VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1341 - 1360 of 1546 Posts

·
Registered
5,189 Posts
Also, If you go down the list, there’s only 2 coupes on that list that is not a luxury coupe (I.e. the high MSRP can offset the development cost), or was not part of a collaborative effort,
BRZ and 86 was a collaborative effort
Fiat bankrolled MX5/Miata development
Z4 and Supra was a collaborative development

GR Yaris is a very limited pet project of the actual owner of the company. That wouldn’t fly at Honda, GM or frankly any other company outside of Tesla.

·
Registered
16,130 Posts
Blah, blah... Honda (+ Acura) aka the 5th largest auto manufacturer in the planet EARTH cannot make a SINGLE 2 door coupe while...
Toyota have GR Yaris, 86, Supra, LC, Copen
BMW have 2, 4, 8, Z4, Mini cooper
Mercedes C, S, SLK, SL, GT
Ford Mustang, GT
GM Camaro, Corvette
Even the tiny Mazda has MX5 forever
Tiny Subaru has BRZ

And VW don't have 2 door but at least it has enough subsidiary brands have them. And for Acura, they can't have one because Honda don't have one for them to base on. WTF? Where is the Acura coupe when Civic AND Accord still have the fxxking coupes? Yea blame the customers while I still see new Mini Cooper 2 door, new BMW 3 coupe, Mercedes C/E coupe on the roads.

Honda is like the past Toyota/Intel (CPU maker). They need someone like Akio Toyoda.

I really dont like the Integra name come back, the last Integra killed Prelude, this time killed the Civic Coupe.

Oh yea Honda actually still have a 2 door. It is Honda e....
Um. The NSX is a coupe.

Also, this whole discussion presents a false dichotomy.

It isn't a question of whether Acura could or could not afford to develop and produce a coupe. Obviously Honda/Acura could afford to do so.

The issue is whether: (1) Acura management was inclined to devote resources to a new coupe; and (2) whether, even if Acura management wanted to build a coupe, it would focus those dollars on building an Integra coupe (as opposed to a new coupe model).

As a person who totally does not understand the fascination with coupes (other than on dedicated sports cars), it is patently obvious to me why Acura decided not to develop an Integra coupe. But different strokes for different folks.

·
Registered
7,723 Posts
Maybe if they didn't handicap the Civic Si Coupe we'd have an Integra one.

Let's see, the Civic Si coupe had:
  1. USB slot exhaust
    1. Seriously why the hell couldn't they just put the exhaust from the Sport hatchback? You'd think a nice centered double tip exhaust would be fitting of the sportiest Civic in the lineup...
  2. Fixed wing (no option for delete whatsoever)
  3. Manual ONLY
Not sure what the hell they were thinking there but coming from the posterboy for emergency refreshes, expect more of this nonsensical decision making. My tinfoil hat theory is that they're purposely handicapping these cars under the guise of "hurr nobody will buy them so no $$ in it" so that they can axe them and use the money saved for further development in alternative fueled cars. Not that that's necessarily a bad thing, but I wish they'd just go out and say it rather than drag iconic nameplates through the mud.

·
Registered
2014 Mazda3 Sport 2.0 6MT / 2001 Mazda Miata 1.8 6MT
7,953 Posts

1. USB slot exhaust
    1. Seriously why the hell couldn't they just put the exhaust from the Sport hatchback? You'd think a nice centered double tip exhaust would be fitting of the sportiest Civic in the lineup...
  3. Manual ONLY
Not sure what the hell they were thinking there but coming from the posterboy for emergency refreshes, expect more of this nonsensical decision making. My tinfoil hat theory is that they're purposely handicapping these cars under the guise of "hurr nobody will buy them so no $$ in it" so that they can axe them and use the money saved for further development in alternative fueled cars. Not that that's necessarily a bad thing, but I wish they'd just go out and say it rather than drag iconic nameplates through the mud.
if someone wanted an automatic (CVT by the way) Civic Si, there was always the Civic Sport, which was automatic only. I'm very ok with the Si being manual only. But yeah the last gen Si had a few stylistic features I really didn't like (fake vents cough cough).

also, someone correct me, but every combination of engine/transmission/bodystyle needs to be individually certified, and therefor $$$$. If it's just a trim (not affecting crash safety or emissions) there is no additional $$$, which is why they keep certain transmission/engine options out of certain bodystyles. Anyway, not 100% sure about that as I've never found anything that clearly stated that. But I've always wondered how in hell North America didn't get drivetrain/bodystyle options for particular cars if they were being manufactured for other markets.

·
Registered
10,321 Posts
if someone wanted an automatic (CVT by the way) Civic Si, there was always the Civic Sport, which was automatic only. I'm very ok with the Si being manual only. But yeah the last gen Si had a few stylistic features I really didn't like (fake vents cough cough).

also, someone correct me, but every combination of engine/transmission/bodystyle needs to be individually certified, and therefor $$$$. If it's just a trim (not affecting crash safety or emissions) there is no additional $$$, which is why they keep certain transmission/engine options out of certain bodystyles. Anyway, not 100% sure about that as I've never found anything that clearly stated that. But I've always wondered how in hell North America didn't get drivetrain/bodystyle options for particular cars if they were being manufactured for other markets.

It's market specific product mix. What they buy in Europe doesn't always translate into what sells in the US.

For Acura and Volkswagen it's a simple matter of sells numbers, not enough people opted for two door cars for the Civic and Golf in the US, the trend is clearly away from that type of vehicle. Honda stopped selling the two door Civic for 2022 for that reason.

Just because people buy Mustangs and Minis, that doesn't negate the fact that not enough people bought the two door Civic. They built it, people didn't come.

Acura wants volume with this Integra model and the five door will have a bigger audience. For Acura, if you can only have one type initially, you go for the volume player.

·
Registered
7,723 Posts
It's market specific product mix. What they buy in Europe doesn't always translate into what sells in the US.

For Acura and Volkswagen it's a simple matter of sells numbers, not enough people opted for two door cars for the Civic and Golf in the US, the trend is clearly away from that type of vehicle. Honda stopped selling the two door Civic for 2022 for that reason.

Just because people buy Mustangs and Minis, that doesn't negate the fact that not enough people bought the two door Civic. They built it, people didn't come.

Acura wants volume with this Integra model and the five door will have a bigger audience. For Acura, if you can only have one type initially, you go for the volume player.
Yea, they built it and handicapped it which is precisely why people didn't buy in the first place. Setting aside transmission, the USB style exhaust and fixed wing with no delete option is absolutely more than enough to drive away thousands of potential buyers. It was another stupid (seemingly) decision on Honda's part. I'm pushing my tinfoil hat theory because I refuse to believe they're that out of touch with reality thinking they'd sell a 2 door car (already niche to begin with) with those terrible options.

·
Registered
1994 E320, 2020 Odyssey
1,734 Posts

1. USB slot exhaust
  3. Manual ONLY
All of those are features of the Civic Si sedan too. Are they a handicap there as well? I don’t understand what you’re getting at. And I’m sorry, would you really not buy a car because of the exhaust tip??? If that’s how picky you are, I’m not sure you’d be happy with anything on the market. Previous Si, coupe or sedan, didn’t have a spoiler delete option either…

·
Registered
7,723 Posts
All of those are features of the Civic Si sedan too. Are they a handicap there as well? I don’t understand what you’re getting at. And I’m sorry, would you really not buy a car because of the exhaust tip??? If that’s how picky you are, I’m not sure you’d be happy with anything on the market. Previous Si, coupe or sedan, didn’t have a spoiler delete option either…
The sedan had the benefit of being a 4 door, always way more desirable than a 2-door by default. This has always been the case. Yea, I truly believe the wing was a big reason why a lot of people didn't buy it and the exhaust tip was made fun of although I do agree with you that's less of a deal breaker.

Point being they were still dumb decisions. Why didn't they add in the aggressive dual tip center exhaust from the Sport? That makes the most sense and would've made the SI a lot more appealing. Why didn't they allow the option for a wing delete? It was gaudy, completely ricer and hot wheels. Nobody wanted it. People are people, what isn't a deal breaker for you will absolutely be a deal breaker for someone else.

·
Registered
370 Posts
Honda is totally ignoring that the fact that the previous SI coupe looked like a Transformer with Downs. Perhaps that's the reason no one wanted them.

At least the 4 door offers a usable back seat to store the paper bag when it's night and you don't need to worry being seen in one.

·
Registered
10,321 Posts
The sedan had the benefit of being a 4 door, always way more desirable than a 2-door by default. This has always been the case. Yea, I truly believe the wing was a big reason why a lot of people didn't buy it and the exhaust tip was made fun of although I do agree with you that's less of a deal breaker.

Point being they were still dumb decisions. Why didn't they add in the aggressive dual tip center exhaust from the Sport? That makes the most sense and would've made the SI a lot more appealing. Why didn't they allow the option for a wing delete? It was gaudy, completely ricer and hot wheels. Nobody wanted it. People are people, what isn't a deal breaker for you will absolutely be a deal breaker for someone else.
"The sedan had the benefit of being a 4 door, always way more desirable than a 2-door by default"

Your first sentence states quite plainly the reason Acura made the Integra a five door.

It's that simple.

·
Registered
10,321 Posts
Yes, but we're talking about why a coupe wasn't made. Where are you getting lost?
You missed the memo, Acura plainly stated why they didn't make a coupe and it's for the reason in your first sentence:

We were trying the hardest to the very end with the manual Civic Si Coupe, and if we had that car [as a base], maybe we could have thought about something else, too. But the more you do things that aren't there, the more it gets out of the zone of what people can afford."

The Civic coupe was discontinued for the car's 11th-generation likely due to low sales of the previous two-door. The new Integra is based on the Civic—as is the case with all previous Integras—and that limits what Acura can do with this one. Ikeda is saying an Integra coupe is possible without a two-door Civic to base it on, but it'd be quite expensive. Given that consumers have widely abandoned coupes, an expensive Integra three-door would quite obviously be a losing proposition.

"I really believe the fact that we stuck with the hatch and the versatility that it brings is... we might be able to get a little bit more than just what the segment is putting out right now," Ikeda said. "We need to be able to reach with this car beyond our segment."

If you're doubting the Integra's credentials, Ikeda points out that at the heart of every Integra is a great Civic, which Honda has now. He also tells us that the car's chief engineer owned two older Integras. "I said, 'Why did you buy an Integra?' Ikeda recalled. "He said, 'It was a very cool car and I was young and I was excited.' I said, 'Well, you know all the ingredients already. Just make that, because that's what it is.'"

www.google.com

Why the New Acura Integra Had to Be a Five-Door

·
Registered
10,321 Posts
Exactly, low sales from the 2 door SI due to the fact that they sabotaged it.
Acura said from the outset that they wanted this Integra to be a volume model.

No amount of goodies would have saved the Civic copue, it's a dwindling segment. They sold plenty of sedans.

Be happy the Integra will have a manual, a gas engine and isn't a CUV (which they will release a CUV with that name in the future I will gladly bet).

·
Registered
2018 Accord Sport 2.0T 6MT / 1994 Miata
1,977 Posts
Exactly, low sales from the 2 door SI due to the fact that they sabotaged it.
You think it didn’t sell because they sabotaged it; I think the 10th gen coupe was by far the best body style of that generation.

That said I truly have no idea why anyone would buy a FWD coupe when a practical Sedan/hatchback exists… and especially now that the GR86 and BRZ are available.

·
Registered
10,321 Posts
Yeah, I think it's a case of looking at Coupe sells with rose covered glasses. The take for them was small and Acura wants volume;

The company cites slow sales as the reason for dropping this body style: while the current, tenth-generation Civic coupe made up around 16 percent of sales when it debuted in 2016, it now represents just 6 percent of the mix, according to Honda. Meanwhile, the Civic hatchback has grown in sales during that time, currently making up around 24 percent of Civic sales.

·
Registered
19,310 Posts
You think it didn’t sell because they sabotaged it; I think the 10th gen coupe was by far the best body style of that generation.

That said I truly have no idea why anyone would buy a FWD coupe when a practical Sedan/hatchback exists… and especially now that the GR86 and BRZ are available.
I am a fan of the styling of the last generation Civic Si, even with all the excessive styling details. The overall shape is likeable. First one I liked since my 1999 Civic SiR. It should have been a hatchback, though, since the access to the trunk ended up being a mail slot.

Have any interior shots of the new ILX been released? Interesting that they're keeping that under wraps.

·
Registered
7,723 Posts

I never said it was ugly. I agree with you, it's one of the best designed Si coupes to date imo. I didn't buy it though. Why? For me, it was the wing and exhaust tips. The wing ruined the entire look for me, and the USB slot exhaust was the icing on the cake. I know several people who overlooked this and went to the GTI (not a direct comparison obvi but still cross shopped) soley because of the wing. Anecdotal? Absolutely, but valid.

I went with the Sport Hatchback and am really happy with it. It's still a bit gaudy in the rear for me but at least it flows with the rest of the car. The entire hatchback is kinda quirky which I like. The coupe made no sense with that wing. Sleek, elegant then bam, massive ricer wing for no reason whatsoever that you can't remove even though the regular coupe had no wing. This is precisely the kind of stupid decision making that Honda keeps repeating and the only reason I can think of is they're purposely doing it. Or they're just that out of touch, not a surprise from Honda.

1341 - 1360 of 1546 Posts