VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 21 Posts

· Registered
16,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I recently traded the GTi for a used car from a dealership. Upon trading I asked the sales person if I needed to grab the plate off of the VW, because I know in AZ plates stay with the Owner of the Car, not the car. He told me "they will send you a new one". Does anyone know if this is true? Should I have taken the plate? Or does that only apply for Private sales? It has been almost 1 and 1/2 months and still no plate. However, I did move from when I originally got the car to now, but I did submit a change of address form with the USPS, so if the plate was sent to my old place I would hope it would have been forwarded to my new address.
TIA

· Registered
6,364 Posts
Re: New Car Plate License Question (BlckBadged_SwissChee)

U should have removed your plate. Lat time I traded a car in I kept my plate. I would follow up with MVD and see whats up ... I thought they usually cut you a check for the plate credit.
Then again what do i know

· Registered
16,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Re: New Car Plate License Question (..freddyinaz..)

Quote, originally posted by ..freddyinaz.. »
U should have removed your plate. Lat time I traded a car in I kept my plate. I would follow up with MVD and see whats up ... I thought they usually cut you a check for the plate credit.
Then again what do i know

Thats what I get for taking the advice of someone who does trade ins on a daily basis. I attempted to call the MVD today and after 15 minutes of holding I figured I would try again later heheheh

· Registered
11,806 Posts

This is confusing because in April when I traded my Golf for the Jetta I was given the plates from the Golf but they also sent me new plates for the Jetta which were totally different.

· Registered
136 Posts

If you had credit remaining you could have transfered your plate minus a $12 transfer fee. It is probably too late now to transfer but you can do a plate refund at https://az.gov/webapp/refund/start.do , they will send you a check minus a $12 fee as long as you have a minimum of that much remaining. If you do not transfer a plate you are supposed to take the plate off of the vehicle because when you request a refund you have to certify that you have either destroyed the plate or that you will surrender the plate to the MVD.

Also since you did not transfer the plate they will send you a new plate. You can also check your trp to find out if the dealer transfered it for you with out telling you.

Lastly I do not believe they are allowed to forward license plates, the usps are supposed to send the plates back to the MVD.
If you have anymore questions let me know

· Registered
13,853 Posts

Quote, originally posted by BlckBadged_SwissChee »
not a VW, my motives were based on needs, not desire.

So what is it?

· Registered
1,964 Posts

I just traded my Jetta for a R32 and I kept the Plate but the Dealership sent me a new one that came from the DMV... the reason is that when they do the paperwork and notify the dmv they might decide to get you a new plate instead of you keeping the old one...
This is what my guy @ the dealship told me ..

· Registered
222 Posts
Re: New Car Plate License Question (lowassveedub)

i kept my plates once that's because i had another year on the tags. but the 2nd time the tags where up and they got me a new plate.
Trav, there's like an mvd office on central and baseline....down the street from your place.

· Banned
597 Posts
Re: New Car Plate License Question (sEEoneR)

what u get? and yea h your supposed to keep your plates because they are still good until they expire so you just gave plates to the dealer that you paid for. i hate how ****ing car dealers will take every chacne to rape a *****.

· Registered
16,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Re: New Car Plate License Question (Jimmy LeSueur)

Quote, originally posted by Jimmy LeSueur »
If you had credit remaining you could have transfered your plate minus a $12 transfer fee. It is probably too late now to transfer but you can do a plate refund at https://az.gov/webapp/refund/start.do , they will send you a check minus a $12 fee as long as you have a minimum of that much remaining. If you do not transfer a plate you are supposed to take the plate off of the vehicle because when you request a refund you have to certify that you have either destroyed the plate or that you will surrender the plate to the MVD.

Also since you did not transfer the plate they will send you a new plate. You can also check your trp to find out if the dealer transfered it for you with out telling you.

Lastly I do not believe they are allowed to forward license plates, the usps are supposed to send the plates back to the MVD.
If you have anymore questions let me know

OK, now I have another question. I just went to the Refund Place and it shows that license plate is for my new car, not the GTi. Do I still need to do a refund since I do not have the actual plate, or should I assume it is in the mail?
Thanks for all the info everyone

· Registered
16,807 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Re: New Car Plate License Question (Jimmy LeSueur)

OK so I called the MVD and they said I received a credit and transferred the plate to the new car, and that I should have kept the plate off of the GTi. So now I have to call the dealership and find out if they have my plate (which I doubt). This stuff is confusing.

· Registered
1,069 Posts

The dealer is supposed to remove the plate, make a copy of it and hand it back to you. That's what we do here. Any remaining credit you have left will be applied to the new plate. then once you getyour new tags in the mail you can put your plate on the new car. Chances are the saleman was new or just not really paying attention. If they are going to sell your trade in on the lot then chances are they still have your plate. If they whole saled it you maybe out of luck. Call the dealer and ask for a manager. If they screwed up and lost your plate then they owe you new ones and you shouldn't have to pay the dif.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.