VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
  • Mwerks and Fourtitude have rejoined VWVortex. For more info, see this thread.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
2,774 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
http://news.yahoo.com/burger-and-cries-papaw-makes-dinner-for-101930480.html

As a man who has no grandparents left, this hit close to home. My grandpa died in 2010. He was the last grandparent I had, and not a day goes by I don't wish for more time with him. If you've still got time, use it while you can.

He had made 12 burgers in anticipation of dinner with his grandchildren.

So he would have felt more than a touch of disappointment when all bar one failed to show.

But fortunately the internet has mobilised to ensure Kelsey Harmon’s ‘Papaw’ feels loved after she posted an image on Twitter of her grandfather eating one of the burgers.

The Oklahoma student Kelsey Harmon, wrote underneatgh: 'Dinner with papaw tonight… He made 12 burgers for all six grandkids and I’m the only one who showed. love him [sic].’

Sure enough the image has provoked a collective outpouring of emotion from fellow Twitter users.

Many have asked Kelsey to send their messages of love to her Papaw – though some have been a little less positive, with death threats apparently being sent to Miss Harmon’s cousins.

'I know I don’t know you or papaw but can you tell him that we (the internet) love him?’ one person wrote.

The original post has been retweeted by more than 84,000 users and favourited nearly 150,000 times within 24 hours of being posted.

Some seem to have taken more extreme measures with Miss Harmon later posting: 'Papaw is ok guys I promise & he loves all grandkids equally, plz stop sending my cousins death threats everything is ok !!!! [sic]’.

Some hoped to be updated on the saga. Kimberley Hendry wrote: 'I need to know more! Did the grandkids apologise? What happened to the rest of Paw Paw’s burgers? Is he okay? I need to know’.

Another user wrote: 'Now he has 45.9K new grandchildren who would love to have a burger with him im in tears this made me so sad im crying’.

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
I was too young to appreciate my Italian grandfather, before he passed. He was a young private in the Italian Army during WWII, and apparently had some sobering stories: He was in Austria, and the hapless Italian Army had just disbanded, siding with the Allies. My grandfather and his friend were told they were on their own. They were being hunted by the Germans, and had to walk back to Italy.
A network of friendly Austrian families helped hide them on their way home.

My other grandpa was an awesome guy, and I knew him well. He was tough as nails, a real man. Former lumberjack and railroad mechanic. But a gentle giant.
My fondest memories are me sitting with him on his Lazy-Boy, with him chain smoking. We'd watch wrestling together, as he would teach me who the good guys were (Hogan), and who the bad guy was (Piper). Lost him a few years back.

·
Registered
5,274 Posts
Don't take anyone for granted. In the last 3 years I've been to 6 funerals. 2 grand parents (cancer), 3 friends of the family (2 cancer / 1 accident), and my girlfriends fathers funeral (fit/athletic guy had a heart attack). We've had the "we just talked to them yesterday" talk so many times its sicking. These last few years have really changed my perspective on life and enjoying what you have with whom you share it with.

·
Registered
7,308 Posts
Don't take anyone for granted. In the last 3 years I've been to 6 funerals. 2 grand parents (cancer), 3 friends of the family (2 cancer / 1 accident), and my girlfriends fathers funeral (fit/athletic guy had a heart attack). We've had the "we just talked to them yesterday" talk so many times its sicking. These last few years have really changed my perspective on life and enjoying what you have with whom you share it with.
Couldn't agree more.

·
Registered
2020 Subaru Ascent & 2020 Subaru WRX
1,760 Posts
I'm the oldest on my mom's side. My grandma (mom's mom) was a widow before I was born. My mom, grandma, and myself were extremely close. I missed Christmas in 2006 because I spent it with my in-laws. It was their turn since I have divorced parents so we rotate holidays between both of my parents and my wife's parents. My Grandma got sick after New Year's day and passed away Jan. 7, 2007. The last time I got to talk to her she was already in the hospital and completely delirious. I should've gone to Christmas at her house that year.

·
Registered
15,500 Posts
As I get older, my feeling of "young" has changed. When I hear of under-40s in our friend network and beyond passing when they are fit-as-a-fiddle, I cringe and can't sleep. There is so much left to do with so many loved ones.

Couldn't agree more.
I'm the oldest on my mom's side. My grandma (mom's mom) was a widow before I was born. My mom, grandma, and myself were extremely close. I missed Christmas in 2006 because I spent it with my in-laws. It was their turn since I have divorced parents so we rotate holidays between both of my parents and my wife's parents. My Grandma got sick after New Year's day and passed away Jan. 7, 2007. The last time I got to talk to her she was already in the hospital and completely delirious. I should've gone to Christmas at her house that year.
Don't do that to yourself, there isn't anything you can or could have done about it and there isn't any reason to look back with regret.

·
Registered
2020 Subaru Ascent & 2020 Subaru WRX
1,760 Posts
Don't do that to yourself, there isn't anything you can or could have done about it and there isn't any reason to look back with regret.
Thank you. I know, I don't dwell on it. I do make sure that my 6 month old son gets to see his 3 sets of grandparents as often as possible. I don't blame myself at all for not showing up for Christmas because there was no way anybody knew she would get sick. I do wish I had spent more time with her once I had become an adult but that's something I am sure everyone feels once they lose someone close.

·
Registered
5,274 Posts
Since I posted this I've been to 2 more funerals. My grandmother died, and my girl friends cousin's father whom committed suicide a week after her wedding. We just saw the guy at the wedding... WTH. All I want it to not attend a funeral in 2018.

My parents (early 60's) keep talking about taking a family vacation together. My older brother (I'm 33/he's 37) doesn't have time/money in the next few years according to him. I can't help but feel a bit of anxiety around it, I think its a good idea. None of us "kids" are getting any younger and my parents a total workaholics. Just feeling a time crunch I guess.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts