VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
501 - 520 of 570 Posts

·
Registered
A couple of CUVs
2,486 Posts
$60K is a deal. 475hp?!? That is firmly above the S audis, M-performance BMW's, and sub-level AMG's which all produce in the realm of 375-400. It's slightly less than what the new M3/4 puts out, and RS/AMG cars, but those are $90K competitors.
I think power numbers are kind of irrelevant since it won't be quicker than those cars. You buy this because you feel romantic about how a V8 Lexus compact sedan looks, feels and sounds, and are confident that it will be easy and rewarding to own.

·
Registered
6,205 Posts
May not be quicker but I will bet it will be more rewarding to drive than the little thrill turbocharged options they are shoving down our throats. Yeap, that's right we live in a time where Lexus makes more thrilling sports sedans than BMW.

·
Premium Member
9,882 Posts
I think power numbers are kind of irrelevant since it won't be quicker than those cars. You buy this because you feel romantic about how a V8 Lexus compact sedan looks, feels and sounds, and are confident that it will be easy and rewarding to own.
AGainst my better judgement I'm gonna publicly assume you're not convinced...............

·
Registered
4,980 Posts
I agree, for something with a lot of power, I’m not too sure of a manual is the way to go nowadays. A lot of high powered cars on automatic only anyways.

·
Premium Member
6,867 Posts
I dont want to come across as pooh poohing this car, because I'm honestly sad I can't afford it. But rated HP isn't everything. The M340i is as fast as the old RC F in a straight line, with "100" less horsepower. I imagine this might be traction limited off the line but still a ~113 MPH car through the quarter- nothing any sane person would call slow

And of course it will look and sound amazing at all times, without having track day consumables. This is the one :(
I hear you both, but the v8 is kind of the point. Its glorious. Also, Im not looking it up, but doesnt the RC-F weigh ~500lbs more than the M340i? Eitherway, the M340i is clinical in its power delivery, and is an all around great car. But at this level, (obviously having not driven both and doing a paper comparison) I'd rather have the lexus. When you take that next step to the full M/AMG/RS, then yes, Lexus doesn't have a competitive horse in the show. But underneath that, this is an extremely compelling option, and the diference of a few tenths of a second in acceleration would not be a determinative factor for me. Rather, its the whole package.

·
Premium Member
9,882 Posts
Oh dont get me wrong, I hate bench racing quibbles over meaningless tenths and the like, and agree 100% that this will probably be more special than any German equivalent. But the higher power won't translate to better performance. The RC-F weighs the same ~3800-3900lb as the M340i so I expect this to be about as quick. FWIW the RC F has a quicker 5-60 so who knows.

·
Registered
2018 Trek Domane
3,591 Posts
I don't think it's too expensive, I think that I'm too cheap/poor. If I had money, I tell you what I'd do, I'd go downtown and buy a Lexus or two.

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
Considering the bs markups on the typeS pushing it to 60-70k, street price of the lex will be in the 80-90k range for launch editions easily. Which is a shame honestly.

·
Registered
A couple of CUVs
2,486 Posts
I hear you both, but the v8 is kind of the point. Its glorious. Also, Im not looking it up, but doesnt the RC-F weigh ~500lbs more than the M340i? Eitherway, the M340i is clinical in its power delivery, and is an all around great car. But at this level, (obviously having not driven both and doing a paper comparison) I'd rather have the lexus. When you take that next step to the full M/AMG/RS, then yes, Lexus doesn't have a competitive horse in the show. But underneath that, this is an extremely compelling option, and the diference of a few tenths of a second in acceleration would not be a determinative factor for me. Rather, its the whole package.
Absolutely compelling, especially for this time in history. No argument from me. Silent German rocketships will be available forever. I'm at a point personally where I don't care much about sedans, and V8 sounds and a high revving nature aren't important to me in a premium all arounder.

I recognize I'm like an anti-enthusiast in many ways. I'd probably plop IS500 money on a 718 Cayman with a 4-popper and PDK. CUV/SUV as our other vehicle.

·
Registered
2,922 Posts
Considering the bs markups on the typeS pushing it to 60-70k, street price of the lex will be in the 80-90k range for launch editions easily. Which is a shame honestly.
TLX-S has big markups? Is that because it's new or actually in high demand?

·
Registered
2,894 Posts
Very handsome car. Seems like it would be the perfect tool for cross continental touring.

·
Premium Member
9,882 Posts

·
Registered
A couple of CUVs
2,486 Posts
I have time today. Tell me why you think a base A4 is a better buy
Not sure why you're asking that. It will surely lease for way less money than the IS500 if you're looking for a good all-arounder and not a collectible. Like I said, I don't really care about sedans at all right now. You love Japanese sedans, so it's great for you.

·
Premium Member
9,882 Posts
Not sure why you're asking that. It will surely lease for way less money than the IS500 if you're looking for a good all-arounder and not a collectible. Like I said, I don't really care about sedans at all right now. You love Japanese sedans, so it's great for you.
OK I thought you were sneak dissing. (See signature)

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
I have time today. Tell me why you think a base A4 is a better buy

For real? Asking is one thing. If people are paying markups they're not admitting it in the FB groups. They're def not marking them up by me
from memory the highest markup paid is i think $5k, this is just going off people posting what theyve seen advertised in showrooms and emails with internet sales managers and such.

501 - 520 of 570 Posts