VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 20 of 92 Posts

·
Administrator
3,909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey all. I thought I would go over the new Classifieds forums and Conversation (private message) rules. I want to offer an explanation of how the rules work, why they were put in place and how the site handles automatic promotions.

The How
In order to either create a new thread or reply to an existing one in any Classified forum, as well as send a new Private Message (Conversation), every member must meet two pieces of criteria: a minimum post count (at least 10) and must be registered for at least 10 days. As of today, I have updated somewhere around 15,000 existing members so that their permissions are already set. For anyone else that begins to meet the criteria, the site will automatically promote them every hour (at 23 minutes past the hour, more on this later).

The Why
Along with the regular spam that every forum has received since the beginning of forums, scammers have now decided that forums are ripe for attacks. They usually post or send a private message saying something like "Hey, my brother has this part, email him at blah blah blah" and then they proceed to tell you they can only take payment via PayPal friends and family or a via a service where where you, the buyer, have pretty much no way to get your money back. These folks are easy to spot but you would be shocked how many fall victim. I set these rules up daily and they have become a very effective tool to fight these scumbags. It’s a mild inconvenience to the communities themselves, but the alternative is we just let things devolve into the wild west.

The Automation
15,000+ members aside that I manually promoted, the site handles everything else automatically. If you have X posts and then you hit the minimum requirements (you must meet both), you will be queued up for promotion. As mentioned, this happens every hour. So, if you hit the post count at 10:45, you don't have long to wait (11:23 is the next promotion). If you happen to catch me cruising the site, I will usually try and promote you as I see requests. If you are an OG of the site but prefer to lurk rather than post, you can comment in this thread and I can promote you. There should be a very minimal need for this after today, but there's always a chance I missed folks or messed something up in setting up the rules (unlikely).

If you have any questions, please use this thread and either myself or the site staff will answer them as quickly as we see them.

-Mike

·
Registered
11 Posts
Hi Mike. Thanks for the explanation, I understand the why.

Next you mention:

member must meet two pieces of criteria: a minimum post count (at least 10) and must be registered for at least 10 days.

I have been registered beyond 10 days, so I will start making 10 posts now and look for account to be unlocked shortly then so I will be able to message/ start private conversation with the seller …

-Parker

·
Registered
1991 GTI G60
28 Posts
Thank you great explanation apologize for my rant post about being locked out this all makes sense now, (y)

·
Registered
2016 Golf R DSG
381 Posts
This is a great policy. I have been on other forums with a similar policy and it has really helped to weed out scammers or people only looking to buy or sell and move on. Just to put it out there for others, if you pay for premium upfront, before your 10/10, does that auto promote you?

·
Administrator
3,909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
This is a great policy. I have been on other forums with a similar policy and it has really helped to weed out scammers or people only looking to buy or sell and move on. Just to put it out there for others, if you pay for premium upfront, before your 10/10, does that auto promote you?
Currently no, but I can exempt premium users if the staff would like.

-Mike

·
Registered
2018 Golf GTi - GFG
13 Posts
I would like my account permission to be reverted back to “normal.”

I’ve been a member since 2018 and only look at parts forums. I don’t feel the need to post about vacuuming my hatch that was full of dog fur.

I apologize for the frankness of this post but after a number of support request and emails without a reply it was getting fairly frustrating. I missed out on a few great deals due to this.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Administrator
3,909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I would like my account permission to be reverted back to “normal.”

I’ve been a member since 2018 and only look at parts forums. I don’t feel the need to post about vacuuming my hatch that was full of dog fur.

I apologize for the frankness of this post but after a number of support request and emails without a reply it was getting fairly frustrating. I missed out on a few great deals due to this.

You only need two more posts. I'll go ahead and do the manual promotion (and I'm doing so in protest) but its unfortunate that you have no interest in contributing even just a handful of posts to the community. Hopefully that changes.

-Mike

·
Registered
2018 Golf GTi - GFG
13 Posts
You only need two more posts. I'll go ahead and do the manual promotion (and I'm doing so in protest) but its unfortunate that you have no interest in contributing even just a handful of posts to the community. Hopefully that changes.

-Mike
Thank you. I really appreciate that (even in protest). I have a feeling that forcing people to post will only increase spam posts. I’ll contribute when there’s a reason to. I don’t think five members of the vwvortex community are interested in whether I have OEM mats, Monster mats, or weather tech mats...I may be wrong though. Thanks again!

·
Registered
2015 Volkswagen CC R-Line
1 Posts
Thank you. I really appreciate that (even in protest). I have a feeling that forcing people to post will only increase spam posts. I’ll contribute when there’s a reason to. I don’t think five members of the vwvortex community are interested in whether I have OEM mats, Monster mats, or weather tech mats...I may be wrong though. Thanks again!

Hey all. I thought I would go over the new Classifieds forums and Conversation (private message) rules. I want to offer an explanation of how the rules work, why they were put in place and how the site handles automatic promotions.

The How
In order to either create a new thread or reply to an existing one in any Classified forum, as well as send a new Private Message (Conversation), every member must meet two pieces of criteria: a minimum post count (at least 10) and must be registered for at least 10 days. As of today, I have updated somewhere around 15,000 existing members so that their permissions are already set. For anyone else that begins to meet the criteria, the site will automatically promote them every hour (at 23 minutes past the hour, more on this later).

The Why
Along with the regular spam that every forum has received since the beginning of forums, scammers have now decided that forums are ripe for attacks. They usually post or send a private message saying something like "Hey, my brother has this part, email him at blah blah blah" and then they proceed to tell you they can only take payment via PayPal friends and family or a via a service where where you, the buyer, have pretty much no way to get your money back. These folks are easy to spot but you would be shocked how many fall victim. I set these rules up daily and they have become a very effective tool to fight these scumbags. It’s a mild inconvenience to the communities themselves, but the alternative is we just let things devolve into the wild west.

The Automation
15,000+ members aside that I manually promoted, the site handles everything else automatically. If you have X posts and then you hit the minimum requirements (you must meet both), you will be queued up for promotion. As mentioned, this happens every hour. So, if you hit the post count at 10:45, you don't have long to wait (11:23 is the next promotion). If you happen to catch me cruising the site, I will usually try and promote you as I see requests. If you are an OG of the site but prefer to lurk rather than post, you can comment in this thread and I can promote you. There should be a very minimal need for this after today, but there's always a chance I missed folks or messed something up in setting up the rules (unlikely).

If you have any questions, please use this thread and either myself or the site staff will answer them as quickly as we see them.

-Mike
Dope thanks for the explanation

·
Registered
1,738 Posts
I have met the criteria, but for some reason I still get, "You have insufficient privileges to post threads here" in the classifieds? :unsure:

Maybe because I've been inactive for such a long period? If you could promote me, that'd be great. (y)

·
Premium Member
6 Posts
Hi Mike,
I'm a long time "lurker" / reader but not a contributor, would it be possible for me to get access to this forum? If not I'll try to meet the post count. I've been a member since 2011 and just recently paid for premium.

Thanks!

·
Administrator
3,909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I have met the criteria, but for some reason I still get, "You have insufficient privileges to post threads here" in the classifieds? :unsure:

Maybe because I've been inactive for such a long period? If you could promote me, that'd be great. (y)
Looks like the site promoted you not long after you made this post. You should be all set :)

-Mike

·
Registered
4 Posts
I've been a member here for over 11 years and had 10k+ posts at one time. Mostly in a regional forum that was probably purged. I cannot PM or anything anymore. Looking for an admin to help me change my decade old username. Thanks.

·
Administrator
3,909 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
All set. Also, I'm rather shocked that 10k posts would have been purged. We (VS) never remove content unless we are absolutely forced to. Either way, your permissions have been updated.

-Mike

·
Registered
3,111 Posts
I have been a member since 2003 and have many post how do I get updated. I have not been on line for a while but still active.

·
Registered
1984 GT (16v), 2019 Golf Sportwagen (4motion 6MT), 1987 Chevy S-10,
10 Posts
I have been around for a while, but have always just lurked. Can you please allow me to PM? I'd like to reach out to someone in my area that has posted parts. Thanks.

1 - 20 of 92 Posts