VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Unfortunately our new Jetta (only has 4K miles on it) was hit in the rear quarter area by an unobservant neighbor. It goes into the shop in 2 weeks. Not a fan of having cars repainted but we have no choice.

We chose Silk Blue Metallic because it is such a beautiful color and really pops in the sun, I can only hope the body shop is able to do a flawless job and match it. Have any of you had body work / paint work done and had it come out looking OEM?

Attachments

·
Registered
2001.5 Passat, 2004 Jetta TDI, 2010 Sportwagen TDI, 2014 Passat Wolfsburg, 2019 Jetta R-Line
67 Posts
Unfortunately our new Jetta (only has 4K miles on it) was hit in the rear quarter area by an unobservant neighbor. It goes into the shop in 2 weeks. Not a fan of having cars repainted but we have no choice.

We chose Silk Blue Metallic because it is such a beautiful color and really pops in the sun, I can only hope the body shop is able to do a flawless job and match it. Have any of you had body work / paint work done and had it come out looking OEM?
I’ve worked in a high end collision, custom car, restoration shop. YES, it can be done so that no one ever knew it was hit.
The solution is to find a autobody paint repair shop that does this high level work.
Do ask for references from those that have had work done, especially high end vehicles like Mercedes-Benz, Porsche, BMW, etc.
When my 2004 Jetta had the front bumper destroyed by hitting a retread road debris, I went to the shop that did all those expensive vehicles.
Flawless repair, perfect paint match.
DON’T let an insurance company tell you where to take the vehicle for repairs.
DO pick your own autobody repair shop.

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I’ve worked in a high end collision, custom car, restoration shop. YES, it can be done so that no one ever knew it was hit.
The solution is to find a autobody paint repair shop that does this high level work.
Do ask for references from those that have had work done, especially high end vehicles like Mercedes-Benz, Porsche, BMW, etc.
When my 2004 Jetta had the front bumper destroyed by hitting a retread road debris, I went to the shop that did all those expensive vehicles.
Flawless repair, perfect paint match.
DON’T let an insurance company tell you where to take the vehicle for repairs.
DO pick your own autobody repair shop.
I did search for some high end body shops but was left lacking. I called the local Audi dealer to see who they used and they use Gerber. I looked up the reviews and they were awful.

We did not go with the insurance's recommend shop, I chose the shop we will be using based on reviews. They also offer a lifetime warranty.

·
Registered
69 Posts
The newness of the car is in your favor. They won't be trying to match any paint fade. I'm sure you'll be happy.

Do you have the beige interior, too?

·
Registered
174 Posts
Agree with dejettatdi ... insurance will pay x dollars for the repair based on competitive rates that favor the insurance companies. You can go wherever you want ... but if more expensive, you pay the difference for the pleasure. I always look for a shop that caters to high-end and to exotics ... yes, will be 15-20% more than what insurance will cover, but will be perfect ... well worth avoiding the stress of looking at that section every day and wishing you had done something different.

·
Registered
2001.5 Passat, 2004 Jetta TDI, 2010 Sportwagen TDI, 2014 Passat Wolfsburg, 2019 Jetta R-Line
67 Posts
Agree with dejettatdi ... insurance will pay x dollars for the repair based on competitive rates that favor the insurance companies. You can go wherever you want ... but if more expensive, you pay the difference for the pleasure. I always look for a shop that caters to high-end and to exotics ... yes, will be 15-20% more than what insurance will cover, but will be perfect ... well worth avoiding the stress of looking at that section every day and wishing you had done something different.
My shop had a excellent ‘relationship’ with appraisers and managed to do well for the repair customer as well.
It’s a tricky business and you often have to play third world games to be profitable and survive.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Insurance Auto Damage Appraiser chiming in here...

To the points that several people made above: don't let anyone tell you or guide you on where to go. Do your research and find a higher-end shop that specializes in Volkswagens / Audis. Don't be afraid to ask shops to see some of their completed work; you would be amazed at what you see up close. (A repair may look perfect from ten feet away with good color match, but when you look up close and in the sun, the paint texture if completely off, and may contain significant dirt nibs / dust).

German cars especially tend to have heavy texture. A good repair facility will do their best to match this.

Stay FAR away from chain shops like Caliber, Gerber, etc. - their main motivation is production, and when pushing several cars through every week, quality tends to get overlooked.

The rear bumper cover needs to be replaced, but the quarter panel will likely be able to be pulled out. (Don't be intimidated by the damage to the quarter - they fold and crumple pretty easily on these Jettas).

