VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just excited to share my new ride! I left from Ottawa area at 5am to pick it up in Toronto. It has 310,000km on it. It has a Jr tuning stage 2 tune with all the deletes. It's in amazing condition overall with mileage aside, and drives as well as I imagined. Also very well priced compared to other Touaregs in Ontario, especially since I was going to do a tune/delete if I got one anyways. Looking forward to doing some road trips + towing with this. It will be a good replacement for my CC.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
So I had a safety inspection done in order to register the car, and unfortunately the mechanic says all 4 cradle (I'm assuming he means subframe) bushings are destroyed with chunks missing from them. Also needs new rear tires and rear brake work. This is a little annoying because the p/o said it had all new tires installed + brake pads/rotors done in November and it hasn't been driven much since the work was done. I'm also missing the trim ring for the shifter + latch for center console. So definitely have some work ahead of me. I can't seem to find an article on replacing subframe bushings

·
Registered
1,021 Posts
Hope the price was right. I had a 2009 TDI JSW which was a super car. Mine had 35K miles when diesel gate hit. Got 75% back on a 4year old car. Thank you VW

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
So I had a safety inspection done in order to register the car, and unfortunately the mechanic says all 4 cradle (I'm assuming he means subframe) bushings are destroyed with chunks missing from them. Also needs new rear tires and rear brake work. This is a little annoying because the p/o said it had all new tires installed + brake pads/rotors done in November and it hasn't been driven much since the work was done. I'm also missing the trim ring for the shifter + latch for center console. So definitely have some work ahead of me. I can't seem to find an article on replacing subframe bushings
"Rear tires"? No. All new tires, all the way around. Can't mix match on these. You'll tear the differentials up.

What needs done on brakes? Rotors and pads must be OEM from the dealership. Rotors are high carbon steel not generic crap. Parts will be about $1200 alone.

Subframe bushings are ~50 a piece and a bear to get to

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
"Rear tires"? No. All new tires, all the way around. Can't mix match on these. You'll tear the differentials up.

What needs done on brakes? Rotors and pads must be OEM from the dealership. Rotors are high carbon steel not generic crap. Parts will be about $1200 alone.

Subframe bushings are ~50 a piece and a bear to get to
I got told rear rotors and pads need replacing (Ontario safety inspection specs are about 25% pad thickness I believe? Rotors can be worn by a bit too, definitely don't need to look brand new) I had a look myself and the rotors have about a .02" lip on both sides, and all rear pads have about 70% life, so not sure if they were hoping to make some money off of a brake job. Not sure what's on there but braking performance was great. I'm going with raybestos semi metallic pads and their rotors, I've never had any issues and good performance with them on cars + trucks Tires should have passed from my research done too. The outer metal cages on all 4 bushings have big pieces broken off. Anyways, everything is on order and scored some 5 spoke wheels with good summer tires from a T3, and plan on bringing it back this upcoming week

·
Registered
2,411 Posts
If you don't buy OEM Volkswagen high-carbon rotors (which Raybestos are not...), your braking performance is going to take a huge hit especially if you tow anything.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts