VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
  • Mwerks and Fourtitude have rejoined VWVortex. For more info, see this thread.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts

·
Registered
13,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I picked up a new Kona Electric Ultimate about a week ago and so far I love it. This is our second EV (we also have a 2017 Soul EV) and replaced my 2016 Tucson. The range has been outstanding so far. Easily eclipsing the EPA range by about 10% (around 280 miles according to the GOM). The range is truly impressive for this class.

For the record I very nearly went the Tesla Model 3 route. I was excited to support an American car company for once, but the horror stories I've been hearing about parts back orders for even minor repairs gave me pause. As did the unwanted negative attention from the anti-EV crowd and higher insurance premiums. The Kona blends in with the gas variant and unless someone looked closely they would never guess it wasn't a typical run of the mill ICE car. That suits me just fine. Then there was the fact that I prefer a hatch body style to that of a sedan with a trunk. I won't lie, it was a tough decision in the end even with the 3's flaws. It's a great car if you want a techy, low riding sport sedan.

In any case, let me know if you guys have any questions about the Kona. I believe there are a few of us weirdo EV enthusiasts on here. ;)

General highlights:

Holy torque steer Batman! (In a good/fun way - it just needs better tires)

Surprisingly firm ride in the city, but smooths out nicely on the highway

Seats are quite comfortable and the cooling/ventilation works better than any car I've had with this feature including my old Lexus GS

Back seat leg room is tight for anyone over 5'6 or so (not an issue for us as the only occupant of our back seat is our Boston Terrier).

Adaptive cruise control works very well. The steering assist slightly less so. It's definitely not Tesla autopilot, but it's great for commuting.

The artificial noise this thing emits at low speeds to warn pedestrians is tad bit annoying and I wish I could turn it off.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

·
Registered
12,629 Posts
Nice! I'll be interested in hearing how that light colored interior wears.

·
Registered
28,928 Posts
The artificial noise this thing emits at low speeds to warn pedestrians is tad bit annoying and I wish I could turn it off.
Or modify it: *DING* Hey you, yeah YOU, what are you deaf? Get outta the muthafrackin way! *DING*

·
Registered
3,375 Posts
Congrats!

If they brought an AWD one of these, I would consider it right away. FWD not so bad in this segment but sounds like it would help with the torque steer as well.

·
Registered
121 Posts
Congrats!

If they brought an AWD one of these, I would consider it right away. FWD not so bad in this segment but sounds like it would help with the torque steer as well.
Not unless they run the drive system off a single motor. Most electric AWD systems thus far are dual motors.

·
Registered
1,493 Posts
That looks really sharp - I dig the color combination!

For the record I very nearly went the Tesla Model 3 route. I was excited to support an American car company for once, but the horror stories I've been hearing about parts back orders for even minor repairs gave me pause. As did the unwanted negative attention from the anti-EV crowd and higher insurance premiums.
I know exactly what you are talking about! I would really like to pick up a Model 3, but even I will admit that the negative press gets to be a downer after a while. I think this means that the terrorists are winning! :D

The Kona blends in with the gas variant and unless someone looked closely they would never guess it wasn't a typical run of the mill ICE car. That suits me just fine. Then there was the fact that I prefer a hatch body style to that of a sedan with a trunk. I won't lie, it was a tough decision in the end even with the 3's flaws. It's a great car if you want a techy, low riding sport sedan.
I hear you on blending in with gas versions. There are plenty of EV and hybrid haters in my region of diesel trucks, so having a vehicle that is not easily identifiable as a 'greenie' is appreciated. Only the most acute eye would notice that my srappy Fiat is fully electric, or my wife's floaty luxo-barge is really a 40 mpg hybrid. The funny thing is that I just simply enjoy technology, as well as not buying gas. The overall efficiency factor is cool, although I would glad give up some efficiency to drive a 4 mi/kW Model 3 AWD.

·
Registered
2,243 Posts
So that's like 13 EV owners on TCL now? Have we reached critical mass yet? :p
don't tell CTK! :D

I really like the kona EV. I think the koreans are still tops right now for battery efficiency, and I like their packaging a lot. if the TM3P didn't exist, I wouldn't hesitate to pick the kona (Yes, I know the tesla is almost 2x the cost of the kona, but if I'm buying a new EV it's gonna be the fast one).

keep us updated on how you like it going forward. I think these 2nd gen cars will really hold their value better baring some revolution in efficiency and/or home charging.

·
Premium Member
Vermonter ~ '20 Si Sedan – '94 Miata – '16 RAV4
35,858 Posts
Very cool, looking forward to your updates!

There’s a white one I’ve noticed a few times locally. The stippling on the front always catches my eye.

·
Registered
13,582 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
These things are just fugly.
I was waiting for this comment. It's cool. Not everyone likes the same thing I get that. I happen to be the type of weirdo that finds beauty in cars like the BMW i3.

To my eye the Kona looks less boring than the Niro, less awkwardly proportioned than the Bolt, and fairly equal to the Leaf. I also considered the Leaf, but aspects of the interior killed it for me (the Nissan is perhaps the only car above $30k without a telescoping steering wheel). Not to mention Nissan's lack of any sort of proper battery thermal management. They are falling behind quickly.

·
Registered
23,418 Posts
Great, and good luck with it. I would be most interested in any battery performance loss over the years.

<<2.0T_Convert >>

So that's like 13 EV owners on TCL now? Have we reached critical mass yet?

I leased my EV Golf more than three years ago, and so did many other VWVortex posters buy / lease electric cars at that time. I think we were way beyond 13 in 2016... ;)

·
Registered
15,827 Posts
Congrats on the car!

I wonder how's the lease on these things...
I can guarantee you that it's better than $740 a month that I was quoted on a Chevy Bolt.

So that's like 13 EV owners on TCL now? Have we reached critical mass yet?
:D 13 EV owners? I think it's more like Dawg-Dee-Luxe and BLK9GEN and that's it. :p

·
Registered
982, F22, E88, etc.
5,139 Posts
Nice pick up. :thumbup: If I were going to pick up an EV, right now this would be it.

For the past 10 years or so it seems like EVs have been treated as a design problem as much as an engineering problem. It's a new tech, but at the end of the day, don't people just want cars? I love that my Dad's 530e looks like a 5er, and that this Kona EV looks like a Kona.

I mean, imagine if we collectively decided that all fuel-injected cars had to look unique, or all turbocharged ones? TBH I don't see how EVs are any different from that--it's next-gen tech.

·
Registered
18,414 Posts
I was waiting for this comment. It's cool. Not everyone likes the same thing I get that. I happen to be the type of weirdo that finds beauty in cars like the BMW i3.

To my eye the Kona looks less boring than the Niro, less awkwardly proportioned than the Bolt, and fairly equal to the Leaf. I also considered the Leaf, but aspects of the interior killed it for me (the Nissan is perhaps the only car above $30k without a telescoping steering wheel). Not to mention Nissan's lack of any sort of proper battery thermal management. They are falling behind quickly.

New Soul EV is better looking and far more practical.

1 - 20 of 75 Posts