, I am the opposite. Ever since I hit 45, sitting in a theater for more than 2 hours is a chore for me. I get uncomfortable sitting in one place for that long.

·
Registered
28,928 Posts
Ever since I hit 45, sitting in a theater
Yeah, the last time I showed up drunk in my boxer shorts they made a whole big deal about it. Netflix doesn't judge me.

·
Chili Bigot
20,033 Posts
Reading the responses here and at some of the genre sites I visit (Den of Geek, The Nerdist, etc), it looks like the consensus found the movie boring. I actually liked it, but I broke up the viewing over three nights, so I think that helped. I was also half in the bag for most of the long holiday, so I guess that helped too. :D

·
Registered
5,850 Posts
Just watched Calibre on Netflix. Wait, do I have to say 'on Netflix' in a thread called Netflix?

Anyway, highly recommended slow burn moral dilemma psych piece. Very well done.

·
Chili Bigot
20,033 Posts
Can we get a mod to simply take "Netflix" out of the title?

·
Premium Member
Vermonter ~ '20 Si Sedan – '94 Miata – '16 RAV4
35,858 Posts
I'm sure some of you remember "Iron Sky.' An absurd but very entertaining sci-fi(?) flick out of Europe...

Iron Sky
R 2012 ‧ Action/Comedy ‧ 1h 33m

An army of Nazis hidden in a moon base for 70 years prepares a gigantic warship for an invasion of Earth in 2018.

Many of us here really enjoyed it for its campy goodness.

Netflix recently released the sequel from the same creators, and I watched it last night. It's not nearly as good as the first, but it's a quick watch and I was reasonably entertained. I mean... Alien Hitler riding a Trex and the religion is based around Steve Jobs and Apple so there's a lot to enjoy there. :)

Iron Sky: The Coming Race
2019 ‧ Fantasy/Sci-fi ‧ 1h 30m

Following the devastating aftermath of nuclear war on Earth, a former Nazi moon base has become the last refuge for mankind. Limited supplies and overpopulation threaten the survivors until Obi, the leader's daughter, finds a map pointing to a power buried deep under Earth's wasted surface that could save mankind or destroy it once and for all. When an old enemy leads the heroes on an adventure into the Hollow Earth, they must fight an ancient shape-shifting reptilian race to save humanity.

·
Registered
45,972 Posts
Can we get a mod to simply take "Netflix" out of the title?
We should. Because we recently finished "Man In The High Castle - Final Season" on Amazon Prime. Also finished "Godfather Of Harlem" on Epix. Both were good although the final episode of MITHC seemed a bit rushed at the end.

·
Registered
10,892 Posts
Do we really live in a world where watching a three hour movie in a chore? We need everything that fast?

I started it after the football game last night. I was constantly having to pause it to text and piss, get more beer.

I went to sleep around 2:30 AM. Thanks DeNiro!
:popcorn:

·
Registered
10,892 Posts
I honestly wish I could have seen it in a movie theater. I appreciate Netflix getting it to me for free, but I can never really concentrate at home.

I used to go out to tons of independent movies that dealt with topics, that I would find extremely boring on the couch, but was engrossed in at a theater.

I had the dog snoring, my phone buzzing, and my mind wandering.

Even with a huge TV, empty house, dimmed lights, and surround sound I can never seem to focus on high concepts at home.
Same here. In a theater I absolutely leave my phone in my pocket. But also, you kant pause it so you have to focus ...

Even so, I would go nuts sitting in a theater for more than 1.5 hours. I always move around during previews so that I'm not sitting still for more than the movie itself.

·
Registered
4,302 Posts
Tried to watch For All Mankind (Apple TV+). Had high hopes for it. Ron Moore, alt-history premise -- what if the Russians landed on the moon first, etc.

Didn't make it thru the first episode.

Think I'll give The Watchmen (HBO) a try. Seems to be getting a lot of buzz.

Enjoying the last season of Man in the High Castle. Saw the mixed reviews, but I'm thru Ep 5 now and I've really liked it so far.

·
Chili Bigot
20,033 Posts
F’ Sean Penn. I refuse to watch anything he’s in.

·
Premium Member
Vermonter ~ '20 Si Sedan – '94 Miata – '16 RAV4
35,858 Posts
Tried to watch For All Mankind (Apple TV+). Had high hopes for it. Ron Moore, alt-history premise -- what if the Russians landed on the moon first, etc.

Didn't make it thru the first episode.

Think I'll give The Watchmen (HBO) a try. Seems to be getting a lot of buzz.

Enjoying the last season of Man in the High Castle. Saw the mixed reviews, but I'm thru Ep 5 now and I've really liked it so far.
My old friend Nate is in For All Mankind (Apple TV+), so I'll give it a chance at some point but I'm not paying for yet another streaming service right now.

The Watchmen (HBO) is amazing, you won't be disappointed.

Glad you are enjoying the last season of Man in the High Castle (Prime). I thought it was really strong.

·
Registered
6,837 Posts

https://jalopnik.com/framing-john-delorean-is-the-story-of-a-man-whose-life-1835253780

I watched this move the other night. (free on Hulu). Was a really interesting deep dive into how he ended up in a room with a airplane load of cocaine.

The only issue is the weird 4th wall breaking reenactments by famous people that eat up like a half hour of the movie.

It seems like John Delorean was interesting enough to span an entire documentary. It is almost distracting that they enlisted so many a list people in it for no reason.

Still worth watching for sure. It is a crazy story, and I had no idea about his tenure at GM, and what a huge influence he played on muscle car culture.

·
Registered
17,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #4,057
just finished a rewatch of Season 3 of The Expanse, pumped for Season 4. :beer:

·
Chili Bigot
20,033 Posts
just finished a rewatch of Season 3 of The Expanse, pumped for Season 4. :beer:
I think we’ve gone through all 3 seasons like 4 times now. :banghead::laugh:

I even named my dog Tachi.

·
Registered
17,895 Posts
Discussion Starter #4,059
I think we’ve gone through all 3 seasons like 4 times now. :banghead::laugh:

I even named my dog Tachi.
i know i've posted multiple times in this now very long thread about it, but it's the best sci-fi going right now by a huge margin. intense, dark, political, realistic...don't take my word for it though.

·
Registered
4,302 Posts
My old friend Nate is in For All Mankind (Apple TV+), so I'll give it a chance at some point but I'm not paying for yet another streaming service right now.

The Watchmen (HBO) is amazing, you won't be disappointed.

Glad you are enjoying the last season of Man in the High Castle (Prime). I thought it was really strong.
Yes, thought the very last scene was a bit of a cop-out but that's kind of a nitpick. The rest of it was great. And they should just give Rufus Sewell all the awards.

4041 - 4060 of 5758 Posts