VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Got my 16v brakes on today. I rebuilt the calipers. Brand new ATE rotors and Mintex pads. In the test run its making a noise. Kind of a high-piched scraping kinda noise that varies with engine speed. Almost sounds like something's rattling. Noise goes away when I apply the brakes. Couldn't really hear it going in reverse. I double checked and the wheels DO clear the calipers by about 1/2 inch. Any ideas what this could be.
I hope its just the new pads breaking in. I rebuilt the calipers VERY carefully, took my sweet time on them making sure I did them right. Was very straight-forward.

·
Registered
10,505 Posts
Re: New brakes making noise (Tjax)

changes with engine speed? or wheel speed. if it changes with engine speed, don't worry about the brakes.

·
Banned
984 Posts

Are those calipers supposed to have some kind of anti-rattle clips to hold the pads in one place? The pads could be moving around in there. I had a Miata that rattled when I drove around. THe noise went away when I hit the brakes. Something to check out...

·
Registered
4,297 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Re: New brakes making noise (HiJinx)

I meant wheel speed.
Sorry guys, problem solved. Backing plate rubbing on rotor. Little prybar action and away I go. Some day I will learn to double check EVEYTHING before posting.
On a brighter note... I can already tell the difference. Won't get the full effect till I get them broke in, but just with some gradual stops I noticed less pedal effort.

·
Banned
804 Posts
After them pads are broken in, remember to always fasten your seatbelt, keep loose objects off the rear shelf, warn motorists behind you about your intent to stop (I always double tap my brakes in traffic so they'll see the light) and finally make a dentist appointment to make sure any fillings are still secure.

·
Banned
804 Posts
Then there's something wrong. Hopefully you changed to SS lines and bled the system the way the holy bentley describes.
*admitting to you all*
I was pissed at first with my 10.1's but then I realized that you had to switch the calipers from side to side.
*signs off and walks away shamefully*

·
Registered
201 Posts
Re: (DCIFOX)

check and makeshure you didn't bend the splash-shield when you were doing your brake work , its easy to bend it to where it rubs on the disc , some types of pads just squeal , new or old , it depends on the metal content in the friction material , generally the more " performance " the pad is , the more noise it creates.

·
Registered
1,747 Posts
Re: (DCIFOX)

Switch them side to side how? There's only one way I could see them going on. Which way should the bleeders be pointing?

·
Registered
5,707 Posts
Re: (Evilclown)

The Sciroccos carry the calipers on the front of the rotors, and the Fox cariies them on the rear. Left caliper goes on the right side, and vice versa.

·
Banned
749 Posts

Same thing happened to me I was using ate rotors on stock rims. It was the dust shield that had to be bent. But you said it goes away when you apply the brakes.
This would create pressure on the pad to be slightly counterforced by the retaining clips which would stabilize the pad. Upon release the pad is offset (my
guess is that one of the clips has somewhat lost its elastic coefficient and is slightly weaker and as a result causes the pad to be slightly angled when no braking action
is applied.

Modified by FoxII at 4:11 PM 7-3-2003

·
Registered
1,389 Posts

Quote, originally posted by Tjax »
Sorry guys, problem solved. Backing plate rubbing on rotor.

You beat me to it. That was exactly what I was going to tell you to check. When I put mine together, I had to adjust the backing plates a little. My backing plates actually sometimes made a "honk" noise under low speeds during parking lot maneuvers.
"Live and learn, or live and don't learn," I say.

·
Registered
521 Posts
Re: New brakes making noise (TeraFox)

Another thing to remember is to replace all the clips and small hardware when you do a brake job. The small metal parts will become fatigued from the heat/cool cycle of even daily driving and should be replaced for the best performance. This is the cause of most brake noise. Worn out pad clips or pins can affect the allignment of the pads and cause vibration.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts