VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I ordered a Neuspeed Short Shifter for my GTI last week and when it arrived I couldn't wait to install it. The factory GTI fore and aft shift throw is too long for me so I needed an alternative. The side to side throw is fine for me especially with 6 forward gears and I really didn't desire any reduction. The Neuspeed shifter takes maybe 15 minutes to install and after the install, no adjustment of the shifter cables was required. To me it appears the reduction in the Neuspeed Short Shifter is about 40%. After road testing the GTI after the install I'm very pleased with the results of this mod. The only tools needed are a 13mm socket, ratchet, extension, 20 torx bit and a pair of clamp pliers.
First remove the 2 torx screws on each side of the air intake duct that attaches to the front of the grille. Next remove the clamp that retains the
intake snorkel to the air filter/engine assembly and remove the snorkel. This gives you more than enough space to remove the shift cables and transmission shift lever. (short shifter)

Here is a photo of the OEM shift lever and cables.

In order to remove the shift lever, the 13mm nut must be removed from the shift lever and the 2 small clips which retain the shifter cables to the shift lever.
Remove each clip from the ends of the cables. The clips slide sideways off of the end of the cables where they attach to the shift lever. DO NOT LOSE these clips!!!!!!

This is what the cables look like with the clips removed.

Slide the cables off the shafts of the shift lever and move them out of the way of the shift lever.

Next, remove the 13mm nut on the top of the shift lever that secures the shift lever to the transmission selector shaft.

Once the 13mm nut is removed, pull up on the shift lever and gently rock the lever side to side and it will slide off the selector shaft.

Here is a photo comparing the Neuspeed shift lever to the OEM shift lever. The Neuspeed shift lever is the one on the right. The Neuspeed shift lever weighs considerably more than the OEM one.

Apply a liberal amount a silicone grease to the area of the shift lever that will come in contact with a small plastic guide that is attached to the top of the transmission. This guide will ride in the channel machined in the shift lever.

When installing the shift lever to the selector shaft, the selector shaft and shift lever are 'indexed'. Basically the shift lever splines will only slide over the selector shaft splines one way. This picture shows the 'index' of the shift lever. If the shift lever does not slide easily onto the selector shaft, DO NOT force the shift lever. Check to make sure it is 'indexed' correctly.

As you slide the shift lever onto the selector shaft, position the plastic guide so it fits into the channel that is machined in the shift lever.

Once the shift lever is seated all the way onto the selector shaft reinstall the 13mm nut and retorque to 20 ft lbs.
Apply silicone grease to the pins on the shift lever where the shift cables will be reinstalled.

Place the shift cable ends on the shift lever pins and reinstall the retaining clips for the cables.

Reinstall the air intake snorkel in reverse order of removal. With the engine OFF, and the clutch pedal depressed shift through all the gears. If everything feels smooth, start the engine and with the clutch STILL DEPRESSED, shift through all the gears again. If the shifts feel fine go for a road test and you will be

Modified by 4string at 7:08 AM 6-1-2006

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Re: (stickfigure02)

Shifts are precise and very short compared to the OEM shifter. Well worth the money to me. After you drive a car with one of these shifters you will loath the OEM shift throw.

·
Registered
2,721 Posts
Re: (4string)

Quote, originally posted by 4string »
Shifts are precise and very short compared to the OEM shifter. Well worth the money to me. After you drive a car with one of these shifters you will loath the OEM shift throw.

Great write up, I have got the dieselgeek one, will the installation be the same?

Modified by beanie338 at 9:35 PM 6-1-2006

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Re: (beanie338)

Quote, originally posted by beanie338 »

Great write up, I have got the dieselgreek one, will the installation the same?

No, the installation is completely different.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Re: (BillyInLasVegas)

Quote, originally posted by BillyInLasVegas »
Is there any way to shorten the shifts side to side?

Not with the Neuspeed short shifter.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Re: (metaltyphoon)

Quote, originally posted by metaltyphoon »
For everyone thingkin about neuspeed shortshifter... it's too expensive.. take a look at the EIP shorshifter... and it look like oem
pretty much the same reduction.
http://www.eiptuning.com/eip/shortshifts.html

Modified by metaltyphoon at 2:01 PM 6-1-2006

Too bad there is no listing for a MKV chassis. I called EIP and they said they are working on one.

·
Registered
1,675 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Re: (kawzx7)

Quote, originally posted by kawzx7 »
That would be dangerous IMO, they are already pretty close side to side.......

I agree. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

·
Registered
4,317 Posts
Re: (metaltyphoon)

Quote, originally posted by metaltyphoon »
For everyone thingkin about neuspeed shortshifter... it's too expensive.. take a look at the EIP shorshifter... and it look like oem
pretty much the same reduction.
http://www.eiptuning.com/eip/shortshifts.html

Modified by metaltyphoon at 2:01 PM 6-1-2006

if we're throwing plugs for other businesses around, contact M.J.M. Autohaus on the vortex for pricing on the neuspeed short shifter. the price he gave me was way lower than the $229 MSRP neuspeed wants.

1 - 20 of 60 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.