VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

New 2019 Kona Electric Initial Impressions

10K views 78 replies 37 participants last post by  Tommietank 
#1 ·
I picked up a new Kona Electric Ultimate about a week ago and so far I love it. This is our second EV (we also have a 2017 Soul EV) and replaced my 2016 Tucson. The range has been outstanding so far. Easily eclipsing the EPA range by about 10% (around 280 miles according to the GOM). The range is truly impressive for this class.

For the record I very nearly went the Tesla Model 3 route. I was excited to support an American car company for once, but the horror stories I've been hearing about parts back orders for even minor repairs gave me pause. As did the unwanted negative attention from the anti-EV crowd and higher insurance premiums. The Kona blends in with the gas variant and unless someone looked closely they would never guess it wasn't a typical run of the mill ICE car. That suits me just fine. Then there was the fact that I prefer a hatch body style to that of a sedan with a trunk. I won't lie, it was a tough decision in the end even with the 3's flaws. It's a great car if you want a techy, low riding sport sedan.

In any case, let me know if you guys have any questions about the Kona. I believe there are a few of us weirdo EV enthusiasts on here. ;)

General highlights:

Holy torque steer Batman! (In a good/fun way - it just needs better tires)

Surprisingly firm ride in the city, but smooths out nicely on the highway

Seats are quite comfortable and the cooling/ventilation works better than any car I've had with this feature including my old Lexus GS

Back seat leg room is tight for anyone over 5'6 or so (not an issue for us as the only occupant of our back seat is our Boston Terrier).

Adaptive cruise control works very well. The steering assist slightly less so. It's definitely not Tesla autopilot, but it's great for commuting.

The artificial noise this thing emits at low speeds to warn pedestrians is tad bit annoying and I wish I could turn it off.

Sent from my GM1917 using Tapatalk

See less See more
#4 ·
The artificial noise this thing emits at low speeds to warn pedestrians is tad bit annoying and I wish I could turn it off.
Or modify it: *DING* Hey you, yeah YOU, what are you deaf? Get outta the muthafrackin way! *DING*

#11 ·
don't tell CTK! :D

I really like the kona EV. I think the koreans are still tops right now for battery efficiency, and I like their packaging a lot. if the TM3P didn't exist, I wouldn't hesitate to pick the kona (Yes, I know the tesla is almost 2x the cost of the kona, but if I'm buying a new EV it's gonna be the fast one).

keep us updated on how you like it going forward. I think these 2nd gen cars will really hold their value better baring some revolution in efficiency and/or home charging.

#9 ·
That looks really sharp - I dig the color combination!

For the record I very nearly went the Tesla Model 3 route. I was excited to support an American car company for once, but the horror stories I've been hearing about parts back orders for even minor repairs gave me pause. As did the unwanted negative attention from the anti-EV crowd and higher insurance premiums.
I know exactly what you are talking about! I would really like to pick up a Model 3, but even I will admit that the negative press gets to be a downer after a while. I think this means that the terrorists are winning! :D

The Kona blends in with the gas variant and unless someone looked closely they would never guess it wasn't a typical run of the mill ICE car. That suits me just fine. Then there was the fact that I prefer a hatch body style to that of a sedan with a trunk. I won't lie, it was a tough decision in the end even with the 3's flaws. It's a great car if you want a techy, low riding sport sedan.
I hear you on blending in with gas versions. There are plenty of EV and hybrid haters in my region of diesel trucks, so having a vehicle that is not easily identifiable as a 'greenie' is appreciated. Only the most acute eye would notice that my srappy Fiat is fully electric, or my wife's floaty luxo-barge is really a 40 mpg hybrid. The funny thing is that I just simply enjoy technology, as well as not buying gas. The overall efficiency factor is cool, although I would glad give up some efficiency to drive a 4 mi/kW Model 3 AWD.

#13 ·
I was waiting for this comment. It's cool. Not everyone likes the same thing I get that. I happen to be the type of weirdo that finds beauty in cars like the BMW i3.

To my eye the Kona looks less boring than the Niro, less awkwardly proportioned than the Bolt, and fairly equal to the Leaf. I also considered the Leaf, but aspects of the interior killed it for me (the Nissan is perhaps the only car above $30k without a telescoping steering wheel). Not to mention Nissan's lack of any sort of proper battery thermal management. They are falling behind quickly.

#12 ·
Very cool, looking forward to your updates!

There’s a white one I’ve noticed a few times locally. The stippling on the front always catches my eye.

#14 ·
Great, and good luck with it. I would be most interested in any battery performance loss over the years.

<<2.0T_Convert >>

So that's like 13 EV owners on TCL now? Have we reached critical mass yet?

I leased my EV Golf more than three years ago, and so did many other VWVortex posters buy / lease electric cars at that time. I think we were way beyond 13 in 2016... ;)

#18 ·
Nice pick up. :thumbup: If I were going to pick up an EV, right now this would be it.

For the past 10 years or so it seems like EVs have been treated as a design problem as much as an engineering problem. It's a new tech, but at the end of the day, don't people just want cars? I love that my Dad's 530e looks like a 5er, and that this Kona EV looks like a Kona.

I mean, imagine if we collectively decided that all fuel-injected cars had to look unique, or all turbocharged ones? TBH I don't see how EVs are any different from that--it's next-gen tech.

#23 ·
Congrats! What is your mix of city/highway driving? I'd like to get an EV as our next vehicle and my wife likes the Kona, so this has piqued my interest. Both of us have a ~90 mile round trip commute, but it's almost all highway for both of us. I'm not sure if we'd maximize the benefits of EV ownership without having more city driving on a daily basis.

#24 ·
About 60% city and 40% highway.

The aerodynamics of the Kona make this tons more efficient on the highway than our Soul EV. The car had to be delivered across state lines to Nevada to avoid CA sales tax. The total distance of this trip was 160 miles with an average speed of 55-60 mph and an approx. 6500' elevation climb. It still had 90 miles on the GOM after the trip. [emoji106]

In mild weather and with city driving this should be capable of 300 miles. The best we ever got with our Soul after considerable effort was 124 miles. If anything they are underrating the performance for some reason. Owners are getting better than advertised range and 0-60 times.

#28 ·
But OP is not in California. I was quoted $740 a month for 3/36 lease with $0 drive off for a Bolt LT (not even a Premier). :mad: And that's not counting $20 extra a month for property taxes we have to pay in TX. So, $760 a month for a...Bolt.

#36 · (Edited)
Just a quick update:

So far I've been thoroughly impressed with the range. Granted, it's been warm out but even with the AC on in the afternoon I've been getting in the realm of 290 miles per charge. It's hard to figure exactly because I don't run the battery all the way down to zero.

My biggest complaint so far is road noise. On grooved concrete highways this thing can get boomy. I'm thinking of switching to these tires and selling the craptastic OEM Nexens. https://www.wired.com/story/bridgestone-turanza-quiettrack-tire/

#37 ·
Just a quick update:

So far I've been thoroughly impressed with the range. Granted, it's been warm out but even with the AC on in the afternoon I've been getting in the realm of 290 miles per charge. It's hard to figure exactly because I don't run the battery all the way down to zero.
Does the Kona offer a remote start or a timered pre-conditioning while on a charger?

One of my coworkers drives a Bolt, he uses preconditioning here in soupy-humid SC to reduce his AC energy consumption on the drive home.

#45 · (Edited)
I do not disagree that EVs are still pricey relative to their very similar gas equivalents, but there are various tax incentives to help offset some of that. Unfortunately there is no getting around the significant cost of big battery packs. The Kona is the longest range non-Tesla EV for sale so at least there is a that.

Still, if you're looking to save money a hybrid is a much better option. The hybrid Kona is on the way FYI. You'd have to keep the Kona Electric a looooong time to actually save any money. At least it comes with a lifetime battery warranty should anyone want to keep it for the long haul.

For me I didn't get th Kona to impress anyone (obviously) or save money. I got it because I simply loved the driving experience. EVs are great commuter cars. At 5000' above sea level where I am at it's quicker than most other cars/trucks on the road. All that instant torque makes merging and passing a breeze. And the lack of NVH is really stress-reducing after a long day at the office.

#46 ·
Being in a CAFE state, I thought I'd try to figure out what one of these would cost me...

Here in Vermont, the Hyundai would be eligible for the full $7500 Federal Tax Credit.

Power Company Incentives:
Green Mountain Power is offering electric car incentives, including $1,500 for a new all-electric vehicle, $1,000 for a new plug-in hybrid, or $750 for a used electric car (either all-electric or plug-in hybrid). The first 150 low-to-moderate income customers getting a new or used all-electric vehicle will also qualify for an additional $1,000 rebate. These incentives are available for customers purchasing or leasing electric cars with a manufacturer's suggested retail price (MSRP) under $50,000. Interested customers are encouraged to visit GMP's EV rebate page for additional details.

GMP also offers customers free Level 2 (240 Volt) charging equipment with a new electric vehicle purchase. Existing electric car owners can obtain Level 2 equipment from GMP for a $9.99 monthly fee. Visit their in-home charging page for more details.
It still winds up being a lot more than I've ever paid for a car, but there are certainly incentives. left for Hyundai buyers.

#47 ·
And if you want to jump down the Youtube rabbit hole...

Looks like an excellent car. :thumbup:

#55 · (Edited)
Just a brief 2 month update.

On a recent roadtrip from Reno, NV to Gilroy, CA I averaged 5 miles/kwh on the way down and 4.3 back up over the pass. Trip average: 4.7 miles/kwh.

As far as my typical 18-20 mile daily commute I have learned two things about the Kona's range.

1) 300 miles from a single charge is easy in warm weather even with AC running all the time.

2) 350 miles is totally acheivable in city driving with limited AC usage and light acceleration.

I am curious to see how much the range drops in winter, but I am supremely impressed with the range difference and overall efficiency compared to our 2017 Kia Soul EV. Our Soul never gets better than 4.0 miles/kwh. We have to charge the Soul every 4 days or so. The Kona gets charged every other week. My Kona is either some weird outlier in terms of range or they are severely underrating the range.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.