VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 45 Posts

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I would love to see Audi do something like this for the upcoming MkIII Audi TT!

Absolutely beautiful with performance through light weight - just like Lotus!

A few basic specs:

• 240 horsepower turbocharged 1.75-liter four-cylinder engine

• curb weight of 2100 pounds

• 0-60 in 4.5 seconds

·
Registered
484 Posts
It is a spectacular car. However, if the MK3 is to compete with that it would likely not be priced anywhere close to the MK2. That's a market share drop. This would also pit it against the Cayman. Surely the mother ship wouldn't want two siblings fighting for the same corner of the playground.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Although I like to reserve judgement on a car until I see it in person, this car is ugly in pictures. It seems that the latest trend in automotive design is lots of creases and buldges which makes the cars look like as if they were dried in the drier and taken out days later.

What happened to smooth flowing lines? :confused:

·
Registered
577 Posts
Oh, and Porsche called. They want their 1986 phone dial wheels back. Not a fan! I am also not a fan of buzzy, strung out four cylinder engines.

·
Registered
2020 Porsche 911 Carrera S, 2017 Jaguar F-Pace, 2012 Audi TT RS
1,335 Posts
Lotus competitor. Nowhere near what a TT should be.

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
Pushing $90K for that puts it in a tough crowd.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Lotus competitor. Nowhere near what a TT should be.
"should be" - if only the next TT could be!

I love Audi (and especially my TT-RS) but when it comes to handling and performance (through light weight), they could learn a lot from Lotus - it's not the other way around.

The next TT should strive to be something close to this.

·
Registered
369 Posts
I think it's going to be closer to $60K - it should be finalized shortly - it's about to debut at the Geneva show!
Yup they even talked about it being in the $50k bracket.

I love the exterior but the recent interior picture leaves much to be desired. Hopefully the ones that come out of Geneva look much better. It will just be nice to have an Alfa on this side of the pond.

·
Registered
484 Posts

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
I think it's going to be closer to $60K - it should be finalized shortly - it's about to debut at the Geneva show!
That sounds more like it. C&D pegged it at $86 base, that's what I was citing.:screwy:

·
Registered
2020 Porsche 911 Carrera S, 2017 Jaguar F-Pace, 2012 Audi TT RS
1,335 Posts
"should be" - if only the next TT could be!

I love Audi (and especially my TT-RS) but when it comes to handling and performance (through light weight), they could learn a lot from Lotus - it's not the other way around.

The next TT should strive to be something close to this.
I agree with your 2nd sentence completely, just not the 1st or 3rd. I would love to see a TT closer to 3000lbs, but it'll never get near 2100lbs. It just wouldn't be the same kind of car. But it would help to have a better weight distribution, and more neutral handling...some advice from Lotus could be helpful there.

And I was commenting mostly on the pictures. I would never want a TT to look anything close to that.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I have never driven a Lotus so I am speaking strictly from a data analysis standpoint here.

The only Lotus to beat the TT RS around the track at Virginia for C&D's lightning lap was the Exige S and that is pushing 345hp with under 2400 lbs. It was only .3 seconds faster on a 3 minute lap. So, at 6.95 lbs per hp it was .3 seconds faster on a 3 minute lap than the RS at 9.17 lbs per hp.

The TTS was .1 slower than the Evora.

So, I wouldn't say Lotus is exactly crushing the TT in terms of lap times.

They didnt track a base TT.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
The only Lotus to beat the TT RS around the track at Virginia for C&D's lightning lap was the Exige S and that is pushing 345hp with under 2400 lbs. It was only .3 seconds faster on a 3 minute lap. So, at 6.95 lbs per hp it was .3 seconds faster on a 3 minute lap than the RS at 9.17 lbs per hp.
I think you've mixed the stats up. I don't think the new Exige with the blown V6 (345hp) has ever run in the lighting lap as it was just released and is not available in the US.

The Exige 260 did run a 3:05 which is 3/10 quicker than the TTRS but that car has just 260 hp so a massive power deficit to the TTRS. The Evora S, with 345hp and similar weight to a TTRS is 0.5 second slower.

3:04.8 TTRS
3:05.3 Evora S
3:05 Exige 260

The new Exige with 345hp would be an absolute monster in the Lightning Lap.

·
Registered
280 Posts
I think you've mixed the stats up. I don't think the new Exige with the blown V6 (345hp) has ever run in the lighting lap as it was just released and is not available in the US.

The Exige 260 did run a 3:05 which is 3/10 quicker than the TTRS but that car has just 260 hp so a massive power deficit to the TTRS. The Evora S, with 345hp and similar weight to a TTRS is 0.5 second slower.

3:04.8 TTRS
3:05.3 Evora S
3:05 Exige 260

The new Exige with 345hp would be an absolute monster in the Lightning Lap.
you would be correct. but at 2004 pounds thats still 7.71 lbs per hp which is better than the RS.

·
Registered
1,802 Posts
you would be correct. but at 2004 pounds thats still 7.71 lbs per hp which is better than the RS.
Only stats I can find for Exige V6 vs Exige 260 are reports from Lotus that put the new car 5 seconds a lap faster around Hethel which is just a 1:30 per lap track. The new car is wicked fast.

·
Registered
428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Alfa Romeo 4C Launch Edition Headlights Totally Wrong!!

Look at the headlights on the pictures shown above - beautiful!

The model pictures shown above where for the Alfa Romeo 4C concept.

Look at how wrong Alfa Romeo got the headlights on what they finally released! - the 4C Launch Edition. Damn! :eek:

1 - 20 of 45 Posts