VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
541 - 560 of 570 Posts

·
Registered
8,443 Posts
lol friend of mine is picking up an evo tomorrow its not yours is it
haha I doubt it, the car is gone, sold locally in Ohio. It sold in 2 days, very clean evo's are impossible to find apparently. They are worth a ton and ppl willing to fly all over the country to come get it.

·
Premium Member
9,882 Posts
My biggest fear here, if I was in the market, is that I'd be really excited to drive one, then drive one, but still prefer the driving experience of the M340 or even S4.
I think that will largely come down to whether the V8 outweighs the ZF8. The ZF8 is admittedly amazing and I can't fault someone who likes to shift "manually" going for it. I'm personally not bothered. With this kind of HP, if the gearing and TCU programming are decent I'm happy to leave the shifting to the computer.

If anything this has me thinking more and more about the regular old IS350 sport.... yes the IS500 is special and amazing.... but the 350 is attainable and a dynamic + aesthetic upgrade over my TLX. But that's not relevant to this thread, maybe outside of the notion that perhaps halo cars do work sometimes :D

Reactions: tvrbob

·
Registered
4,980 Posts
I’m not surprised that it’s close in MSRP to the RC-F. Hopefully it’s more sorted out than the RC. But honestly if all you care is about the V8 a RC F might be a better deal. , there’s more discounts on those.

·
Registered
8,608 Posts
Yep just watched and checked C&D stats. It's not super far from the benchmark M340i- 0-60 is a lot slower but it starts to reel it back in the quarter mile. Like Mark said though this is not a spec car............... it does everything it needs to do well very well, and brings things to the table nobody else does. I'd wager that in 5 or so years these will be worth more than all the German equivalents honestly.

With meatier tires, good suspension and an oil cooler this is basically an IS F.... def still my pick of the segment. Will have to see what prices do in like 2 years

According to C&D, both the M340i and the IS500 have 5-60mph times of 4.7 seconds (The S5 Sportback is 5.8s). I think the IS500 will feel about as quick in the real world as the M340i.

·
Registered
'94 Corrado/ '07 997tt/ '18 GC SRT
28,013 Posts
I think that will largely come down to whether the V8 outweighs the ZF8. The ZF8 is admittedly amazing and I can't fault someone who likes to shift "manually" going for it. I'm personally not bothered. With this kind of HP, if the gearing and TCU programming are decent I'm happy to leave the shifting to the computer.

If anything this has me thinking more and more about the regular old IS350 sport.... yes the IS500 is special and amazing.... but the 350 is attainable and a dynamic + aesthetic upgrade over my TLX. But that's not relevant to this thread, maybe outside of the notion that perhaps halo cars do work sometimes :D
Is this the same transmission that's in the RC-F? If so, is it thought that the transmission is a big let down to an otherwise decent car? There seems to be a lot of interesting options in this class of car. And regardless of the reviews, I'd probably still look at the TLX type S. I really like the styling and the engine, so I'd have to check one out. Strictly in the interest of science, of course.

·
Registered
3,061 Posts
But but the interwebz says type s too slow and heavy. Could ded.

·
Registered
S2000, E320
7,643 Posts
Take a look at IS-F depreciation (or lack thereof) and that $60k doesn't seem so bad. Granted this isn't a full 'F' but it should hold value very well as last NA V8 compact sedan.

·
Registered
2018 Trek Domane
3,591 Posts

The IS350 has always been a pretty good car to drive. I tested a 2007 RWD model about 5 years ago and rather liked it. With some lighter wheels, good tires, and probably ISF sway bars it would be a great ride with plenty of power.

The only reason I didn't buy the 07 was that the rear seats didn't fold down. I think the newer predator ones do, not sure about this brand new one.

·
Registered
174 Posts

·
Premium Member
9,882 Posts
It's better than the quasi last gen Hyundai look BMW interiors are rocking these days.

These look and sound better than similarly priced German competitors. The only strange thing is the FWDish nose. Very little prestige gap and a lot of overhang from all angles.

Sent from my SM-G781U1 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Elite_Deforce

·
Goes in two directions
'14 RAV4Runner, '13 500 Abarth Pastabox, '20 Corolla Smurf Edition
3,701 Posts
If I could afford this car, I would buy one without hesitation. The Lexus predator styling has been refined to the point of looking great to me, and that soundtrack is wonderous.

It is a breath of fresh NA air to a segment of numb turbo number chasers.

·
Premium Member
9,882 Posts
Are you insane?
Ok, the C43 looks better, but NA V8>turbo 6s; the G30 is ugly and the S4 is boring.

Sent from my SM-G781U1 using Tapatalk

Reactions: Mazda 3s

·
Registered
341 Posts
Lexus IS 500 Colors

Lexus IS 500 Interior Colors

HOW WOULD YOU SPEC YOUR IS 500?
Michael’s take: Infrared exterior with black interior. Memory and Navigation/Mark Levinson packages. Triple-beam LED headlights, moonroof and Panoramic View monitor.

Kevin’s take: Grecian Water exterior with Circuit Red Interior. Memory and Navigation/Mark Levinson packages. Triple-beam LED headlights and Panoramic View monitor.
tvrbob's take: Kevin sucks at reading charts.

·
Chili Bigot
(boop/ bop/ beep)
20,375 Posts
I am trying to imagine a world with an Ultrasonic Blue Mica IS500 optioned with a Circuit Red interior.

• Love
Reactions: oidoglr
541 - 560 of 570 Posts