VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
According to Audi they will release a 1.8T version of the new A4 Cabriolet in early 2003, but there is no mention of Quattro being available . does anyone know for sure if Quattro will be available on the Cabriolet?

·
Banned
6,488 Posts
Re: new A4 Cabriolet 1.8T with Quattro? (INDIGO)

quote:[HR][/HR]does anyone know for sure if Quattro will be available on the Cabriolet?[HR][/HR]​
Not sure why anyone that would by a Cabriolet would care about quattro. These are "poser' cars, not real cars.

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
Re: new A4 Cabriolet 1.8T with Quattro? (NC-GTI)

I guess the thinking is that people wouldn't take their Cab out into the snow so they wouldn't need quattro. I tend to agree, unless you are in the elements or demand the performance then why get worse gas mileage.
As far as 'verts being poser cars, I don't get it. I was considering selling the S and buying one but I know I'd miss the power. I will most likely buy either a used A8 or A4 Cab in a couple years or so.

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Re: new A4 Cabriolet 1.8T with Quattro? (S4inSoFla)

The new S4 will eventually be a cab, more than likely (and will almost certaibly have Quattro)
I only say http://****************.com/smile/emthdown.gif to no quattro... cause I don't like FWD...
But in all fairness a convertible isn't meant to be in an environment where Quattro would be necessary. BMW as well has 4 wheel drive available for the 3 series sedan, but not on the 3 series convertible.
No Quattro on the cab keeps it simple.... less ways the car can come, and it keeps costs down.
My gut feeling on S4 Coupe and Cab, is that they will be very much so overpriced in a direct comparison to the equivalent M3s....
So Audi better be careful with what they are going to do with the new S4s.

·
Registered
544 Posts
Re: new A4 Cabriolet 1.8T with Quattro? (MB The Body)

Audi has mentioned that they will only offer the cabriolet in automatic because that's what most cabriolet owners buy. And it's just too cost prohibitive to offer multitude choices because for every engine/transmission variation they have to spend lots of $$ for emissions certification. They don't offer the FWD with Quattro right now because Audi is still working on it. And it's probably questionable whether or not they'll ever offer it on the cabriolets. The cabriolets are a very small market segment for Audi, and sometimes the small sales don't justify the extra emmissions testing and certification.

·
Registered
2,736 Posts
Re: new A4 Cabriolet 1.8T with Quattro? (JoeO)

quote:[HR][/HR]They don't offer the FWD with Quattro right now because Audi is still working on it.[HR][/HR]​
FWD and Quattro could never be on the same car..

Did you mean they don't offer the convertible with Quattro ?

[Modified by MB The Body, 12:11 AM 8-6-2002]

·
Registered
76 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·

O.k. thanks for the comments, to clear things up I'm interested in a quattro version of the cabriolet because I would like to avoid the steering torque that is inherint in front wheel drive . after having owned both an Audi Quattro and a VW 4Motion I would never go back to front wheel drive. I live in the northwest(Seattle,WA)where poor driving conditions(rain)are common, when you combine front wheel drive with a strong engine in wet slippery conditions you get alot of tire slip that transfers thru to the steering wheel . but summers here are incredible! (don't tell anyone) so the Quattro Cabriolet will be the perfect balance for me. These are German designed cars does anyone really believe that the A4 cabriolet wasn't tested in and designed for inclement weather conditions? as for the poser comment
when you grow out your teens maybe you will understand what most of us adults already know that how fast you can get to the store to buy acne creme should not be your underlying reason for purchasing a car
I just received my august copy of Automobile magazine(50 hottest new cars of 2003) and It appears that although Audi will not be offering quattro initially or with the 1.8T, they will be offering quattro as an A4 cabriolet option with the 3.0 litre V6 in early 2003.

·
Registered
2,736 Posts

If I lived in Seattle, Washington... one of the most rained on places in the United States... I'd never choose a cabriolet. Just doesn't seem logical, of course its nice when the sun is out and the top is down... but cabs aren't the greatest with the top up.
Funny though, that I was in Washington for 4 days, and never saw anything but sunshine.

·
Registered
3,305 Posts
Re: new A4 Cabriolet 1.8T with Quattro? (MB The Body)

I've been to Seattle about a dozen times and only seen downpours once or twice. It rains much more here in S. FL in the summertime and you see convertibles everywhere.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts