VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

· Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I'm sure the poll may be a bit biased being on an Audi site, but oh well; I'd like everyone's input.
I'm graduating college in a few weeks, and plan to buy my first "nice" car. I'm not too set on getting it right away, as the longer I wait, the more money I can save up. I'm torn between the following. All have their pros, and their cons; and if you have a suggestion, let's hear it.

· Registered
23,044 Posts
Re: New car suggestions? (nmulax)

Lexus will redesign IS300 in less than 2 years. If you don't mind current car's styling and interior materials, you should be able to get a good deal. S40 is overpriced, IMO, just like Legacy. You are buying a 2nd-tier European premium brand or 3rd-tier Japanese mainstream brand, in Legacy's case, for the price of a 1st-tier European sports sedans. I would also added facelifted C-Class in the shopping list given the significant improvements, in terms of steering, handling and interior quality. If you prefer something unique and different, don't forget to check out Saab's 9-3. 9-3 is a great car that has been underrrated by automotive press. 9-3 Aero also represents great value with unique Saab character and performance. Of course, best of all, wait for B7 A4 given all the rave reviews in Europe regarding its dynamic qualities and 2.0T engine.

TSX and TL are nice cars that worth a test drive.These 2 cars are quite different, in terms of tuning. TSX is more sport-oriented with firmer suspension while TL is more of a blvd cruiser with faster engine.

Modified by A4Jetta at 7:55 PM 11/20/2004

· Registered
2,278 Posts
Re: New car suggestions? (A4Jetta)

It is hard to say, since half of those cars are not available for purchase yet. I think it will be a tough choice between the B7 and the E90. Although I am less than thrilled with BMW's new designs... They are still overall very nice cars.
A friend of mine just had the Volvo as a rental car when his TrailBlazer got T-Boned... that thing was nice on the inside, but I felt like I was 65 years old riding around in it. That would be my last choice.
I like the IS300 design a lot, and it is definitely one of the more sporty cars of the group, but like you said it is up for a redesign soon. And the Suede/Leather combo interior looks cheap to me. Also, if you have ever driven one, you know how confusing it is trying to figure out what guage is what in those things.
I would like to see reviews on the new C-Class, MBZ has never dissapointed me.
I like Saab's new designs, but still wouldn't drive one

· Registered
1,309 Posts
Re: New car suggestions? (A4Jetta)

Quote, originally posted by A4Jetta »
Lexus will redesign IS300 in less than 2 years. If you don't mind current car's styling and interior materials, you should be able to get a good deal. S40 is overpriced, IMO, just like Legacy. You are buying a 2nd-tier European premium brand or 3rd-tier Japanese mainstream brand, in Legacy's case, for the price of a 1st-tier European sports sedans. I would also added facelifted C-Class in the shopping list given the significant improvements, in terms of steering, handling and interior quality. If you prefer something unique and different, don't forget to check out Saab's 9-3. 9-3 is a great car that has been underrrated by automotive press. 9-3 Aero also represents great value with unique Saab character and performance. Of course, best of all, wait for B7 A4 given all the rave reviews in Europe regarding its dynamic qualities and 2.0T engine.

TSX and TL are nice cars that worth a test drive.These 2 cars are quite different, in terms of tuning. TSX is more sport-oriented with firmer suspension while TL is more of a blvd cruiser with faster engine.

Modified by A4Jetta at 7:55 PM 11/20/2004
totally agreeing with you. http://****************.com/smile/emthup.gif

· Registered
'14 ML350, '12 Miata, '10 MINI, '03 FLHTCUI
5,588 Posts
Re: New car suggestions? (nmulax)

I made the same decision back in May. G35 vs 330 vs A4. Went with the A4 due to the great deals out there.
Check into leftover B6's, too. Smoking deals and great money rates. S4's also have good lease deals if you're into leasing.
I think a B6 UltraSport looks better than the B7's.

· Registered
91 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
• I'm planning on purchasing rather then leasing since I'll be investing some time/money into the car. Because of this, I'm less inclined to go with a B6 A4 or the is300 (I don't want to drop around 30k, only to have the "old body style" a few months down the road).

• I have also heard the Lexus is a problem for taller drivers (I'm 6'2")?
• I love the looks of the Saab 9-3, and was pleased with the test-drive... but the fact that it's basically a GM vehicle is a deterent.
• I love the A4, except for the tail-lights (reminds me of a Honda for some reason). But if it has everything else I want (quattro, turbo-charged 4, awesome interior)... I can learn to like the exterior right?

· Registered
23,044 Posts
Re: (nmulax)

Its true IS300's interior is cramped. The back seat legroom makes E46 feels like an S-Class really speaks something regarding its space, or therefore, lack of. The front passenger space is adequate.
You don't feel anything like a GM vehicle at all in 9-3. It feels every inch a "real Saab". Excellent ergonomics, peppy turbo performance and agile handling dynamics with superb ride quality.
As for B7 tailights, I feel it looks more like an A6 mix with A8 instead of Honda.

· Registered
1,171 Posts
Re: (A4Jetta)

i would wait for new passat pictures to be released(next month). i am generally very open minded to new automotive styles/designs, but the new a4 awful IMO. the new corporate look works ok on the a3, a6. but falls down hard when implemented on one of the cleanest designs ever(b6 a4). at least with the a3/a6 you can color match the plat holder in the middle of the grille and it will look ok. but you can not do anything with the headlights, silly creases inthe body, or taillights.
i can even deal with the new jetta/golf, again you can pait the filler in the middle of the grilles on those cars and all is well.
good luck

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.