VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Beetle owners -
My mother is considering purchasing a Beetle with a TDI engine this summer. She will use it primarily for in town driving.
What do you think about the TDI engine?
Does anyone know if head curtain air bags will be added in the '04 model?
Any other issues she should be aware of? (As a '98 Passat owner, I have already given her the "joy of driving" vs. "flawless reliability" talk....)
Thanks for your help!

·
Registered
818 Posts
Re: New Beetle TDI for my mom? (lew)

Last September I purchased a 2003 TDI Beetle.
I am unhappy of the milage that I get compared to the 2001 TDI Jetta that I owned. I know I get better milage than my friends with gas engines but I would still like to get more.
I wouldn't even consider a gas engine even with my milage issues.
I think your wife would be happy with a TDI Beetle, I know I am.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Re: New Beetle TDI for my mom? (wurstchen)

I have a TDI Jetta that is an auto and the mileage isn't that great. There are some gas engine with good performance that get the same or better mileage.
On the other hand my wife has a NB TDI tht is a manual and gets very good mileage. She now has 39k on it and gets right at 48mpg in town so that is nothing to sneeze at. For any other questions about the TDI and more info I would recommend Fred's. http://www.tdiclub.com

·
Registered
1,942 Posts

It's an interesting engine, but suggest you take a look at the overall purchase price and increased maintenance cost for the TDI vs the fuel savings here in the US. Doesn't VW still recommend changing the timing belt on the TDI at 40K? A friend of mine had his done recently at 40K checkup time and found the $500 ate up the annual fuel savings for him.
Unless she's driving a lot of miles, or gas suddenly jumps to $3.50 a gallon, the fuel savings for the TDI may not be enough to justify the $2K? price difference.
Dan

·
Registered
34,109 Posts
Re: New Beetle TDI for my mom? (dhk)

Quote, originally posted by dhk »
It's an interesting engine, but suggest you take a look at the overall purchase price and increased maintenance cost for the TDI vs the fuel savings here in the US. Doesn't VW still recommend changing the timing belt on the TDI at 40K? A friend of mine had his done recently at 40K checkup time and found the $500 ate up the annual fuel savings for him.
Unless she's driving a lot of miles, or gas suddenly jumps to $3.50 a gallon, the fuel savings for the TDI may not be enough to justify the $2K? price difference.
Dan

In 2002 it's 80k timing belt change with a revised belt and pulley

·
Registered
146 Posts
Re: New Beetle TDI for my mom? (converted_vw)

Didn't they go to the 100k belt in '03 on the manual? If I remember right they did.
BTW, as for increased manit. Understand that the oil changes are every 10k after 10k. THis means that the first one is at 5k then the second one is at 10k and the third and so on is every 10k after that. With a gas engine you should be changing it every 3 to 5k so that does make a difference when you add up the cost there.
By all means I am not putting down the gas engine (have been looking at a 1.8t Passat myself) but it really isn't more expensive for maint. Even when diesel is more than premium (as it was here recently) the distance per tank for outweighed the higher cost of fuel. This is for the manual, though. The auto still gets good mileage to a degree but it really is a drawback compared to the manual.
On the other hand if your mother is the type of person to keep a car a really long time then the diesel should be considered.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Re: New Beetle TDI for my mom? (southtdi)

Quote, originally posted by southtdi »
I have a TDI Jetta that is an auto and the mileage isn't that great. There are some gas engine with good performance that get the same or better mileage.

My automatic TDI Jetta got atleast 200 km more a tank than my automatic TDI Beetle.

·
Registered
54 Posts

Hi,
I don't think a diesel is a good car for just going around town. Diesels are meant for the open road and for people who put a lot of miles on there car. Your mother would be better off with a gas beetle.

·
Registered
1,942 Posts
Re: New Beetle TDI for my mom? (converted_vw)

That's good to know, thanks. Still, unless someone is driving lots of miles, I don't see the cost-effectiveness of buying the diesel over the long run. Of course, if you just want the TDI for torque, or want to go 600 miles on the highway between fillups, then by all means get it and enjoy.
I also didn't want the smell and pollution factor of the diesel. But from what I read about the new gen of higher output VW euro-diesels and low-sulfur fuel coming to the US in the next couple of years, these issues may soon be overcome.
Dan

·
Registered
1,181 Posts

The TDI would be great for your mom.
It is lower maintenance (i.e., no spark plugs) and it's also great for city driving.
There are tons of TDIs in Europe doing primarily city driving.

·
Registered
7,706 Posts
Re: New Beetle TDI for my mom? (Der Meister)

The TDI also has a lots of low end torque for stop and go driving. You should consider the availability of diesel fuel in the area you plan to drive around before buying one.

·
Registered
146 Posts
Re: New Beetle TDI for my mom? (dhk)

Quote, originally posted by dhk »
I also didn't want the smell and pollution factor of the diesel. But from what I read about the new gen of higher output VW euro-diesels and low-sulfur fuel coming to the US in the next couple of years, these issues may soon be overcome.
Dan

The smell factor is nothing more than a minute or so in the morning at start up. After that the diesel has no smell out of the tailpipe. As for pollution it matters how you define it. What is better for the envirioment or what is better for you and me to breath. The latter is where the gas engines have problems while the enviromental part is where a TDI has it's faults. If you look at it over the life of a tank of fuel and not by the gallon (ie you go far farther on a tank of diesel than a tank of gas) then the diesel beats on both fronts.

·
Registered
818 Posts
Re: New Beetle TDI for my mom? (Der Meister)

Quote, originally posted by Der Meister »

It is lower maintenance (i.e., no spark plugs)

The maintenance and cost of the spark plugs is so minimal that it shouldn't make a difference in purchasing a car. And with that being said with a diesel engine there are glowplugs which also have minimal maintenance.
For everything that can go wrong in one engine there is pretty much the equivelant in the other to maintain.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.