VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
282 Posts
Re: neuspeed chip for V8 (hotdaymnitzbao)

If the only increase is 5 RWHP, then that mod is absolutely worthless IMO.
I guess this proves the point further that most ECUs are close to fully optimized at the factory, and the only way to really increase RWHP is to increase air intake or bore/stroke.

Roy

·
Registered
1,858 Posts
Re: neuspeed chip for V8 (royeus)

Quote, originally posted by royeus »
If the only increase is 5 RWHP, then that mod is absolutely worthless IMO.
I guess this proves the point further that most ECUs are close to fully optimized at the factory, and the only way to really increase RWHP is to increase air intake or bore/stroke.

Roy

I agree with your first point, but I think your second might depend, right? I have heard that the chipping benefit for normally aspirated engines is usually quite marginal unless done in concert with other changes, but it might be different for vehicles equipped with turbos and superchargers.
I had a look at some products coming out for the V10 TDI...I found torque figures ranging at 630#-ft(+/-) and HP figures ranging at 340HP. Price ranges between $600 and $1500. See, e.g.,
http://www.superchips.co.uk/cu...i.pdf
(I really enjoy reading the TDI forum at http://www.tdiclub.com)

·
Registered
282 Posts
Re: neuspeed chip for V8 (leebo)

Agreed and you wouldn't want to change air intake/flow with a turbo or supercharger without also changing ECU programming to allow for the increase in air....or else risk the kiss of death....running lean.
Point is....you couldn't just add a turbo or supercharger, or even modify the MAF sensor, by itself without risking a decrease in engine performance over stock. Adding a chip to stock, however, can only result in very modest gains over stock since air and fuel flow remain largely unchanged....not to mention causing warranty failure (especially since the Neuspeed chip is soldered into the ECU, and not quickly removable).
Roy.

Modified by royeus at 12:00 PM 5-21-2004

·
Registered
1,858 Posts

Quote, originally posted by royeus »
...Adding a chip to stock, however, can only result in very modest gains over stock since air and fuel flow remain largely unchanged....not to mention causing warranty failure (especially since the Neuspeed chip is soldered into the ECU, and not quickly removable)...

Can I trouble you for more clarification? I'm very interested in "chipping" the V10 and I'm obviously not well-versed. I don't want to get into it for a bunch of money, nor do I want to just throw money away.
In the case of the V10 TDI, the chipping gains claimed by the various manufacturers were in the neighborhood of +45 HP & +80#-ft. Let's say it's a conservative gain of 10% for a cost of about $1000. I saw a number of different devices including some that appeared to be "in-line" electrical devices that would be easily added and removed.
Would those kinds of numbers be considered very modest gains?
What about the price-performance?

·
Registered
147 Posts

I agree with the 5 hp part, but increase in rev limiter would be awesome. then maybe you could actually red line beyond the 6800 or so that has been the highest I get get her to go.
Does anyone know specifics on what they think this chip will do in that regard? And one more question that might be stupid, but I have to ask - can vag com do anything here?

·
Registered
3,476 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
i agree with all of you guys.
5 hp increase on our fata$$ car willl be sssooo insignificant and none of us will be able to feel it.
but IMO, paying $200 to raise the rev limiter and get rid of the top speed governor is a good investment.... those with the V8 can definitely go beyond 134mph (not that i'm encouraging you guys to do it)
but yeah. i've been talking to other tuning companies and i'm waiting for their replies.
hopefully i'll come across something better.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts