VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
5,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Well, after months of waiting I finally got my short shifter from a group buy from Titan Motorsports(production delay), but Titan was cool to deal with. I installed it last Thursday and contrary to what the directions say, you don't have to drop the exhaust and heat sheilding. It was actually fairly easy except that we had to do it twice because we missed a set screw the first time around. The throws are most definitely shorter, B&M claims 28% reduction. What I like even more, though, is the fact that a lot of slop has been taken out of the stock shifter. Changing soft rubber bushings for solid aluminum will do that.
The shifter has a nice notchiness to it, kind of like older VWs with mechanical shift linkages. Gear grinding is a thing of the past, too, as the reduction in slop has gotten rid of that, even when speed shifting whilst accelerating. I have tried my hardest to see if it will grind and have yet to do it. This is a very good thing, though. I highly recommend this shifter to anyone, the only downside is that you have to use the aluminum knob that it comes with if that isn't your thing. I am going to try getting a reverse lockout knob to replace mine, though, because I would prefer to have a leather shift knob, myself. Throws are very positive, though, and I think it is a very good tradeoff for the newfound shifter action. Summer is going to be bad, though, aluminum knobs in Houston on a 100+ degree day are not fun to touch. Here is a pic of it installed in my car.

The web address for titan is http://www.titanmotorsports.com , the shifter is available for $160 through them, which is the cheapest I've seen.

·
Registered
1,028 Posts
Re: New B&M Short Shifter Review (houstonspeedfreek)

Lookin great. Love the shifter. Dead pedal is DAMN cool as well. Not as good looking as coolgril in low-rise jeans, but nice looking none the less.

·
Registered
5,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: New B&M Short Shifter Review (essemm)

quote:[HR][/HR]Lookin great. Love the shifter. Dead pedal is DAMN cool as well. Not as good looking as coolgril in low-rise jeans, but nice looking none the less.[HR][/HR]​
Yeah, I don't think my girl would be up to posing with my car either, not like I'd post those picks here anyway.

[Modified by houstonspeedfreek, 1:50 PM 11-12-2001]

·
Registered
5,123 Posts

I wonder if you can buy just the bushings by themselves. I already have a NS Short Shifter but I would like to remove some of the slop in the shifter.

·
Registered
5,757 Posts

houstonspeedfreak,
I was looking through some of your other albums and found this pic. Do you know what kind of rims these are?

·
Registered
10,725 Posts
Re: New B&M Short Shifter Review (itr_hybrid)

quote:[HR][/HR]houstonspeedfreak,
I was looking through some of your other albums and found this pic. Do you know what kind of rims these are?
[HR][/HR]​
those are japanese WORK rims....dunno which model tho.
they look the best on a skyline GTR.

·
Banned
1,560 Posts

So that fits the Jetta and Bettle only? I guess the Golf and Jetta differ in the shifting linkage?
Did that shift knob and boot come with the shifter, if not what brand are they?

·
Registered
5,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Re: New B&M Short Shifter Review (Jeff Andrews)

To answer questions.
Shifter is only available as a kit, the bushings wouldn't work with the stock shifter as they are an integral part of the shifter, your SOL there.
Yeah, those wheels are Ace wheels, that car is now totalled, though. Dudes went on a late night munchy run on the NOPI tour. Car didn't fare to well off road.
I imagine this also fits the Golfs and GTIs seeing that mechanically they are all the same and it is listed in the instructions. This will even work on A3s and TTs.
Shift knob came with the shifter it is made by B&M. The boot is the stock boot.
I paid $140 for the shifter on a group buy from way back. You can now get it for $160 from http://www.titanmotorsports.com . Other places sell it for $250.
This is what the whole package looks like.

·
Registered
5,757 Posts
Re: New B&M Short Shifter Review (Elbows)

quote:[HR][/HR]check out this sponsor ACE alloy wheels...the website is on the car,
acealloywheel.com
try that out, most likely?
[HR][/HR]​
I did try the site and it would not show me any wheels. All it did was load the flash window and noting else.
James

·
Registered
7,250 Posts
Re: New B&M Short Shifter Review (BoraJetta)

haha. She's nice, but if I saw anybody on my hood I'd pound them with a bat. My MKIII got walked on one night. You should have seen the dents in the hood. Bastards kicked one of the doors too. wtf.

·
Registered
5,582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Re: New B&M Short Shifter Review (Arin)

Yeah, but Zerin was lovin' every minute of that.
I even got her to pose on my hood. I figure, hey, just the more reason for me to go buy a carbon fiber hood.

·
Banned
1,560 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]
I imagine this also fits the Golfs and GTIs seeing that mechanically they are all the same and it is listed in the instructions. This will even work on A3s and TTs.
Shift knob came with the shifter it is made by B&M. The boot is the stock boot.[HR][/HR]​
So it mentioned MKIV Golf's in the instructions. I thougth they were all the same as well.
The boot is stock but what about the shinny chrome trim ring???

·
Registered
2,036 Posts

Wait, so 160 for the knob and the SS kit?? That's pretty good.
Hey, whats with the chrome ring around the base of the shifter? Who makes that? Me likey.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.