·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
just got an 06 3.2 S-line 57k miles
factory 18" wheels, Xenons, ect..
what are the must have. must do mods?
car is 100% stock, not looking to do much,
the stock airbox looks restrictive, would modding it or an aftermarket intake do more than just make noise?

what else?
thanks, pics will come..

·
Registered
3,494 Posts
cat back exhaust. doods have gone with magnaflow.
S3 BBK
Evoms CAI. no increase in power but more sound. Or go with modshack's tube that has a measurable decrease in intake temperature.

·
Registered
3,836 Posts
Depends how you drive it.

I regularly push it pretty hard, including track days once a quarter or so. Personally, I love the Haldex upgrade and DSG flash. I had my car on HPA's dyno and the front:rear torque split in race mode was closer to 50:50 than their graph shows. Here is a recent thread from the R32 forum about the Haldex:

http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthre...-on-Haldex-Tunes-on-our-cars&highlight=haldex

There are many ways to drop $ into the car beyond these, but if you haven't done it, a high performance driver's ed day is really fun and a great way to get to know the car's limits.

·
Registered
3,155 Posts
just got an 06 3.2 S-line 57k miles
factory 18" wheels, Xenons, ect..
what are the must have. must do mods?
car is 100% stock, not looking to do much,
the stock airbox looks restrictive, would modding it or an aftermarket intake do more than just make noise?

what else?
thanks, pics will come..
no must do mods. engine/intake/exhaust is good to go. If you want noisy just to be noisy, i no longer care about you. Same with low just to be low. you will kill handling and suspension travel, and im guessing you get snow in SD, so get some winter wheels/tires.

First off, you should change all fluids: DSG/Haldex/oil to be sure all are good, unless good recent reciepts. check to see if ignition coils were upgraded per recall. same w/fuel filler vent recall.

check pads and rotors, and tires... stock 3.2 wheels were 17. 18 was an option? cool.
set aside some $$ for a new thermostat. change sparkies when do the coils.

buy a VCDS.

agree on Haldex upgrade valve/software, but it is about $1k. go for it.

congrats on the purchase! Drive it a while before you do anything silly.

:snowcool:

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
cosmetic = '11+ DSG knob, '11+ RNS-E (HD), Votex sides, '09+ LED tails

sound = Evoms Intake, magnaflow/miltek/neuspeed exhaust

suspension = coilovers (KW, PSS10)

Performance = ECU, DSG, Haldex

i did everything except for "Performance" (i already have the upgraded haldex stock, DSG mod too rich for me, ECU just doesnt have the gains to justify)

·
Registered
15,102 Posts

·
Registered
1,327 Posts
so, how much did spend to de-tune your intake and exhaust, kill torque, and make is SOUND faster?

:laugh::bs:
purchased both brand new for less than the price of a DSG flash which i still don't understand the point of. but hey if going WOT in a tunnel with the windows down puts a bigger smile on your face with a DSG tune, then congrats, money well spent. :facepalm:

the ecu tune on the other hand is quite cheap (349 for unitronic) and i've almost pulled the trigger a few times (they are local to me) but 1) i dont want to be disappointed i.e. no change => why did i spend $ on this and 2) risk of dealer seeing it and giving me trouble if something required warranty work on engine

trust me, its really not difficult to convince myself to buy parts for my car but for these 2 i just havent convinced myself that they are worth it

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
I'm doing the HPA ECU flash and DSG tune this spring. From talking to people it's my understanding that you will notice a bigger difference with the DSG than you will reprogramming the ECU.

·
Registered
2,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
what kind of difference will i notice if i get an updated haldex unit? how spendy are they?
where can LED tails be bought? and vag com required?

i am not one for coilovers, i would never adjust them anyways. i would just do a nice cup kit, or such.
tint is in the works.. but the mods will have to wait for a while as i just paid cash for the car, so i am broke for a while

·
Registered
745 Posts
Plus one for window tint. Hmm what you must do. Take a nice drive and enjoy the car for what it is. I am loving my 2.0t on a nice drive up and down Thr local mountains.

Dsg? Are you liking the paddle shudders or driving in manual mode?

·
Registered
3,836 Posts
what kind of difference will i notice if i get an updated haldex unit? how spendy are they?
More torque bias to the rear, with faster engagement of the transfer clutch pack. There are 2 additional programs besides stock: sport and race. I have to say that I just leave mine on race. From what I understand, it behaves more like the Gen 4 Haldex that is on the newer models in that it senses throttle position instead of relying on wheel spin and or rotation difference to engage the clutches. It helps push the car around corners, so it reduces understeer. This graph of power split on an all wheel drive dyno shows the 3 modes. When I had my A3 on this dyno, the race split was even closer to 50:50.

Here is the thread:
http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthre...troller-for-Audi-A3-(8P)&highlight=haldex+hpa

·
Registered
3,539 Posts
hehehehehe after these guys finish spending your money, your screen name will be

ICH and you will be iching your forehead wondering where all the money went.

I'm with JR and KB, HPA DSG flash and HPA haldex controller on race mode is so beautiful for driving. APR ECU tune on 93 mode opens up the midrange. It's nice to redline at 7100 and launch at 4950. Are they must haves...no. I will also add H&R RSB/FSB will help the understeer. VF mounts all 3 and VF intake are window dressing but the mounts do put a smile to my face cuz they are so pretty. again NOT a must have. Milltek exhaust non resonated sounds great again NOT a must have but I love it. Don't get me started on the S3/Euro conversion thingy but let's just say I HATE CUPHOLDERS, so I have no more. Cheers and my advice just wash it and shine it cuz once you start modding, it will never end

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.