VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
  • Mwerks and Fourtitude have rejoined VWVortex. For more info, see this thread.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
3,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #21 (Edited)
Figured I'd report back with the solution on the off chance it helps someone else...

tl;dr: Outdated BIOS; turn off Intel C-State to update.

Full explanation. Received my replacement 9700k yesterday, put it in and was totally defeated when it locked up just like before. I was ready to throw in the towel and try to sell off the chip and buy a different one outright. Had everything put away and discovered there was one other guy out there in the interwebz with my exact problem (source). He updated his BIOS and all was right in the world. What threw me a month ago when I started all this was that i was unable to update the bios because, you guessed it, it would freeze before I could. It appears that even though the BIOS was discovering the processor, the microcode was showing as "N/A", maybe because the 9700k is relatively new. In order to update the BIOS, however, I had to disable Intel C-State which was the silver bullet to this whole thing. Disabled c-state and everything just worked. Updated the BIOS, the microcode was discovered, turned c-state back to auto, and everything still just worked. 5 minutes of actual work...

I dunno, I'm kicking myself for not trying harder to update the BIOS the first day and for going down a hardware black whole. I guess as long as you learn something, it's not a total waste. Anyway, just wanted to leave this here in case someone else runs into something similar.

·
Registered
'16 Golf R (wife's)
39,940 Posts
Wow, glad you got it sorted out. That was a bit of a doozy.

·
Registered
82,876 Posts
Yeah, glad you figured it out.
That must be why the i-5 worked.

-

We are so used to everything just being so plug and play today.
Upgrading my 1998 Cyrix PR200 PC was so much different.. freaking jumpers are the bane of my existence. :banghead:

·
Registered
3,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Live and learn! And yep, that's exactly why the i5 worked. The shipped BIOS version was actually a January 2019 release which made it even more surprising.

Oh I remember those days. I think my first build would have been in '93 or '94 in DOS. Jumpers and config.sys were tough. Stuff these days just works (or so I though). I think that's why this was such a blow to the ego :D

·
Registered
82,876 Posts
Live and learn! And yep, that's exactly why the i5 worked. The shipped BIOS version was actually a January 2019 release which made it even more surprising.

Oh I remember those days. I think my first build would have been in '93 or '94 in DOS. Jumpers and config.sys were tough. Stuff these days just works (or so I though). I think that's why this was such a blow to the ego :D
I've still got an entire box full of discs.. drivers, drivers, and drivers to all sorts of crap.
And probably several copies of Windows 95 and 98 (I took all them from the office when the were getting thrown out). :laugh:
pack-rat, I am.. sadly. :eek:
I did upgrade the Cyrix system to a pentium 3 iirc.
Hmm, I should find that system and see if I can get it to work again.
Might be fun to play the original Driver at 10 fps again.

·
Registered
5,649 Posts
It sucks you had to go through all that but you nailed it - 5 minutes of actual work and you're done. It's funny how true that is. Bet you'll never run into that issue again! Experience is funny thing.

·
Registered
3,138 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Live and learn for sure. I actually saved some other guy on a different message board from going down the exact same path so I feel somewhat better about the whole situation. Pay it forward and what not.

21 - 27 of 27 Posts