Given the higher metallic the shop may want to blend the RT rear door (basically dusting some new paint into the panel to make a seamless-appearing finish) - this is normal.

My only concern would be a potential color match at the driver's side where the bumper cover meets the driver's quarter panel. Some will argue that given the different substrates (plastic vs. metal), there will always be a color difference; that said, I would push for them to allow extra "tint" time (more/less determining which variant is closest to your car's paint). Volkswagen does a pretty good job matching their bumper covers to their body panels, and there is minimal difference from the factory. Your car should be returned to you in the same way.

Good luck.

Reactions: 6MTGLI

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Insurance Auto Damage Appraiser chiming in here...

To the points that several people made above: don't let anyone tell you or guide you on where to go. Do your research and find a higher-end shop that specializes in Volkswagens / Audis. Don't be afraid to ask shops to see some of their completed work; you would be amazed at what you see up close. (A repair may look perfect from ten feet away with good color match, but when you look up close and in the sun, the paint texture if completely off, and may contain significant dirt nibs / dust).

German cars especially tend to have heavy texture. A good repair facility will do their best to match this.

Stay FAR away from chain shops like Caliber, Gerber, etc. - their main motivation is production, and when pushing several cars through every week, quality tends to get overlooked.

The rear bumper cover needs to be replaced, but the quarter panel will likely be able to be pulled out. (Don't be intimidated by the damage to the quarter - they fold and crumple pretty easily on these Jettas).

Given the higher metallic the shop may want to blend the RT rear door (basically dusting some new paint into the panel to make a seamless-appearing finish) - this is normal.

My only concern would be a potential color match at the driver's side where the bumper cover meets the driver's quarter panel. Some will argue that given the different substrates (plastic vs. metal), there will always be a color difference; that said, I would push for them to allow extra "tint" time (more/less determining which variant is closest to your car's paint). Volkswagen does a pretty good job matching their bumper covers to their body panels, and there is minimal difference from the factory. Your car should be returned to you in the same way.

Good luck.
I am taking it to a shop that has been in business for over 70 years and has good reviews. I did search for "high end" shops but had no luck so I think this shop will give me the best shop of the best paint finish.

Why do you say the bumper cover needs to be replaced? Both the insurance (cheapskates I know) and the shop said repair would be in order.

·
Registered
63 Posts
I am taking it to a shop that has been in business for over 70 years and has good reviews. I did search for "high end" shops but had no luck so I think this shop will give me the best shop of the best paint finish.

Why do you say the bumper cover needs to be replaced? Both the insurance (cheapskates I know) and the shop said repair would be in order.
It appears that at least one of the tabs is torn, and the body line is pretty well crushed. A good shop might be willing to repair, but I know many will usually ask for replacement in scenarios like this.

If they're capable of repairing properly, it is in your interest (as it will allow for better color match where the bumper cover meets the quarter panels).

·
Registered
14 Posts
Insurance appraiser here as well. It can definitely be fixed and I agree avoid the chain shops(caliber, fix auto, etc) as they are all about numbers. There are a few exceptions but most are just trying to push your car out asap.
I'm skeptical about trusting a shop simply based on having XXX number of reviews or "so and so said its really good", because not everyone knows exactly what to look for in a quality repair.
I think the one of the most important things when choosing a shop is talking to the estimator as they will usually be the one overlooking the repair process. You can tell a lot about a shop based on conversations with the estimator and I can generally tell if they know what they are talking about. You likely wont be able to talk to the tech, but thats fine. If you communicate to the estimator what you're looking for, they will generally relay that to the technician and make sure its done well before letting you know your car is ready

·
Registered
358 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Insurance appraiser here as well. It can definitely be fixed and I agree avoid the chain shops(caliber, fix auto, etc) as they are all about numbers. There are a few exceptions but most are just trying to push your car out asap.
I'm skeptical about trusting a shop simply based on having XXX number of reviews or "so and so said its really good", because not everyone knows exactly what to look for in a quality repair.
I think the one of the most important things when choosing a shop is talking to the estimator as they will usually be the one overlooking the repair process. You can tell a lot about a shop based on conversations with the estimator and I can generally tell if they know what they are talking about. You likely wont be able to talk to the tech, but thats fine. If you communicate to the estimator what you're looking for, they will generally relay that to the technician and make sure its done well before letting you know your car is ready
I spoke with her and explained that I wanted the job done right. I also told her I didn't want any detail or wash following the repair. I think she understood I'm not the "average" customer.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts