VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok… I’m probably gonna be looking for a new car in the near future (next 2 months) and have a dilemma. I was waiting for Infiniti to reveal the new G35, but then found out (a few weeks ago) that the coupe won’t be out for well over another year. I was all ready to get it but I can’t wait 12+ months!
On top of that, in another year there are gonna be a ton of cars coming out… possible RX-7, Possible Supra, “G37”, BMW 335ci, possible coupe version of the Lexus IS, etc…
SO, do I buy a new car now (G35c, or maybe wait a few months for Z4 coupe) OR do I buy a certified used car for a year (hoping it won’t depreciate much) and then go for one of the new cars coming out next year (08’ models)?

Thanks... just curious as to what others would do.

·
Registered
28,779 Posts
Re: New car now OR used car for a year until 08’ cars are available? (MrSTEAK)

If your goal is to minimize depreciation costs over a year, buy the car with the smallest dollar amount of depreciation that you find acceptable for the year.
E.g. if you can find a $500 beater that will last a year, you can probably sell it for that much at the end of the year. Of course, you may not want to drive a typical $500 beater for a year... Or you can just keep driving one of the Preludes you already have for a year...
Of course, if you are in New York city, you may be able to do without a car by just taking the subway and buses (renting cars for occasional trips out of the city). Then you'll have no car depreciation or parking expenses.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: New car now OR used car for a year until 08’ cars are available? (tjl)

Quote, originally posted by tjl »
If your goal is to minimize depreciation costs over a year, buy the car with the smallest dollar amount of depreciation that you find acceptable for the year.
E.g. if you can find a $500 beater that will last a year, you can probably sell it for that much at the end of the year. Of course, you may not want to drive a typical $500 beater for a year... Or you can just keep driving one of the Preludes you already have for a year...
Of course, if you are in New York city, you may be able to do without a car by just taking the subway and buses (renting cars for occasional trips out of the city). Then you'll have no car depreciation or parking expenses.

My 89' died, and I got the 2000 which was totaled (and saved my life). SO I haven't had a car in a year, so I NEED one like a fish needs water.
I thought about buying a used NSX for a year, figuring that it wouldn't lose much value (but that's just wishful thinking on my part.)

·
Registered
16,092 Posts

Quote, originally posted by MrSTEAK »
My 89' died, and I got the 2000 which was totaled (and saved my life). SO I haven't had a car in a year, so I NEED one like a fish needs water.
I thought about buying a used NSX for a year, figuring that it wouldn't lose much value (but that's just wishful thinking on my part.)

Uh... it will take you to the cleaners on insurance and you will be praying to god that it doesnt get dented, nicked or scratched.

·
Registered
16,092 Posts
Re: New car now OR used car for a year until 08’ cars are available? (Corbic)

Sounds like your looking at some high dollar cars. I'd pick up something nice that suites your tastes and drive it for two years. E36 Coupe maybe, EP03's are easy to find for 10k and I have the feeling prices will rise or stay stable as people realise how cool the hatch is and you can swap in a K20A (or whatever) for cheap enough to make it into a Type-R clone.
EP03 Si is cheaper then a EX Coupe these days.

·
Premium Member
Lotus Exige, Abarth 124 Spider, Fiat 500e
22,578 Posts

This decision is really up to you...why don't you go test drive a bunch of cars and see if anything satisfies you. Have you driven the new GTI, Z4, SLK, RX8, Mini Cooper S Works, etc...? I'm sure you can find a car that is out now which will satisfy you.
If I were you, I would find something to drive that is out now, new or used, and commit to keeping it.

·
Registered
16,092 Posts
Re: New car now OR used car for a year until 08’ cars are available? (Wimbledon)

Quote, originally posted by Wimbledon »
This decision is really up to you...why don't you go test drive a bunch of cars and see if anything satisfies you. Have you driven the new GTI, Z4, SLK, RX8, Mini Cooper S Works, etc...? I'm sure you can find a car that is out now which will satisfy you.
If I were you, I would find something to drive that is out now, new or used, and commit to keeping it.

Yeah, maybe look for a nice 24 month lease deal, so you can drive new with warrenty and then ditch it in 2 yeas when your cars of choice are on the market. Then you really don't have to worry much about depreciation and you will not have those used car fears for repairs and up keep.
RSX-S has some nice deals going, as well as the RX-8 IIRC.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Re: New car now OR used car for a year until 08’ cars are available? (Wimbledon)

The RX8 is fun to drive, but to me it's overpriced. (For a car that price, the performance isn’t up to par… especially not to justify the lousy mileage.)
I don’t like the Mini or GTI (although the GTI is the first VW I’ve liked in years). I’ll probably test drive the SLK, but I don’t think it comes in stick. (No clutch = deal breaker.)
The only cars I like (or could love) out now are the G35c, IS350 (no clutch), and the soon to be available Z4 coupe. (Big fan of the STi, but I kinda want something a little nicer/more mature.)

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·

Quote, originally posted by Corbic »

Yeah, maybe look for a nice 24 month lease deal, so you can drive new with warrenty and then ditch it in 2 yeas when your cars of choice are on the market.

Hmmm... Definitely do-able...
I’d just have to crunch the numbers to see if I’d be losing more on a lease VS buying a used car and selling it.

·
Premium Member
22,578 Posts

The RX8 is fun to drive, but to me it's overpriced. (For a car that price, the performance isn’t up to par… especially not to justify the lousy mileage.)
I don’t like the Mini or GTI (although the GTI is the first VW I’ve liked in years). I’ll probably test drive the SLK, but I don’t think it comes in stick. (No clutch = deal breaker.)
The only cars I like (or could love) out now are the G35c, IS350 (no clutch), and the soon to be available Z4 coupe. (Big fan of the STi, but I kinda want something a little nicer/more mature.)

I was just giving some examples; there has got to be a car made by some manufacturer that you will like once you test drive it. The reason why I mentioned SLK was that I was very impressed after riding in an SLK350 6-speed manual (they have 268 hp too). What about a used B6 S4 or E46 M3? Also, if you find the STI rowdy, you should look at the limited edition STI Limited (which is sans wing, adds leather, moonroof, small lip spoiler, more conservative wheels, etc.

Modified by Wimbledon at 11:43 PM 4/20/2006

·
Premium Member
22,578 Posts

Hmmm... Definitely do-able...
I’d just have to crunch the numbers to see if I’d be losing more on a lease VS buying a used car and selling it.

What about the Mazdaspeed6? I believe it also has a 289 a month lease deal out right now too.

·
Registered
16,092 Posts

How is the "performance" not up to par?
It seats four, gets about 18mpg (compared to the 19mpg a 350z gets)
has amazing handeling and steering feed back. It is also damn fast doing 0-60 in about 5.7 seconds. So what if the HP number isn't high, the car is light as a feather and the brakes are excellent.
You can normally pick them up for about 25k fully loaded (sticker 31k) and I'm sure, once again some awsome lease rates.

·
Registered
16,092 Posts

I’ll probably test drive the SLK, but I don’t think it comes in stick. (No clutch = deal breaker.)

Wait, you think the RX-8 is over priced but your considering a SLK?

·
Premium Member
22,578 Posts

This is not a popular choice, but how about a Chrysler Crossfire SRT-6?

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·

I was just giving some examples; there has got to be a car made by some manufacturer that you will like once you test drive it. The reason why I mentioned SLK was that I was very impressed after riding in an SLK350 6-speed manual (they have 268 hp too). What about a used B6 S4 or E46 M3?

Woah… I didn’t know the SLK came with a 6-speed manual! It’s a bit pricey, but it’s definitely a contender now.
*I’d trying to stay away from M3’s and S4’s, just cause I’m a bit wary of their maintenance costs (let alone if anything goes wrong with em.)

·
Premium Member
22,578 Posts

Also, if you like the Z4 coupe, you probably would like the Z4 roadster which is out now. You could also get a great deal on a remaining 2006 Audi TT 3.2 Quattro Special Edition.

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
The SLK is expensive, but look at it, it's one sexy ****en car!
The RX8 is a fun car, but it's not as bad ass as the Z, or stylish asG35c. I've driven both the G35c and RX8 pretty hard and they both have their strong suits. But I think the G35c is a much more well rounded car (especially if I'm gonna be living with it for the next 4+ years)
*Also the RX8 says it's supposed to get like 18/25mpg, but it doesn't. It's really pretty bad. (A buddy has one and that's his only problem with it.)

·
Registered
487 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·

Also, if you like the Z4 coupe, you probably would like the Z4 roadster which is out now. You could also get a great deal on a remaining 2006 Audi TT 3.2 Quattro Special Edition.

Not a fan of the old TT's.... the new ones are pretty hot though. And I can't ven look at a Z4 roadster now after going to the autoshow and seeing the coupe in person...
The coupe is just on a whole different level.

·
Registered
16,092 Posts

Woah… I didn’t know the SLK came with a 6-speed manual! It’s a bit pricey, but it’s definitely a contender now.
*I’d trying to stay away from M3’s and S4’s, just cause I’m a bit wary of their maintenance costs (let alone if anything goes wrong with em.)

C6
Costs less then an SLK, looks better and will no doubt be a solid running car. SLK and Z4 will most likely be just as expensive to keep running as the M3 and S4.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.