VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
5,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Which race spring does a better job? My main objective is handling.
I have eibach sportsline and they suck.

·
Registered
5,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Neuspeed race vs H&R race (mr Paul)

Paul Why Neuspeeds are better? Can you describe your H&R springs? How does the car handles?

·
Registered
610 Posts
Re: Neuspeed race vs H&R race (kickster)

i just think there not very stiff, i have nothing to back my thoughts up really i had just hoped "race" meant ultra stiff, i've heard the neuspeed race are pretty stiff, i may change to some ground controls or somthing to match my koni's cuz i think they'll let my car handle much better, if i do my h&r's may be for sale,
i just dont know if they're worth it i guess.
paul

·
Registered
5,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Re: Neuspeed race vs H&R race (mr Paul)

Paul I have heard the H&R race are very stiff! How much does it lower your car? Does it feel soft? Does it lean in to the turns?

·
Registered
805 Posts

Neuspeed Race are very very stiff..and they SLAMM your car..I mean 2.5 atleast..my rears are tucked and I have 195/65/14 tires..tucked...the front it tucked but not as much... front could be lower but I say NS race for sure...and lets remember NS race are not made by the same company that makes the other NS springs

·
Registered
5,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: Neuspeed race vs H&R race (Youngdubber4)

2.5" drop is too much. I wonder how the car handle with that kind of drop! The control arms are probably pointing up.

·
Registered
5,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

any more comments? I am confused I dont know which springs will provide better handling?

·
Registered
805 Posts

The NS ones will, don't listen to those guys, these springs are great. But I would suggest getting Koni shocks and Ground Control Coil-over sleeves, and get the 400lbs front springs and the 350lb rears. This way they are the same spring rate as the NS and H&R race springs, you can adjust the height and the dampering.

I'm cutting the perch off my Koni's next spring and getting GC coil-over sleeves with those spring rates.

but ya the NS race are wicked, I smoked MK2 gti with Apex springs and shocks with every NS bar you could think of, I toasted him in a set of long sweaping turns.

·
Registered
8,608 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]2.5" drop is too much. I wonder how the car handle with that kind of drop! The control arms are probably pointing up.[HR][/HR]​
Even Neuspeed sport springs will make the arms point up. If handling is your main concern, the next thing you need to figure out is "one what". What kind of road condition do you want to "handle" on. What is your definition of handling? You want crisp steering response?
If you're the type who likes to do 200 km/h on the highway or going wild in the canyons, if you like crisp steering and nice highspeed turns, go low and go stiff. H&R Race springs for sure, Bilstein Sport or Koni Adjustables for shocks. Add sway bars front and back, and this thing will not roll at all. (body roll that is).
If you like going crazy through the city and around town, with tight turns and stuff, or you drive often on crappy roads, get Sport springs and Sport shocks with a mild rear sway bar.
It all depends. If the roads are crap, bumpy and cracked, you'll lose all the guys who have race setups. They just slide out. Too stiff, and too low, not enough travel.
Hope this helps!

[Modified by Agtronic, 2:08 PM 12-15-2001]

·
Registered
5,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re: Neuspeed race vs H&R race (Agtronic)

Thanks for your replies, I need a set up for Race track and street use. My current set up.
Eibach sportsline, Boge Pro gas shocks, 18mm front bar and 28mm rear bar.
It feels soft, With 1.5" drop my cotrol arms are not pointing up!
My main concern is to take the turns faster.
Does any one know the spring rates for H&R springs? why does H&R says they say 50 to 100% stiffer than OEM? Are they that much off? 50-100% is not an accurate number.

·
Registered
8,608 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]It feels soft, With 1.5" drop my cotrol arms are not pointing up!
My main concern is to take the turns faster.[HR][/HR]​
Oh you have an '88. I don't know, but on my '96 Jetta, the arms point up slightly.
If you want to take turns faster, get good rubber, get some real shocks, and get some sport springs. If you're still not happy, have someone weld you a roll cage. You'll freak out. Huge difference! Get a strut tower brace, helps with steering response.

·
Registered
5,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Re: Neuspeed race vs H&R race (Agtronic)

well I already have sports spring (eibach sportsline) and I have the upper stress bar. I also have toyo 205 50 15 prox.

·
Registered
8,608 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]well I already have sports spring (eibach sportsline) and I have the upper stress bar. I also have toyo 205 50 15 prox.[HR][/HR]​
Which Proxes? T1-S or the FZ4? Running a good shock will help alot. Either Bilstein Sport or Koni Adjustables. There are others, but these are the two main performers.

·
Registered
2,858 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR] why does H&R says they say 50 to 100% stiffer than OEM? Are they that much off? 50-100% is not an accurate number.[HR][/HR]​
The H&R's are progressive springs. They are giving you the general range of the spring's progressive weighting versus the stock linear springs.
Let's measure the water depth before we jump in.

[Modified by dmkozak, 4:24 PM 12-16-2001]

·
Registered
1,676 Posts
Re: Neuspeed race vs H&R race (dmkozak)

I just put h&r race's this past week. I am running 17in rims with 225/45's up front and 255/40's in the rear with 20mm adaptors and those babys are flush i mean perfect. The springs also gave the car a very even drop. I dont know much about the neuspeed's but i like the h&r's very much.

·
Registered
805 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]well I already have sports spring (eibach sportsline) and I have the upper stress bar. I also have toyo 205 50 15 prox.
[HR][/HR]​
eibach are crap, they are too soft..NS race springs are rated as 400lbs in front and 350lbs in rear

and honestly ...Both Neuspeed and H&R are respctable suspension companies...so I have to say without trying the H&R spring they are both great and you will like them both

[Modified by Youngdubber4, 8:51 PM 12-16-2001]

·
Registered
5,046 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Re: Neuspeed race vs H&R race (Youngdubber4)

is any one running Neuspeed race with blistiens? Is the car lowered too much?

·
Registered
506 Posts

I plan on buying these H&R race for my 98 gti which already has konis on it. For right now i have 14's on. I am looking for drop and handling. Is the ride really that bad? and I can get them for 189. What do you guys think?
thanks alot
scott

1 - 20 of 24 Posts