VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

· Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Neuspeed RS10 paint issues

According to the article below, Neuspeed RS10 wheel paint peels, even if you only use soap and water to clean the wheels. The article mentions that Neuspeed was considering changing their paint process in order to resolve this problem. Does anyone know if they have resolved this problem? Do any other owners have this problem? Thanks
Quote »
Although pleased with the look and function of the wheels, we did encounter problems with the clear coat finish not long after installation -- the clear coat began peeling off of the outer polished lip. A quick call to Eric Narshni at Supremepowerparts.com, our source for the wheels, and Neuspeed shipped out another full set, complete with return shipping tags no questions asked. The Toyo�s remounted and balanced and were on our way. Interestingly enough � this set included a note to not use anything but soap and water to clean the wheels, so apparently Neuspeed had seen this problem before.
The second time around, the problem recurred even though the soap and water instructions were followed. Inquiring with Neuspeed, we understand that they are switching to a new process of clear coating. We truly loved the look of the wheels, but decided to go for a fresh alloy design when it came time for new tires.

http://www.fourtitude.com/news...shtml

· Registered
1,287 Posts
Re: Neuspeed RS10 paint issues (emanresu)

What finish are you considering? My RS10's have the original flat black finish and I've had no problems. I've heard there were problems on the other finishes.

· Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: Neuspeed RS10 paint issues (alvint_vw)

Quote, originally posted by alvint_vw »

What finish are you considering?

I am considering the silver finish.
I was hoping this was just an isolated incident, but it is starting to sound like everyone has this problem with the silver finish. I guess I will need to contact Neuspeed to see if they have resolved the problem.
Keep the reviews coming.
Thanks

· Registered
3,087 Posts

Quote, originally posted by emanresu »

I was hoping this was just an isolated incident, but it is starting to sound like everyone has this problem with the silver finish. I guess I will need to contact Neuspeed to see if they have resolved the problem.
Keep the reviews coming.
Thanks

Please let us know what you hear from Neuspeed. I was planning on getting a set of silver ones this summer

· Registered
2,234 Posts
I've had 2 sets of RS 10's. On the first set the clearcoat started to discolor, bubble and peel off after just a few months. They were sent back for inspection and they decided to send me a new set. They said that they changed vendors who were doing the finishing on the RS 10's and they would not peel. Well on the second set the clearcoat started to discolor and I sent them some more pictures. They told me all clearcoat finishes do that. Now about 1 year later the clearcoat is flaking off again. Mind you it is only the clearcoat on the polished rim, the silver color on the hub is fine. I have decided it's not worth it to send them back again and I am just going to let Wheels of America completely remove all the finish and either just live with polishing the bare metal of get them powder coated. Now they may have changed their process again I don't know. I also know of one other R32 owner here in SA that bought a used set that also has flaking of the clearcoat on the polished lip(one that has the black centers). By the way I still love the way they look on my R32 and this is why I have spent so much time and money on shipping and breaking the tires off and back on. If I didn't like them so much I would not mess with it and just get me some BBS. Jimbo

Modified by JIMBO ROBERTS at 4:59 PM 3-16-2008

· Premium Member
452 Posts
Re: (JIMBO ROBERTS)

I've had a similar experience as JIMBO. I had an original set in silver that had the clearcoat peel. Mind you, i used mild soap to clean them. Neuspeed was kind enough to send replacements. The replacements started to peel. I really like the wheels so i had them re-finished at Wheel Collision Center (Bath PA). They were finished in a hyperblack powdercoat with a polished lip. Look pretty good in my opinion. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif
I'll post up pics later.

Modified by BoriVW at 7:04 PM 3-17-2008

· Registered
9,473 Posts

Keep the reviews coming.
Thanks

I'm sure they will tell you they have - but I couldn't wait any longer than the 8 months I already had for replacements. Sure I could have had them refinished - but I was assured when I got my 2nd set that they wouldn't peel. While the wheels were nice - I didn't feel they were worth spending money on to fix an inherent problem.

· Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

Update: My e-mail to Neuspeed has gone unanswered for 3 days, so I stopped considering these wheels and purchased some BBS RC wheels today. Thanks for everyone's help.

· Registered
106 Posts
Do the people with problems use these wheels in the snow, or during winter months with the salt? Cause I love the look, and they would be a summer only set up.

· Registered
332 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Re: (jawaburger)

Quote, originally posted by jawaburger »
Do the people with problems use these wheels in the snow, or during winter months with the salt?

That is not the problem, because JIMBO ROBERTS is from San Antonio, TX.

· Premium Member
452 Posts
Re: (jawaburger)

I have used my wheels as a summer set up only. Used mild soap and the clear coat still peeled.

I paid a lot to have them re-done, but i'm hoping they'll last a while now.

Shot with NIKON D80 at 2008-03-21

Shot with NIKON D80 at 2008-03-21

Modified by BoriVW at 10:16 AM 3-21-2008

· Registered
1,562 Posts

Update: My e-mail to Neuspeed has gone unanswered for 3 days, so I stopped considering these wheels and purchased some BBS RC wheels today. Thanks for everyone's help.

considering that the 6 spoke was probably my best wheel choice this is good to know.

· Registered
106 Posts
Re: (VNV.Nation)

Not to drag this out of the heap, but now that I have paid off the R, I can save up enough money to buy some sweetass rims. I was wondering if the peeling issue that people were having with this wheel has been resolved. Thank you for any input.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.