VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
4,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Darn that’s unfortunate are you postponing the trip?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
It’s back on. Trip is work related so I’d be taking my gas guzzling Tacoma if the Audi didn’t work out.

I popped the hood from underneath and found the torx screwdriver I had used earlier laying on the inner fender. I guess it was enough restriction to not allow the hood to pop easily. I reinstalled the cable end and tried it many times and it works as should now.

Wired the radio with fused constant and accessory power. Wired the amplified antenna booster as well as rear OEM amp. Amp is now intermittent. Front speakers work fine and will do for now. Ran a fused hot and ground from one of the big junctions in the footwell to a little spare CB I keep. I usually lay it on my backpack on the passenger side. Comes in handy and if America decides to have a ‘Freedom Convoy’ at least I’ll be somewhat privy to its happenings real time.

I had bought a gallon of Dawns soap to take with me. Sometime yesterday it fell over and the lid popped open. Literally half a gallon of this poured down the driver side over the widow maker box and down into the spare tire well. Holy hell is this hard to clean up proper. I have removed the carpet way back when I originally got the car and installed some 1/4” diamond plate rubber mat I also jacked from work. Glad I do or I’d have a quart of soap soaked into the carpet now.

Reactions: Darepoole

·
Registered
1999 Audi A4 Stroker Build in Progress S200SXE, Custom Megasquirt ECU, ABA Forged Crank and more
1,282 Posts
It’s back on. Trip is work related so I’d be taking my gas guzzling Tacoma if the Audi didn’t work out.

I popped the hood from underneath and found the torx screwdriver I had used earlier laying on the inner fender. I guess it was enough restriction to not allow the hood to pop easily. I reinstalled the cable end and tried it many times and it works as should now.

Wired the radio with fused constant and accessory power. Wired the amplified antenna booster as well as rear OEM amp. Amp is now intermittent. Front speakers work fine and will do for now. Ran a fused hot and ground from one of the big junctions in the footwell to a little spare CB I keep. I usually lay it on my backpack on the passenger side. Comes in handy and if America decides to have a ‘Freedom Convoy’ at least I’ll be somewhat privy to its happenings real time.

I had bought a gallon of Dawns soap to take with me. Sometime yesterday it fell over and the lid popped open. Literally half a gallon of this poured down the driver side over the widow maker box and down into the spare tire well. Holy hell is this hard to clean up proper. I have removed the carpet way back when I originally got the car and installed some 1/4” diamond plate rubber mat I also jacked from work. Glad I do or I’d have a quart of soap soaked into the carpet now.
That’s good news. As for the soap though that sucks I’m sure that was a total pain. I guess your spare tire well is clean now which is nice

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

·
Registered
4,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
I took the bathroom scales out to the garage and actually weighed all my gear before loading out. 405# from the backseat to the hatch. Full tank of unleaded. Seems like a lot but really it is equivalent to a couple of Americans riding with me. I do have about 75# more on the passenger side.

Unladen
FL 13 5/8
RL 14 3/4
FR 13 1/2
RR 14 3/4

Loaded
FL 13 3/8
RL 14 1/2
FR 13 3/8
RR 14.0

·
Registered
4,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #24 ·
So I made the 1600 mile round trip and the car did well. Determined my rear o2 sensor heater is faulty and that's why it keeps throwing heater codes and going into limp mode. I unplugged it, clear that fault at warmup, and it runs fine with good fuel trims. Every now and then it will show a rich bank 1 but I have yet to determine what causes it driving style wise. I average 60+mph for the trip from driveway to driveway and netted 22.4mpg on paper and calculator. Dash readout was 24.x. Fuel savings vs my Tacoma on 33s was 43 gallons. That's parts money with today's gas prices.

I didn't get the radio squared away before the trip and was stuck with the driver door speaker and center dash. Not what I am accustomed to having by a long shot but wasn't as bad as I had expected. I hard wired the front door speakers yesterday and holy hell was it a PITA. These cars are not designed for that. Sound quality improved 300%. Now to sort the rear OEM amp and I'll have rear speakers and a baby sub.

Changed the oil as well for the first time since getting the car and installing the head. Sadly, there is lots of gold in the pan and even some small pieces of what looks like rod or crank bearing maybe. I also cracked the oil pan on a massive dirt road dirt speed bump. I left with oil just under the full mark and halfway home I got a light for low oil. Pulled over at the next exit with a truck stop and added one quart of synthetic which got me to about 1/2 on the hash mark. Now the engine refresh has been bumped to up due to this and the rising gas prices so now I'll be collecting bits and pieces ASAP.

·
Registered
4,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
Got the OEM amp, rear door speakers, and baby sub working. I need to mess with the preamp output setting but the little sub hits and the rear speakers do, too. Hardly any highs through the door speakers but sound is a lot nicer. That little sub surprised me.

·
Registered
4,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #29 · (Edited)
Oil pan, rod bearings, 240mm (r)s4 SMF, throw out bearing, head bolts, head gasket are ordered. Going to refresh the AWP motor from GLI and swap it in hopefully using the o2m DKM MB pressure plate and clutch since I can’t sell it. Will have the o2m trans and new DKM SMF up for sale maybe once motor is pulled. I’ll have to redo the thermostat housing to make the AWP work and delete/fool the electronic housing. Probably start in a week or so when free time arrives.

Once it’s going and funds catch up I’ll do a return fuel line with GLI fuel rail and get some programming for the Holset to work. Just run the k03 until then.

·
Registered
1999 Audi A4 Stroker Build in Progress S200SXE, Custom Megasquirt ECU, ABA Forged Crank and more
1,282 Posts
Oil pan, rod bearings, 240mm (r)s4 SMF, throw out bearing, head bolts, head gasket are ordered. Going to refresh the AWP motor from GLI and swap it in hopefully using the o2m DKM MB pressure plate and clutch since I can’t sell it. Will have the o2m trans and new DKM SMF up for sale maybe once motor is pulled. I’ll have to redo the thermostat housing to make the AWP work and delete/fool the electronic housing. Probably start in a week or so when free time arrives.

Once it’s going and funds catch up I’ll do a return fuel line with GLI fuel rail and get some programming for the Holset to work. Just run the k03 until then.
Good stuff looking forward to another update

·
Registered
4,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
Small update and some setbacks.

Front brakes were toast along with the rotors. I was getting some steering wheel wobble under mild to heavy braking so I ordered up some parts. Having ran Detroit Axle drilled and slotted on my 1st Tacoma with success I put some of them on our GX470. Both have worked flawlessly. So I went with a set for the Audi and used some Bosch QuietCast pads. Install was a snap.

I also flushed all the fluid for new DOT4 and ended up getting air into the rear passenger line as this was the first I flushed. I thought I had gotten all the air out but didn’t. Brakes bite good but the peddle to the floor almost. So I rigged up some 1/4” poly from the caliper to the reservoir. Attached the poly to the bleeder via a 3” long piece of 3/16” rubber hose. Pumped it back into itself until the air was gone. I did all corners this way but only that one had air in the line as suspected. Brakes back better than before and I may do the rears next time I rotate tires.

While I was at it I removed the 1” puck lift from the rear and it sits nearly dead on level.

Poly and rubber hose adaptor. Just tuck it under the wiper and snip off so it skeets into the reservoir. You can see the bubbles clear out as it passes by across the windshield.

·
Registered
4,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
I pulled compression on a warm motor out of curiosity and it was 95 on 1/3/4. #2 was 90. Seems odd to me that it would be this low even with an AWP head. The AMB head yielded ~170. This AWP head on my Jetta with 8.5:1 pistons was ~115 or so across all 4.

Any guesses as to what’s going on? Could head gasket cause that much drop? Cams should be the same I would think.

·
Registered
4,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
Update on the RA4 flywheel. The DKM MB parts won’t work. Clutch plate would but pressure plate will not. I had saved a webpage as a potential backup using a B7RS4 clutch kit on the B5S4 flywheel. Both are 240mm and both bolt up. The B7RS4 pressure plate guide pin holes are smaller so I drilled them out. The step is 2mm taller according to the internet and I would either need to have the flywheel friction face machined down and or space the pressure plate. Both have been done with reported success.

I placed an Amazon Prime order for $200 for a Luk 02-050. These are rumored to hold as much as the DKM MB kit at around 400/400. It arrived and looked the same as the others online had posted. This morning I got to Tractor Supply with my calipers in search of m8 bolts and potential 2mm shims/spacers. I root through the washer bins and find some 5/16” lock washers that are exactly 2mm.

Come home, reset the SAC according to YouTube, and bolt it to the flywheel with my split lock washers. Stick the entire assembled assembly in my press and it makes 2 clicks as per YouTube and a couple of online DIY sources.

So I’m a little bit stoked about that. Hoping it can hold the purported 400/400 and for only the $400 I have spent.

·
Registered
4,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Ordered this t3 manifold off fleaBay out of Poland. $150 gamble accepted. Now the 2-3 week wait.

·
Registered
4,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #38 ·
Getting there. Wonder if life smokes after fükin me out of my plans. Anywho, got the donor block pulled and o2m dropped off. DMFW has some wobble to it. I’ve got it mounted onto the engine stand using old head bolts because I’ve used and/or lost the bolts I used once before. Gonna head to Tractor Supply in the morning for new bolts or at least some form of spacers/standoffs/washers. Likely washers since they’re sold by the pound.

·
Registered
4,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #39 ·
Block on my stand in the garage. Stripped the oil pan, all mounts, and DMFW which was flopping. Oil pick up was nice and clean. Top of block has some surface rust forming and the cylinder bores has a little bit of rust that wiped off with an oily rag. Not bad considering it sat without a head for months but I did oil it down with gear oil. Tomorrow I think I’ll pull the rods and pistons and have a look see then hone a nice double helix.

·
Registered
4,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 ·
Jetta block is out. Holding hope the Audi block is OK.

Nice vertical marring and horizontal scarring is fairly deep.

Honed it aggressively and the pitting is deeper than expected. Needs a trip to a machine shop.

21 - 40 of 40 Posts