VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
7,721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Actually a first time Passat owner too!

For the past year, I've been trying to restore an MK3 Golf dubbed Project "Freebie" and rebuilding a VR6 to swap into it. During that time my wife and I had our third child. I thought long and hard about the Golf and decided I needed something bigger for my growing family.

So during my search I came across this beauty, a 1994 B3 GLX Wagon, I call it "Project Swaggy".

The previous owner said it has two major problems, it has an oil and/or water leak and the brake pedal is hard as a rock!

So today I added distilled water and started the car. Found it leaking out of the water pump. Luckily I had a new water pump and installed it today.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Awesome! I just picked up a B3 as well this past week.

That brake pedal issue will likely end up with a new master cylinder. Its not a vacuum operated booster like you'd think...

I like those wheels on that thing!

·
Registered
7,721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
So I checked the car this morning and found the coolant bottle empty, but no puddle underneath. Started it and saw white smoke coming from the exhaust. Checked the oil and it didn't look milky. So I'm guessing I have something wrong within the head. Anyone can confirm and add to my diagnosis?

Awesome! I just picked up a B3 as well this past week.

That brake pedal issue will likely end up with a new master cylinder. Its not a vacuum operated booster like you'd think...

I like those wheels on that thing!
Yeah I saw your post, you scored!!! As for the ABS, I have another booster so I might go the non-ABS route.

Very nice, my wife said she wouldn't mind if we had a wagon.
Thanks, they definitely comes in handy!

·
Registered
5,338 Posts
I would say the headgasket has disintegrated between a water channel or two and the cylinder causing no oil contamination but burning coolant. Also, when you refilled the system after the water pump change was the system fully filled? Could be just that the air in the system went in the bottle and the coolant in the system. Might just not be enough coolant due to air pockets that have worked their way out. Also, white on startup is normal. White after warmed up is no good.

·
Registered
7,721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I would say the headgasket has disintegrated between a water channel or two and the cylinder causing no oil contamination but burning coolant. Also, when you refilled the system after the water pump change was the system fully filled? Could be just that the air in the system went in the bottle and the coolant in the system. Might just not be enough coolant due to air pockets that have worked their way out. Also, white on startup is normal. White after warmed up is no good.
Thanks for the reply! I did a gallon of G12 and a gallon of distilled water. The coolant mixture was up to the full line on the bottle. I'll warm up the motor and take note of white smoke again.

·
Registered
1,010 Posts
Yeah. I'd just fill it up and see if it still continues to go down. Sometimes after a large coolant service, there will be a huge air bubble that works itself out when it sits. If the bottle went completely empty, don't be surprised if it goes down again, because it sucked more air. A couple times of filling and sitting may be required.

·
Registered
336 Posts
keep up the good work sorry to see freebie fall under but always remember wagons are dope and white is a great color for than man do workkk :thumbup::thumbup:

·
Registered
7,721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Yeah. I'd just fill it up and see if it still continues to go down. Sometimes after a large coolant service, there will be a huge air bubble that works itself out when it sits. If the bottle went completely empty, don't be surprised if it goes down again, because it sucked more air. A couple times of filling and sitting may be required.
OK added another gallon and still the bottle goes empty and it's not overnight kind of empty. Checked the oil and this time I could see it milking up. Also, when I opened the oil cap, it looked like smoke was coming out, but it felt like steam. It was very moist.

So since I've been rebuilding a VR for the past year. I've decided to swap in the long block and rebuild the one currently in Swaggy.

Before:

During:

After:

·
Registered
7,721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
keep up the good work sorry to see freebie fall under but always remember wagons are dope and white is a great color for than man do workkk :thumbup::thumbup:
Thanks dubster! As soon as the Golf is gone, I will have the space to get the long block swapped. Can't wait! :D

·
Registered
7,721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Last week I mounted the stockers to get the summer rollers refinished.

Installed the driver side GTi seat. Kinda like the two tone interior, but hopefully get it all black.

Went to the local pick and pull. Found a couple parts I needed. Unfortunately I broke the mirror trying to install it. :(

Yesterday I picked up the summer rollers from being refinished.

·
Registered
7,721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
^ Wow, those came out really good! :thumbup:
Thanks! Pictures don't do it justice at all!

Nice work on the wagon so far, I was wondering what those ebay cross bars would look like :thumbup:
Thanks, the real work is swapping in my first rebuilt motor. Yeah the cross bars aren't that bad actually.

·
Registered
7,721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 · (Edited)
A week ago, plan "B" was to just replace the head gasket and put the head back on, but after cleaning the top of the block, I noticed the crack.

So back to plan "A", continue on with my rebuilt motor. Over the weekend I finally torqued down the head(wow what a workout!), mounted the accessory bracket, installed the cooling and oil system.

·
Registered
7,721 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I wanted to get it done before Wuste, but my last parts order didn't come in soon enough, oh well. :eek:

Well after 2 years, I can finally say I'm finished with rebuilding my motor.

I'm getting there... in this pic, the tranny and bad block are ready to be pulled.

Couple more weekends and hopefully it lives again!

1 - 20 of 30 Posts