VW Vortex - Volkswagen Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just noticed that my 1 day old Passat has REAL cupholders, next to the emergency brake. Since when did these start? I thought even 2002's had the crummy push out over the radio. It's great!
My only complaint so far is that the CD storage thing in the center bin won't close with CD's in it. Silly...why didn't they just make it an inch deeper, or carve out the lid a little? Quirk.

·
Registered
346 Posts
Re: New Cupholders! (bluegreenturtle)

Those cupholders started with the Passat "facelift" (2001.5's and newer).
The funniest thing about that center storage space is what VW calls it -- the "jumbo box." Yeah, right!

I find our "jumbo box" pretty useless except for a tire gauge (which only fits diagonally!).
Perr

·
Registered
300 Posts

I place my mobile phone and storage opener in the jumbo box. I also want a deeper storage box... Where can I down the upgrade version free?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Re: New Cupholders! (Cupholder)

quote:[HR][/HR]Have you noticed that little compartment to the left side of the steering wheel?[HR][/HR]​
Yes, but I don't have anything to put in it. If it were just a bit wider, it too, could accomodate cds. I take it back, I have a minidisc player that would fit there, but I wouldn't want to stretch cords under the steering wheel. Also the last time I left a minidisc player in a car, it got broken into. Nothing on the seats or dash from now on.
On that note, I would think that the new double din unit would be less appealing to steal? (Unless the thieves are older VW owners with envy?) (Also, I know that the stereo won't work if stolen, but people still take them anyway...)

·
Registered
372 Posts

quote:[HR][/HR]Have you noticed that little compartment to the left side of the steering wheel?
Yes, but I don't have anything to put in it. [HR][/HR]​
I'd put my garage clickers in there -- but I have homelink.

·
Registered
460 Posts
Re: New Cupholders! (darisgin)

There's a storage area to the left of the steering wheel (below the light switch) but that's not the one for the owner's manual. The place to put your manual is located below your steering wheel. It's very hard to notice sitting in the drivers seat. Some people have stated that their manual doesn't fit into it but mine fits fine.
Enjoy your new ride.

·
Registered
2,170 Posts

Same gripe here about CD storage. Since the owner's manual fits underneath the steering wheel, there's room in the glvoe box.
But, when the CD cases are stacked on the left side inside the glove box, you have to leave the bottom-most CD case jutting out (toward the passenger) just a bit so that it doesn't interfere with the glove box door.

·
Registered
33 Posts

I use the cd visor holder (holds 10) from any auto section to hold cd's BUT I dont put them on the sun visor, they work great in your glove box , this way when your driving just grab a sleve and theres 10 at your finger tips without needing to fumble through a cd book.... These things even come in colors so you can color code your music.... try it out. You may want to cut off the straps cuz you dont need them. Its basically just a flat cd holder. They sell for around $5.
This will leave your center box free for a cell phone, change.....

1 - 10 of 10 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.