VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

· Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: (turbodom09)

Also, is there any way to tell how much HP you will actually gain before purchasing it? Neuspeed says appox 11 HP, could it end up being less? and if its more does anyone know how much more? lol, sorry for all the questions, but i get paid today and I want to purchase an ecu...

· Registered
1,983 Posts
thats a matter of personal preference, my friend. in my case i got everything installed at once.....the chip, schrick 268s, nuespeed throttle body, and genie ss header.....so i couldnt say how it would act with only a chip.....personally, were it me.....id get it just because itd satisfy my curiousity, and its only 100 bux.....

· Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·

Ok kool, Im going to get it then, and then possibley get on of those $35 air intakes from ebay as well, so id be getting around 15 hp (high estimate) for about $150... I like that idea, thanks again for your help...

· Registered
1,983 Posts
not a problem. just as a final thought, though......dont get a short ram. i had one for a long time, and everyone kept telling me to use my stock airbox, swiss cheesed, and a k&n.....so i decided to try it.........bottom line........it works far better than the short ram.....dont know about the CAI. never got one of those........

· Registered
1,983 Posts
the short ram is jst that.......basically a short piece of pipe that fits a cone filter on the end.....or just the filter in some cases......its still inside the engine bay.....the CAI goes out of the bay into the outside air in the fenderwell area....so it pulls cooler air....you have to relocate the vacuum canister for that.........either way.......i like the k&n with the swiss cheesed airbox, much as id have loved to be contrary and tell people it wasnt any good.......it was. lol. no real hp gain there.....more like maybe a little snappier throttle response, and the car acted much better when hot.......not like with the short ram.....where once the bay was hot it seemed like it lagged a bit........ http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

Modified by turbodom09 at 4:03 AM 9-9-2005

· Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·

so how swissed cheesed did u go? mine is currently swissed but its mostly on the very bottom of the box and my drill wont stay charged long enough for me to go crazy like I want to... Where would be the best place to drill out holes?

· Registered
1,983 Posts
i drilled as many 3/8 holes as i could into the area that is inside the fender, and a few on the bottom kinda staying toward the fender side....

EDIT: and of course, stay BELOW the air filter. lol........ http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

Modified by turbodom09 at 4:10 AM 9-9-2005

· Registered
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

ok cool, so the fender side would be better then cuz less heat from the engine and pulleys and such... makes sense, thanks again for all ur input, im getting price quotes @ a local neuspeed dealer on that ecu to see if i can get it any cheaper... Thanks again

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.