VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
5,276 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Really tall 5th and 6th gear for the manual? :eek:

Better than the 9-speed auto highway mileage.

TDI Tonic: Chevrolet Cruze Diesel Sedan Gets Up to 52 MPG

http://blog.caranddriver.com/tdi-tonic-chevrolet-cruze-diesel-sedan-gets-up-to-52-mpg/

Despite all the Volkswagen muck that has besmirched diesel power, Chevrolet is one of the manufacturers that are sticking with the alternative powertrain and pushing forward with new models. Chevrolet is once again launching a diesel option for the latest generation of its compact, the Cruze, and its just-announced EPA ratings of up to 52 mpg highway should raise some eyebrows.

The diesel’s fuel-economy numbers are notably better than the gasoline-powered model’s. According to the EPA, the Cruze diesel sedan paired with a six-speed manual transmission (yes!) gets 30 mpg city, 52 mpg highway, and 37 mpg combined. With a nine-speed automatic, the figures are 31 mpg city, 47 mpg highway, and 37 mpg combined. The gasoline-powered Cruze with manual transmission is rated at 28 mpg city, 39 mpg highway, and 32 mpg combined and with automatic gets 30 mpg city, 40 mpg highway, and 34 mpg combined.

The engine in the Cruze diesel is a turbocharged 1.6-liter inline-four, and Chevrolet says it makes 137 horsepower and 240 lb-ft of torque, although it did not specify where in the rev range those numbers occur. As we previously reported, the Cruze diesel sedan starts at $24,670 with the manual transmission and $26,270 with the automatic. The diesel engine also will make its way into the Cruze hatchback for the 2018 model year.

With the Golf and Jetta diesels gone for good, the Cruze is now the only compact car to offer such an engine, so it has that part of the market cornered. Is this where disaffected TDI buyers will come to find solace? Chevrolet must hope so.

·
Registered
51,489 Posts
In before someone says it isn't any better than a Cavalier. ;)

·
Registered
51,489 Posts
Well...:rolleyes: :laugh:

I wonder if you can get this in the hatch?
Imagine if GM chose to sell this engine in a wagon version with a manual. All those JSW/GSW TDI owners would have buck up and bow to Chevy. :laugh:

·
Registered
37,290 Posts
MY only gripe is it needs HIDs/LEDs......
Do all you people who say things like this drive at night in rural areas a lot? I've been driving for well over 20 years now, almost exclusively in cars with widely panned headlights. One of them, my old Civic, were so bad I could barely even tell if they were on or not. It never mattered because I live in a city where everything is well lit at night. It would be easy to drive for hours at a time with just park lights on here and no headlights at all with rarely any troubles. Headlights matter exactly 0% to me, but I regularly see people on TCL complain about it. In fact, I have ONLY seen people on TCL talk about headlights. In all my years, I don't think I've ever met anyone, anywhere who's talked about headlights.

·
Banned
18,567 Posts
Do all you people who say things like this drive at night in rural areas a lot? I've been driving for well over 20 years now, almost exclusively in cars with widely panned headlights. One of them, my old Civic, were so bad I could barely even tell if they were on or not. It never mattered because I live in a city where everything is well lit at night. It would be easy to drive for hours at a time with just park lights on here and no headlights at all with rarely any troubles. Headlights matter exactly 0% to me, but I regularly see people on TCL complain about it. In fact, I have ONLY seen people on TCL talk about headlights. In all my years, I don't think I've ever met anyone, anywhere who's talked about headlights.
x2, it's just TCL bull****. All production headlights are fine for driving.

I actually prefer dimmer headlights because it makes it easier to see outside your headlight's reach. Some of these LED/xenon/BiGaynonLEDick headlights are really too damn bright.

·
Registered
18,488 Posts
Once you go HID/LED, you don't go back.

I drive a 2017 Elantra with Projector halogens and rented a 2016 Corolla with projector LED.

So much better at night..... the beam is also wider so you can see both left and right of your lane.

Cruze is the only car in the segment without HID/LED available.

·
2011 BMW 328i xDrive Touring 6MT ZSP
48,876 Posts
In Canada, the manual sedan is $25,895 including freight. Not bad.

For $3200 more you get an option package that includes a sunroof, leather seats, 8" touchscreen in place of the standard 7", heated steering wheel, Bose 9 speaker stereo, rear park assist, blind zone/lane change alert, and rear cross traffic alert. So $29k. That's a great value.

·
Registered
23,389 Posts
Part of the reason I got a Corolla for my wife were its headlights. She was having a little trouble seeing at night (mostly glare related due to okay halogens) but this car's headlights are so good and light the road in front of the car so well that she feels a lot more comfortable. It has Bi-LEDs (different from earlier Corollas that had halogen high beams) and they are so good that they already have me looking for potential upgrades for my Yaris (not finding much aside from full retrofits).

The halogens on my Yaris are pretty good but just whelming in comparison, especially on those dark days when it is raining and everything is slick -- they don't seem to do much. The Corolla projects out a big, uniformly rectangular plane of light that stops just below the windshield level of oncoming vehicles. It is outstanding for spotting deer in the bushes on the shoulder since it is almost as bright as in front of the car. And it really helps on roads in poor condition where the striping is mostly worn away and there are no reflectors.

My mom is about as disinterested in cars as you could get and as soon as she got in the Corolla she commented on how good the headlights were. I have always had average single-bulb halogen headlights and always thought they were fine (aside from the Ford Ranger) but these are a quantum leap in performance.

·
Registered
2,265 Posts
Hmm, I'm doing pretty well with my diesel "compact" car as well. Would probably have easily 2+ more MPG if not for AWD. Not even sure I miss manuel as its not offered.

Best MPG to date is 47.8 MPG, over 700 miles on the tank.

Psst, comes in [email protected] brown if that floats your boat:

1 - 20 of 38 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.